Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 predictions: 2013 Week 11

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
| you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/24/2013 9:06:39 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Apologies ahead of time, Pac-12 fans. DM again has a very busy week and weekend ahead of him, so the commentary will be rather thin. Numbers are place in the conference standings (percentage-based).

This week’s games
#4 Stan at #2 Ore
#7 USC at #1 OSU
#3 UCLA at #8 WSU
#5 ASU at #11 Utah
#9 Cal at #10 UW
Alabama State [XAS] at #6 Ariz

An example ballot would look like this:
Stan 2-1
USC 2-1
WSU 2-1
Utah 3-0
Cal 3-0
XAS 2-1

Week 11 Series
  • Stanford visits Eugene for the Ducks’ second straight week as host of the conference’s top series this week. Oregon lost the first two games last week to UCLA on back-to-back binary scores (1-0) before salvaging a win on Sunday. The Cardinal showed they can still play ball by defeating Arizona 2-1 at home last week, losing only the second game, 10-9. Stanford has four conference series wins, two on the road, and only one loss, a home 2-1 affair to Utah. The Ducks have four wins too, three of them sweeps, to go along with two series losses, one on the road and last week’s loss at home.
  • USC travels to Corvallis to take on the Beavers. The Trojans are 2-4 in Pac-12 series this year, with all six series ending up 2-1 affairs. The Beavers suffered their first conference series loss last weekend in Seattle, but they’re home now, where they play a little better. The Trojans own the best all-time mark against the Beavers in the conference, a 48-22 record. Even if the OSU swept USC every year, it would take the Beavers more than eight years to even out that win-loss deficit. The problem is, even when USC is not particularly good, they still rarely get swept.
  • Wazzu looked to be he typical dark horse team of the conference when they opened conference play by beating ASU 2-1 in Tempe. But since then have lost all four conference series they’ve played 1-2, two on the road and two at home. An not necessarily to the top teams in the league either (namely Cal and Utah). UCLA is coming off an impressive road win against the Ducks and have only lost two series so far, to the 1st place Beavers and 5th place Devils.
  • ASU visits Salt Lake City to take on Utah in our conference mismatch series. Although, the Devils did lose one of three games to Valpo and Utah has played very tough baseball, especially defensively, notching series wins over Stanford and Wazzu. The Sun Devils need to use this series as a springboard into the upper ranks of the conference while some of the better teams beat each other up.
  • The ugly series this week is between 9th place Cal and 10th place Washington. You have to know the Huskies believe they can do anything at home, after beating the Beaver s2-1 last weekend. In fact they are 2-0 in home conference series so far.
  • The nonconference series is between Alabama State and Arizona. The Hornets are members of the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC), one of the lower Division 3 conferences. But they are second in the league with a 15-6 conference record and 27-18 (.600) overall record. Of course, they haven’t played nor beaten anybody of note, and their ISR is 209 (out of 298). But schools of their ilk have defeated the Arizona schools this year already (Columbia, Bethune-Cupcake, Valparaiso). Upset special?
0 permalink
4/26/2013 7:54:11 AM

BTExpress
BTExpress
Administrator
Dodger Matt wrote:
BT, it's good to have you. Do you live in the SLC area?

No DM, I'm just in SLC on business and head back home to Columbia, SC on Saturday. With my travels, I blow my per diem on whatever baseball is in town, i.e. Pro, Minors, College, High School. Better than sitting in a boring hotel room. Nothing beats a hot dog, beer/soda, and baseball!
+2 permalink
4/27/2013 9:13:42 AM

borgguy
borgguy
DAY ONE RECAP

OREGON 2 STANFORD 1
Stanford right-handed pitcher Mark Appel struck out nine, walked two and allowed just two runs (one earned) on eight hits in 8 1/3 innings, but the Ducks won in the bottom of the ninth on a walk-off single by Aaron Payne. UO starting pitcher Tommy Thorpe struck out seven, walked two and allowed a run on nine hits in 6 2/3 innings. The bullpen also did a terrific job with freshman left-handed hurler Garrett Cleavinger striking out three in 1 2/3 stellar innings.

