The East team used solid pitching and timely hitting to secure a hard fought 5-3 victory in the inaugural Aflac All-American Baseball Classic. The event was televised nationally on Fox Sports Net and played live in front of 2,462 fans at Hammond Stadium in Fort Myers, Florida.
West standout Matt Bush delivered the Classics first ever home run and put the West on top. That lead evaporated quickly as MVP Award recipient Chris Nelson led a hard hitting East squad with three runs scored on two hits, including a home run blast late in the contest. East teamer Jay Rainville set the standard for pitching performances, as he threw two scoreless innings that included five strikeouts.
The game capped off a week of events that included a Home Run Derby, which was won by Eric Campbell with four home runs in the final round, and the Aflac All-American Awards Banquet that featured Hall of Famer Stan “The Man” Musial as the keynote speaker.
• MVP Award: Chris Nelson
• Home Run Derby Champion: Eric Campbell
• Hits: Chris Nelson (2)
• Runs: Chris Nelson (3), Greg Golson (2)
• Runs Batted In: Chris Nelson (3), Matt Bush (2)
• Home Runs: Matt Bush, Chris Nelson (1)
• Strikeouts: Nick Adenhart (5 in 3 innings), Jay Rainville, Mark Rogers (5 in 2 innings)
Perfect Game event profile