Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac 12 Player/Pitcher of Week 9

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/15/2013 7:31:57 PM

ASU74
ASU74
Updated April 15, 2013
By the Pac-12 Conference
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. — Oregon sophomore outfielder Scott Heineman has been named Pac-12 Player of the Week and USC junior left-handed pitcher Sean Silva has been tabbed Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week for April 8-14, the Conference office announced Monday.

Heineman batted .438 (7-for-16) with three doubles, three home runs, six RBI and five runs scored as the Ducks went 4-0 on the road and earned their first Conference road sweep since the program was reinstated in 2009. The Pacific Palisades, Calif. native, who finished the week with a .500 on-base percentage and a 1.188 slugging percentage, hit safely in all four outings and logged a pair of multiple-hit games against California over the weekend. Heineman, who entered the weekend with one career home run, went yard twice in Saturday’s 10-4 victory over the Bears and added a homer in Sunday’s 5-4 win in Berkeley. All three of his doubles and six of his seven hits came in the weekend set. He is batting .291 (37-127) on the year and has produced 24 RBI, a figure that ranks second on the team. He also ranks second on the squad with three home runs, and his 10 doubles rank third.

This is Heineman’s first career Pac-12 Player of the Week honor and Oregon’s ninth all-time selection.

In just his second career start on Friday, Silva pitched 6.0 innings and allowed one hit while striking out a career-high four batters in a 5-0 victory over Arizona State. The Fresno, Calif. product issued one walk and retired 18 of 22 batters he faced en route to earning his first career victory. He combined with freshman right-hander Brent Wheatley -- who did not allow a hit in three innings of relief -- to toss the Trojans’ first one-hitter since 1996. In eight appearances (two starts) in 2013 , Silva has struck out 12 batters and held opponents to a .258 batting average.

This is Silva’s first career Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week selection and USC’s 63rd all-time.

Also Nominated (Player): Johnny Field, ARIZ; Trever Allen, ASU; Beau Day, OSU; Justin Ringo, STAN; Timmy Robinson, USC; Michael Camporeale, WASH.

Also Nominated (Pitcher): James Farris, ARIZ; Jimmie Sherfy, ORE; Matt Boyd, OSU; John Hochstatter, STAN; Adam Plutko, UCLA.

2013 Pac-12 Players of the Week: Feb. 19 – Ryon Healy, Jr., 1B, ORE; Feb. 26 – Trever Allen, RS So., OF, ASU; March 5 – Michael Conforto, So., OF, OSU; March 12 – Tyler Smith, Sr., SS, OSU; March 19 – Michael Conforto, So., OF, OSU; March 26 – Dallas Carroll, Fr., 3B, UTAH; April 1 – Trent Gilbert, So., 2B, ARIZ; April 8 – RJ Ybarra, Fr., DH, ASU; April 15 – Scott Heineman; So., OF, USC.

2013 Pac-12 Pitchers of the Week: Feb. 19 – James Farris, Jr., RHP, ARIZ; Feb. 26 – Matt Boyd, Sr., LHP, OSU; March 5 – Mark Appel, Sr., RHP, STAN; March 12 – Trevor Williams, Jr., RHP, ASU; March 19 – Matt Boyd, Jr., RHP, OSU; March 26 – Ryan Kellogg, Fr., LHP, ASU; April 1 – Cole Irvin, Fr., LHP, ORE; April 8 – Scott Simon, RS So.., RHP, WSU; April 15 – Sean Silva; So., OF, USC.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
+1 permalink
4/15/2013 10:12:02 PM

borgguy
borgguy
I will grant them Heineman, but I dont understand Silva. yeah he only gave up one hit, but he only went 6 innings. Boyd threw a complete game shutout

--
GO BEAVS!
+1 permalink
4/15/2013 11:25:35 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
I was thinking the same thing, borg, but Boyd has won it twice already this year. Yes, his performance totally outshone Silva's, but I think they are hesitant to award the same guy that many times. And he came close to getting it two weeks ago, if not for some other guy limiting opposing batters to one fewer hit.

Heineman was worthy, especially considering the slugging. But let's see, .438 (7-for-16), OBP .500, 6 RBIs.
Beau Day's batting average this weekend was .857 (6 for 7), OBP .875, 4 RBIs. And that was in two games, not four.
0 permalink
4/16/2013 1:51:37 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Well guys, you know we have been getting a lion's share of player/pitcher of the week awards and there really isn't any reason to bitch, even though WE know who should have won. It's okay. Our young cousins to the south have UCLA and the Cardinal for the next two weeks. I think them duck wings are gonna get clipped, so let them have their little hoopla now so they won't cry so hard in a few weeks.
0 permalink
4/16/2013 11:07:12 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Clipped? Our low ERA is nothing of the past, but our team overall is the best that I have followed since reinstatement. We also have the most sweeps in conference play. With the change up of our pitching order, I think we are going to stay strong for the duration. I would think you would want the ducks to win every game, just like I want the beavs to win every game. We want a 1 and 2 RPI team playing each other. Much better overall IMO. Makes the pac look stronger, and also gives both teams a much better shot at making it to the CWS.
0 permalink
4/16/2013 11:08:20 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Civil War should decide the Pac12 title, and National seed IMO. Lets hope it does.
0 permalink
4/16/2013 11:09:01 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
http://www.d1baseball.com/head2head/h2h_pac12.htm
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac 12 Player/Pitcher of Week 9