OREGON LEADS SERIES 1-0

OREGON STATE 10 USC 4

Matt Boyd limited USC to three runs and five hits while striking out 11 in 8 1/3 innings Friday night to pace the seventh-ranked Beavers to a 10-4 win over the Trojans in front of a season-best 2,934 fans at Goss Stadium.The Beavers rapped out a season-best 20 hits, lead by Max Gordon, who finished 4-for-5 on the day with two runs driven in. All nine Oregon State batters posted at least one hit, with eight finishing with two or more.

OREGON STATE LEADS SERIES 1-0

UCLA 7 WASHINGTON STATE 6 (11)

Sophomore Shane Zeile hit a RBI single in the top of the 11th inning to lift the ninth-ranked UCLA Baseball team to a 7-6 victory over Washington State in extra innings on Friday night. Sophomore David Berg earned the win in relief to move to 5-0 on the year.
Berg tossed 3.2 innings for the Bruins, giving up four hits while striking out four. Jason Monda took the loss for the Cougars after pitching 2.1 innings and allowing one run on zero hits and four walks. Junior Adam Plutko started the game for UCLA, lasting five innings and being charged with four runs on eight hits.

UCLA LEADS SERIES 1-0

ARIZONA STATE 5 UTAH 4 (10)

The eighth-ranked Arizona State University baseball team scored two runs in the ninth and one in the 10th to rally for a 5-4 win in extra innings against Utah on Friday night at Spring Mobile Ballpark in Salt Lake City.
The Sun Devils (26-12-1, 9-7) trailed 4-2 heading into the top of the ninth before center fielder Kasey Coffman and third baseman Michael Benjamin each drove in runs to tie the game, 4-4.Shortstop Drew Stankiewicz hit the eventual game-winning RBI single to center field with two outs in the 10th inning after right fielder Trever Allen and pinch hitter Johnny Sewald reached base on a single and a walk, respectively.

ARIZONA STATE LEADS SERIES 1-0

WASHINGTON 3 CALIFORNIA 2 (12)

In the third extra inning game of the night and the fourth that was settled in the final frame Freshman Braden Bishop delivered a run-scoring single in the 12th as the UW baseball team out-lasted California, 3-2, in the first game of a three-game, Pac-12 series Friday at Husky Ballpark.
The Huskies (6-10 in the Pac-12, 14-26 overall) have now won five of their last six. Friday night, they gave up a run in the top of the 12th, but then scored two for the win. Cal dropped to 7-12 in the conference and 18-23 overall.

WASHINGTON LEADS SERIES 1-0

ARIZONA 8 ALABAMA STATE 2

Konner Wade pitched a complete game and Brandon Dixon blasted a three-run home run to pace Arizona to an 8-2 series-opening victory over Alabama State before a crowd of 2,583 on Friday evening at Hi Corbett Field.
Arizona (26-14) won for the eighth-consecutive time in its home ballpark to open a seven game home stand despite being out-hit, 11-10, by Alabama State (27-20).
Wade (W, 4-4) scattered the 11 hits and got stronger as the game progressed, allowing only three hits after the fourth inning en route to his seventh career complete game. The junior righty struck out five and did not issue a walk, while being charged with two runs allowed, but only one earned.

