Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Beavers vs. Bulldawgs (part deux)

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
6/20/2013 10:38:05 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Down to four teams. The two 2-1 teams need to beat the 2-0 teams twice to advance.
  • Beavers take on Mississippi State again at noon.
  • UNC goes against UCLA at 5pm.
I think both 2-1 teams have a good chance of forcing a game five. UCLA's Grant Watson is not on the same level as Plutko and Vander Tuig, and UNC's bats are pretty lively. For Oregon State, I think Andrew Moore has his Omaha jitters out of the way and will try to pull a Matt Boyd.

(Don't know why my colors never display on this forum.)
edited by Dodger Matt on 6/20/2013
0 permalink
6/20/2013 11:44:20 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Matt, thanks for the French lesson. As Rodney Dangerfield said, watch out for number un, but don't step in number deux.
As I know your beautiful wife comes from that part of the world, I only have postive things to say about the French tonight.
0 permalink
6/21/2013 1:30:53 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
The Beaver website is saying Jace Fry might get the start tomorrow. Hmmm....

Probable Starters: OSU LHP Jace Fry (0-1, 8.31) or RHP Andrew Moore (14-1, 1.57) vs. MSU LHP Luis Pollorena (6-3, 4.32)

That would be quite interesting. I thought from the beginning of this year that his loss from the rotation would be a huge blow to Oregon State's chances to win it all. Well, the Beavers have made it to Omaha, mostly without his help (although he has 4.1 IP over 5 game appearances). Now, assuming he's in shape, he has a chance to make a mark in a big way. I say if he can go even 4 innings anywhere close to as good as he was last year, we should be in really good shape. And if he just runs out of gas (weather is supposed to be upper 80s from noon up into the low 90s for a high) in a close game, we might see Schultz or Child pitch long relief. It's hard to guess those changes until you know the game situation, but I think if he can win without using Moore, Wetzler, or Boyd at all tomorrow, Casey will hold them for Saturday.
0 permalink
6/21/2013 3:09:09 AM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Another article from Lindsay Snail, a so-called sports writer at the Fish Wrapper regarding Jace Fry.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2013/06/college_world_series_if_needed.html#incart_river

Dodger Matt wrote:

Probable Starters: OSU LHP Jace Fry (0-1, 8.31) or RHP Andrew Moore (14-1, 1.57) vs. MSU LHP Luis Pollorena (6-3, 4.32)

That would be quite interesting. I thought from the beginning of this year that his loss from the rotation would be a huge blow to Oregon State's chances to win it all. Well, the Beavers have made it to Omaha, mostly without his help (although he has 4.1 IP over 5 game appearances). Now, assuming he's in shape, he has a chance to make a mark in a big way. I say if he can go even 4 innings anywhere close to as good as he was last year, we should be in really good shape. And if he just runs out of gas (weather is supposed to be upper 80s from noon up into the low 90s for a high) in a close game, we might see Schultz or Child pitch long relief. It's hard to guess those changes until you know the game situation, but I think if he can win without using Moore, Wetzler, or Boyd at all tomorrow, Casey will hold them for Saturday.
0 permalink
6/21/2013 3:42:14 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I'd be ok with Fry as long as he's on a short leash and Moore is ready to come in from the pen...
0 permalink
6/21/2013 2:39:32 PM

OregonStHomer
OregonStHomer
It's so quiet on here... Listening to game, have gamecast, but a video feed would be great if someone has.
0 permalink
6/21/2013 3:38:35 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Ouch. Gonna be very hard to get back those four runs.
0 permalink
6/21/2013 4:27:49 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Beavers are down to their final three outs. Will need a little luck and some bats.
0 permalink
6/21/2013 4:43:26 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Great season for the Beavs! Too bad Nate Yeskie had to come rearing his ugly head again
0 permalink
6/21/2013 4:46:51 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Yes, a great season. While we will lose several seniors, we should have a great nucleus coming back.

