In front of 7,638 fans at PETCO Park, home of the San Diego Padres, the West team defeated the East 7-6 in the 10th edition of the Perfect Game All-American Classic presented by Rawlings.
Down 6-5 in the top of the seventh, Rowdy Tellez smoked a ball to left field that was hit so hard it rolled all of the way to the wall and allowed Tellez to advance to third with a stand-up two-run triple. On the play, Stephen Gonsalves and Kacy Clemens scored the game-tying and go-ahead runs as the West took the lead after trailing since the bottom of the second.
Gonsalves, who worked the bottom of the sixth inning for the West, picked up the win, while Clemens worked a scoreless ninth to earn the save.
Ryan Boldt was named the Classic's MVP by going 2-for-3 with a triple of his own.
Eighteen pitchers took the mound between both teams, with each pitcher working one inning a piece. All but one had a peak velocity of at least 90 mph, led by Kohl Stewart's 95 mph fastball, who started the game for the West. East pitchers Chris Oakley and Brett Morales each touched 94 mph.
Prior to the game the final round of the Rawlings Home Run Challenge was conducted. After hitting nine home runs in the first round of the Challenge, Justin Williams hit four more in the finals to win the challenge.
Clint Frazier was the only other participant to hit a home run in the final round of the Challenge, and was named the Jackie Robinson Player of the Year Award winner as part of the event's annual dinner banquet.
2012 Game Recap
2012 Box Score
2012 Event Blog
• MVP Award: Ryan Boldt
• Rawlings Home Run Derby Champion: Justin Williams
• Jackie Robinson Award: Clint Frazier
• Rawlings Defensive Player of the Year: Oscar Mercado
• New Balance Prospect of the Year: Dominic Smith
• Baseball America Pitcher of the Year: Robert Kaminsky
• Perfect Game Nick Adenhart Award: Jan Hernandez
• EvoShield SWAG Award: Cavan Biggio
• Hits: Ryan Boldt, Clint Frazier, Jeremy Martinez (2)
• Runs: Austin Meadows (2)
• Stolen Bases: John Paul Crawford (2)
• Runs Batted In: Clint Frazier, Cord Sandberg, Dominic Smith, Rowdy Tellez (2)
• Strikeouts: Ian Clarkin, Brett Morales (3 in 1 inning)
Perfect Game event profile