ARIZONA LEADS SERIES 1-0

--
GO BEAVS!
+1 permalink
4/27/2013 11:14:10 AM

ASU74
ASU74
From where I'm sitting all I can do is improve.....if not I'll take my bat, my ball & St. Pauli Girl and go home.
Cry

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
+1 permalink
4/27/2013 7:19:13 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Let me be the first to congratulate the Oregon Ducks on their first series win against a ranked opponent I may give them a hard time, but my arguments are fact based (even if they are loosely based). I can no longer claim they've beaten no one....they are now 1-4 in series against ranked opponents.
+1 permalink
4/28/2013 3:30:57 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
borgguy wrote:
hate to break it to ya BB but if the Duckies lose, so do you. BTExpress will win because he picked Ducks 2-1 while you picked a sweep, beyond that your picks are the same. so which is more important to you: taking a half game lead in the standings, or taking home the pick crown for this week? cuz ya cant do both

that's an easy one.I'd rather see BTEexpress win.
+1 permalink
4/28/2013 10:42:50 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
RD, we love you. The forum wouldn't be the same without you. You are a real sport to put up with us Beavers. If we didn't like you, we wouldn't spend as much time trying to get under your tail feathers.

With this said, I'm reminded of the soccer movie, "Kicking and Screaming," with Will Ferrell, Mike Ditka, and Robert Duvall. In the movie, Mike Ditka lived next door to Robert Duvall. Duvall played the father of Will Ferrill, a kid's soccer coach. Duvall was also a kid's soccer coach and father and son competed against each other. Ditka helped Ferrell coach his son's soccer team. Ditka and Duvall never got along as neighbors and would do whatever possible to make each other miserable. Toward the end of the movie, when Ferrill's team beat Duvall's team and they were having a BBQ at Duvall's house to celebrate, Will Ferrill asked Mike Ditka if he would stop blowing leaves over into Duvall's backyard. Ditka said: "It's what I do. My joy in life is to make Duvall as miserable as possible."

As a Beaver, my role in life is to dislike the Ducks and whenever possible, make their life miserable. RD, it's nothing personal.

http://www.sportsinmovies.com/movie.asp?mov=84

Riverduck wrote:
Riverduck wrote:
Dodger Matt wrote:
Grammar Moses making few points here. (Hate me for the grammar shiite, but some things bother me and require mention):

Congrats versus congrads: You congratulate someone, because the root word is gratis "thanks"; gradis means levels or grades. There is no giving "grades" when you you give thanks. IOW: congrats not congrads.
As an owner of a paper.. and having to deal with that crap on a weekly basis. Please.. this is baseball, not a paper that is judged by grammatical errors.. turn off our contributors. Pointing out grammatical errors is tacky and a disgrace to all. Last thing we need is a high school teacher telling us about our shortcomings when in comes to communicating in print. So, for the love of god, quit trying to hold up Mr. Bullokar.

Led versus lead. "Lead" (pronounced /led/) is a metal. Alchemists tried to to turn lead into gold. As a metal, it is referred to as "plumbum". If you look at battery notices, you might see a battery symbol with the letters "Pb" over it, which indicates a lead-acid battery. Plumbum also carries over into English in the words plumber (a guy who uses LEAD pipes) and a "plumb line" (that plumbers use to determine a perpendicular line). Lead (pronounced /leed/ is the infintive form of the verb, to lead. "Leaders lead today. Yesterday, leaders led.

So "The Beavers rapped out a season-best 20 hits, LED by Max Gordon, who finished 4-for-5 on the day with two runs driven in."

Note: Led Zeppelin, like Def Leppard, is an intentional misspelling. If it were to be construed as an intentional spelling, one would have to understand that some one was pulling the zeppelin by a string attached to its nose; that it would be a "led" zeppelin.

Yeah.. I think whoever wrote that, was hurried, or could care less. The nice thing about comprehension is spelling is not always the end all. I am not supporting the communication, but did understand. I appreciate contributions from the community, and hope, that whoever commented is not turned off by someone in the peanut gallery who thinks grammar is above tact. Just saying. I know you guys hate me anyway, but chill out.
edited by Riverduck on 4/28/2013

edited by BeaverBob on 4/28/2013
+1 permalink
4/28/2013 11:09:13 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
And as a note of Oregon Dominance.. Pilots, Beavs and Ducks posted an In state record of 9-0 this weekend. Way to go!
+1 permalink
4/29/2013 12:14:39 AM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Protect yourself FB. I'm hearing way too much talking from RD about approaching from the rear or from behind. I'd be concerned that RD wants to go down in the Anals of history.

