Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Whats wrong with ESPN.

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/6/2013 6:16:22 AM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
They are finally starting to televise College Baseball this season, and with all the great SEC and PAC-12 matchups you would think they would get one of them, but over all of those they pick Mizzou vs Georgia tonight on ESPNU. Now I know that the TV schedule is predetermined, but if I'm running a business like that I'm going for the ratings. Liberty at Coastal Carolina is the early game. Cmon. Heck even worse is I would love to see some PAC-12 games but the PAC Network isnt even televising baseball today.

--
91' 93' 96' 97' 00' 09' NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
+1 permalink
4/6/2013 9:04:57 AM

hogfan4life
hogfan4life
You said it, predetermined schedule. Terrible idea, they should pick a series each week or a single game, anything to ensure better ratings. Who in their right mind would sit and watch Missouri vs Georgia. Their fans probably won't even watch.
+1 permalink
4/6/2013 9:58:30 AM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
If you want more people to follow cbb this is not the way to do it

--
0 permalink
4/6/2013 5:04:57 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Okay, well apparently you SEC boys have few problems with ESPN. Us Left Coast guys have been hating ESPN for YEARS, so this is nothing new to us. Call it your 3 billion dollar contract with ESPN. The rest of the civilized world calls it SECPN. Glad to hear it ticks y'all off too.
0 permalink
4/6/2013 5:22:50 PM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
Call me crazy, but I've never viewed college baseball the same as I see football. I look at football mostly through conferences like the SEC and everybody else. But for baseball I just enjoy the game and following everyone.

Fla Beaver, I always had the impression that everybody hated ESPN. Not just SEC people. Maybe for football the hate for ESPN can be stronger outside of the SEC, but when it comes to baseball I think everyone has more than enough reason to hate them.

Although during Baseball season I pray that ESPN doesn't cover LSU baseball. The announcers and the coverage is terrible. LSU baseball is on tv regionally every weekend once SEC play starts thanks to Cox. That's how I like it.
0 permalink
4/6/2013 6:15:39 PM

borgguy
borgguy
it isnt just espn, although as the "worldwide leader" they are the easiest scapegoat. But once baseball leaves Williamsport and until it gets to Omaha there is almost NO national coverage of baseball it seems (with the notable exceptions of PG, BA and a couple other websites), and very little regional coverage outside of local radio and newspapers. Thank goodness for conference telelvision networks so we can at least watch SOME college baseball, and the P12 network streaming most of the games online (see Opihimans post pinned at the top)

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
4/6/2013 6:29:15 PM

hogfan4life
hogfan4life
I will watch anybody play college baseball if it is an intriguing matchup. ESPN is my only option unfortunately. Don't get any of the special conference networks and don't have Cox cable in my area. So I get stuck with Mizzou/Georgia (yuck)
0 permalink
4/6/2013 6:33:52 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Do you guys not see the...***Live Video Links***...that OpihiMan updates? Yes, Pac-12 heavy, but has free video for several leagues listed. Find a good game and watch.
0 permalink
4/6/2013 6:47:03 PM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
It's not about a contract with ESPN or live feeds at all. My deal is I want the great hidden Gem of college baseball to be more exposed, and even though I will watch the game tonight, this game doesn't appeal to the less than average fan and therefore serves no purpose than to waste air time.

--
0 permalink
4/7/2013 8:17:13 PM

jdh008
jdh008
Before I say anything else, I want to mention that I have been pleased with the sheer amount of college baseball ESPN has committed airtime to. ESPNU has the SEC Thursday and ACC Monday package along with various games during the weekend, but they have also put a ton of games on ESPN3 this season. On any given Tuesday, there are a couple of games and on the weekends, it seems like there are five or six every day.

With that being said, I agree with the OP's sentiment and it isn't just this season. The SEC games seem to be so random sometimes. Maybe there is some reason that ESPN can only show certain games, but the scheduling certainly does get weird.

On another random note, has anyone noticed how often St. John's is on ESPN3 this season? And it's not just on the weekend when they are playing conference games. They have had midweek games against the likes of New York Tech and Wagner on ESPN3. I know they won a regional last season and they are relatively close to ESPN's "campus," but UConn (a program even closer to ESPN) won a regional and had a bunch of high draft picks a couple of years ago and they didn't, and still don't, get that kind of treatment. I'm not complaining (although I realize it sounds like it), but I just find it somewhat strange.

--
TheFanManifesto.com
0 permalink
4/9/2013 8:49:37 PM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
Good points jdh. Its not really a gripe from me about the coverage, but I want the sport to become bigger for the fans, and showing weak series with about 10 people in the stands isnt good for the sport.

--
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Whats wrong with ESPN.