Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Sooner Thoughts as OU Takes a Break

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/6/2011 4:20:33 PM

Rosita
Rosita
On College Baseball Daily, Brian Foley writes, “I don’t understand how Oklahoma continues to roll through the season.” Well, I can see his point, sort-of.

It is true that OU doesn’t have any players who are likely to be first round draft picks in the MLB draft. On ESPN’s MLB Draft Blog, Jason Churchill writes that two of the top OU players, Garret Buechele and Tyler Ogle, are most likely to be picked early on the second day of the draft if they have big years. Likewise, with the exception of Burch Smith, OU’s pitchers are probably not going to go very high in the draft either. Meanwhile, while the Big 12 is a solid conference, it’s not as sexy as others like the SEC or PAC 10. And, conference play hasn’t even started for OU yet, so the toughest competition is yet to come.
Still….
* Bobby Shore and Michael Rocha are very good college baseball pitchers. Along with Burch Smith, they comprise a formidable 1, 2, and 3. As for a #4? Well, the jury’s out. Maybe it will be Jordan John; maybe it will be Dillon Overton.

* The offense is a nice blend of speed and power, and OU players generally run the bases well.
* The defense has been solid for the most part.

* The bullpen is, well, a work-in-progress. It’s not that there haven’t been some fine performances. (Thank you, thank you, Dillon Overton for your stellar work against UT Arlington.) It’s just that there’s been so much inconsistency. It was telling when Sunny Golloway pulled Jack Mayfield (who was playing second base for the third day in a row) off of second base and put him on the mound on Saturday in relief of Smith. Why
Mayfield? The rest of the bullpen was well-rested, as Rocha and Shore had just pitched complete games. And then, when Mayfield got into trouble, Golloway left him in the game anyways. He wriggled out of his messes, but I am counting the games until closer Ryan Duke returns from his 15-game suspension for an unspecified violation of team rules. (One more game!)

In short, it’s been a great beginning of the season. If OU finds another consistent starter or two and gets its bullpen in order, I’ll feel even more confident about the team’s continued success.
0 permalink
3/7/2011 9:14:01 AM

E-Dub
E-Dub
Rosita, I loved what I saw of OU in the post-season last year, so I figured them to be good again. Rocha is the type of starter who doesn't get much respect but who pitches his tail off. My favorite hitter is max White, who appears to be pickign up where he left off, though can you tell me what gives with his error total? He's a real surprise as he's much more athletic than he appears on first glance.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Sooner Thoughts as OU Takes a Break