Florida Beaver wrote:
Riverduck wrote:
Dodger Matt wrote:
Season totals

WKS . TTL . . . AVG . . . NAME . . . . . . 04/21 . 04/14
--------------------------------------------------------
wks. ttl. . . avg . . . name . . . . . 04/28. 04/21 . 04/14
7. . 142.2. . 20.31. . hogfan4life . . . 1. . . 1 . . . 3
7. . 141.2. . 20.17. . OpihiMan. . . . . 2. . . 3 . . . 4
7. . 140.0. . 20.00. . BeaverBob . . . . 3. . . 8 . . . 8
7. . 139.0. . 19.86. . beaverstate69 . . 4. . . 2 . . . 1
7. . 138.2. . 19.74. . Dodger Matt . . . 5. . . 5 . . . 5
7. . 135.6. . 19.37. . borgguy . . . . . 6. . . 4 . . . 2
7. . 135.0. . 19.29. . WildCard85. . . . 7. . . 6 . . . 7
7. . 130.2. . 18.60. . Florida Beaver. . 8. . . 9 . . . 9
7. . 130.2. . 18.60. . SouthernBeaver. . 9. . . 7 . . . 6
7. . 128.6. . 18.37. . RiverDuck. . . . 10. . .11 . . .12
7. . 125.8. . 17.97. . Rowdy. . . . . . 11. . .10 . . .10
7. . 123.0. . 17.57. . ASU74. . . . . . 12. . .12 . . .11
6. . 118.4. . 19.73. . OregonStHomer. . 13. . .13 . . .13
6. . 117.4. . 19.57. . OregonG20. . . . 14. . .14 . . .14
6. . 114.8. . 19.13. . JCR. . . . . . . 15. . .15 . . .15
5. . 108.0. . 21.60. . UOsportsguy. . . 16. . .16 . . .16
5. . 104.0. . 20.80. . YellowlabOSU . . 17. . .17 . . .17
2. . 38.0 . . 19.00. . BeaverBeliever20. 18. . .18 . . .19
1. . 26.0 . . 26.00. . BTExpress . . . . 19. . .
1. . 24.0 . . 24.00. . CaughtBySparky. . 20. . .20 . . .18
1. . 19.0 . . 19.00. . TealDevil . . . . 21. . .21 . . .20
1. . 18.0 . . 18.00. . Go Ducks. . . . . 22. . .21 . . .21
1. . 15.6 . . 15.60. . ConnorOSU . . . . 23. . .22 . . .22

may not have won.. but made up some serious ground. FB watch out!

Ah hell. Watch out Beaver fans!!!!! RD is looking to make a move on some BEAVER!!!! I just knew he'd eventually see the light at the end of the beaver and come running. And as an aside, I was lucky enough, not only to be a Florida Beaver this week, but to be right above a Southern Beaver. Now how is that for good fortune. I suppose, in two weeks when the uglies play an OOC weekend, the percentages will acurately show who is actually in the #1 spot in the PAC12.

This is so DAM exciting!

edited by BeaverBob on 4/29/2013
+1 permalink
4/29/2013 8:36:36 AM

ASU74
ASU74
borgguy wrote:
As I said: math isnt my strong suit, if two of ya have him with 26 then he probably has 26 then...

just went back and double checked my math, I was wrong it's 26, as I said, long day yesterday
edited by borgguy on 4/29/2013

We know. The last time you made a mistake....you were wrong.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
+1 permalink
4/25/2013 12:09:25 AM

beaverstate69
beaverstate69
Stan 2-1
OSU 3-0
UCLA 2-1
ASU 2-1
UW 2-1
Ariz 3-0

DM - thanks for putting this together every week. It's been fun and makes it more interesting to follow all of the PAC 12 series.
+1 permalink
| you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 predictions: 2013 Week 11