Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » How can USC host over Arkansas at this point?

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 3 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/25/2013 9:19:27 PM

SC Tiger
SC Tiger
Arkansas swept USC in Columbia
Arkansas had the better SEC record facing a tougher SEC schedule
Arkansas went further in the SEC tournament
Arkansas had 6 more Top 50 wins

USC has a better RPI, likely due to their higher strength of schedule. But when you look further Arkansas actually played MORE games vs. the Top 50 than USC did and won more than half of them while USC was 3 games under .500 vs. Top 50.

How is this even a debate?
0 permalink
5/25/2013 9:22:16 PM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
All these so called baseball guys love RPI more than anything and base so much on them. They don't think about Arkansas sweeping SC or things like that. I know Kendall says SC will host over Arkansas, but I think when we see the host sites tomorrow we will see a different story.

--
91' 93' 96' 97' 00' 09' NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
0 permalink
5/25/2013 10:40:59 PM

borgguy
borgguy
SC also has the benefit of being one year removed from back to back national titles and the fact that they have been in the title game the last three years, these things sometimes play into the committees decision.

now I will admit I have not payed close attention to the SEC being a PAC12 guy but from what little I have seen of Arkansas play and from what you listed, they should totally get a host over SC

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
5/25/2013 11:02:39 PM

hogfan4life
hogfan4life
You would think, but I certainly have the gut feeling we get hosed...
0 permalink
5/25/2013 11:03:29 PM

hogfan4life
hogfan4life
USC was swept 3 times! Yes, 3 times in conference play this year. No way should ANY team be swept 3 times and host IMO.
0 permalink
5/25/2013 11:52:15 PM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
Arkansas finished 18-11, 3rd in the SEC. Any other year that is a regional host. I can't believe it's even a question if they host or not. RPI should not always be the main factor.
+1 permalink
5/26/2013 8:39:23 AM

hogfan4life
hogfan4life
Well, I just heard that USC has their former AD on the selection committee so I guess it's pretty clear why they are going to get to host over Arkansas. So a couple years ago RPI didn't matter when hogs were 13th and UCLA was 34th. Now the rolls are reversed and the RPI certainly does matter.

Kendall and Aaron Fitt are now saying that they are hearing that the committee isn't looking at the conference tourneys hardly at all. Again, why would a former USC AD want the committee to look at his teams 0-2 record? Why the F do we even waste our time with the conference tourneys then if they don't even count them? Hey maybe another weekend series and USc could have gotten swept for a 4th time.
0 permalink
5/26/2013 9:24:51 AM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
hogfan4life wrote:
Well, I just heard that USC has their former AD on the selection committee so I guess it's pretty clear why they are going to get to host over Arkansas. So a couple years ago RPI didn't matter when hogs were 13th and UCLA was 34th. Now the rolls are reversed and the RPI certainly does matter.

Kendall and Aaron Fitt are now saying that they are hearing that the committee isn't looking at the conference tourneys hardly at all. Again, why would a former USC AD want the committee to look at his teams 0-2 record? Why the F do we even waste our time with the conference tourneys then if they don't even count them? Hey maybe another weekend series and USc could have gotten swept for a 4th time.

Well if the don't look at the Tournaments then look at the regular season. I think the proof is in the pudding there. Hogfan I'll be honest, it could be LSU's fault that may be a factor. Even though SC was swept 3 times, they did come to Baton Rouge and win that series, so maybe that would be a factor. Im not sure but if it was up to me to get the final SEC team, it would be Arkansas and not SC.

--
0 permalink
5/26/2013 9:43:51 AM

hogfan4life
hogfan4life
I've had to relog in 3 times this morning already. Sick of it. It's nobody's fault about the host, just wish the selection committee would use the same standard every year not just change them to get who they want to host.
+1 permalink
5/26/2013 10:42:33 AM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
Since college baseball is becoming bigger every year (especially with ESPN televising every regional for the first time) they have to appeal to the average fan so they can draw ratings. Eventually it will be big business like football.

--
0 permalink
5/26/2013 12:06:44 PM

borgguy
borgguy
at least one team gets hosed every year, this year i think it will be the Hogs, but that will at least make yall a VERY dangerous #2 seed and I would hate to see you in our regional. honestly out of all the #2 seeds (again assuming the comittee gives you the finger) I would say that Arkansas would be the most likely to advance out of whatever regional they are in, and would still be a tough team to take 2 out of 3 from, would not be surprised to see yall in Omaha.

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
5/26/2013 12:25:42 PM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
The only knock on Arkansas is that as good as they are pitching, they are that bad hitting. I don't see Arkansas making it to Omaha but man they are gonna be dangerous in Regionals and Super Regionals whether they host or not. I think any time Stanek is on the mound they can almost chalk up the win, but other than that if they come across a great hitting team it is going to be difficult for them to come out of a Super on the road. They will make things interesting and like I said I don't think they will get to Omaha, but if they do make it, it would not shock me one bit.

--
0 permalink
5/26/2013 5:33:24 PM

hogfan4life
hogfan4life
Borg 2 years ago we were crapped on in favor of UCLA. We were said to be the best 2 seed in the tourney, our reward? Sent to Tempe to play a national seed in ASU. The committee has just made some extremely strange decisions regarding Arkansas over the years. I'm not one for conspiracies don't take it that way, I would just like to see some form of consistency.
0 permalink
5/26/2013 5:35:25 PM

hogfan4life
hogfan4life
LSU_Blake wrote:
The only knock on Arkansas is that as good as they are pitching, they are that bad hitting. I don't see Arkansas making it to Omaha but man they are gonna be dangerous in Regionals and Super Regionals whether they host or not. I think any time Stanek is on the mound they can almost chalk up the win, but other than that if they come across a great hitting team it is going to be difficult for them to come out of a Super on the road. They will make things interesting and like I said I don't think they will get to Omaha, but if they do make it, it would not shock me one bit.

Nobody have us a snowballs chance against Baylor last year either because of our poor hitting. We may or may not even get out of the region but I'm ready for this team to be shipped off with a chip on their shoulder. Sure feel sorry for that #1 seed!
0 permalink
5/26/2013 6:32:47 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Love to see them goto Eugene
0 permalink
5/26/2013 7:04:11 PM

hogfan4life
hogfan4life
One of the last projections I saw had the regional we were in (KState) matched with the Beavs. If we could get out of Manhatten that would be a fun Super!
0 permalink
5/26/2013 7:35:57 PM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
We should know about the Top 8 and host sites in about 25 min.

--
0 permalink
5/26/2013 7:44:43 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Do they announce national seeds tonight? I thought it was only host sites that are announced...
0 permalink
5/26/2013 7:47:17 PM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
Might just be the host sites Ophi. I think it will be the national seeds and the rest of the field tomorrow.

--
0 permalink
5/26/2013 7:52:56 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Congrats on the SEC tourney title btw...
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » How can USC host over Arkansas at this point?