OpihiMan wrote:
Great season for the Beavs! Too bad Nate Yeskie had to come rearing his ugly head again
0 permalink
6/21/2013 4:54:23 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Sorry Beavs.. Great year, msu is hot right now.. Oregonian pulled a loser today.. But I understand. Print journalism is rough. Anyway, you guys made the PAC proud. Conforto is a dangerous man.. He is only going work twice as hard. As a duck fan.. I am very very nervous. Time to band together and root for west coast baby blue. If they win tonight, the bats of msu are very dangerous. That lineup carries a sweet swing club. Really impressed, they did something not too many other teams could do.
0 permalink
6/21/2013 6:16:08 PM

BeaverQuist
BeaverQuist
Great season Beavs, Proud of all the boys.

Gonna miss our Seniors from this team as it was a pleasure watching them mature into baseball players and I hope to see each and every one of them succeed be it in baseball or whatever profession they head towards.

GO BEAVS!

#refusetolose
0 permalink
6/21/2013 6:30:45 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
They had Moore's number from game 1. Sure wish they would have started Jace. Ah well. Lose a few seniors. Probably a few will take the money to go pro (minors). I'd like to see Weztler, Child, Rodriguez and Schultz stick around for another year, but somehow, I don't think it's gonna happen. Weztler's gone, Child would be smart to stick around and get a bit better. I don't think he has the big league arm and not sure he will. Rodriguez has a numbered amount of years to play behind the plate as catching is so hard on the body. I'd hate to see him go, but you gotta make your mark when you can (see Quizz Rodgers, Steven Jackson, Jacoby Ellsbury). But he'd be a killer next year behind the plate for us. Fry, Moore, Englbrekt, Jackson, Painton and maybe Bauer gives lots of option on the mound next year. Conforto, Keyes, Peterson, Double D. That's a good core group in the field and on the bats. Yeah....look out next year. We'll be back

Good year. Ended 4 games too early, but hey, we made Omaha again. Better than staying home like a wounded bird. Been nice hangin and talkin with y'all. BB, thanks for taking my brother to the game. DM, your weekly picks are a definite highlight and borguy, your day to day analysis is great. RD, Opihi, BQ, our new LSU fans, Devils, Arizona and Stanford fans.....(and the oregon fans too)....it's been quite a year. The Bruins are still in the hunt and look good to take the 'heels...so here's to back-to-back Pac champions! Y'all take care now, ya hear?
edited by Florida Beaver on 6/21/2013
0 permalink
6/21/2013 9:14:45 PM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
If UCLA can hang on it will be an SEC/PAC-12 matchup for the national title, just the way it should be. Congrats beavs on a great season. I would say everybody's team on this forum had a successful year so that's always a positive. But in the end there can only be one, and its gonna be fun to see which conference brings home the title.

--
91' 93' 96' 97' 00' 09' NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
0 permalink
6/21/2013 10:49:18 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
FB, good analysis. If I were Schulz, Child, or Bryant, no way would I stick around. While there was so many positives about this year, the real failure was in not using any of these guys in the last 1/4 of the season and so they weren't prepared or had lost confidence when they were needed. I'm not sure if this was a Yeskie or a Casey decision, however, I think it is the single biggest cause for the Beavers not playing in the championship round.

Florida Beaver wrote:
They had Moore's number from game 1. Sure wish they would have started Jace. Ah well. Lose a few seniors. Probably a few will take the money to go pro (minors). I'd like to see Weztler, Child, Rodriguez and Schultz stick around for another year, but somehow, I don't think it's gonna happen. Weztler's gone, Child would be smart to stick around and get a bit better. I don't think he has the big league arm and not sure he will. Rodriguez has a numbered amount of years to play behind the plate as catching is so hard on the body. I'd hate to see him go, but you gotta make your mark when you can (see Quizz Rodgers, Steven Jackson, Jacoby Ellsbury). But he'd be a killer next year behind the plate for us. Fry, Moore, Englbrekt, Jackson, Painton and maybe Bauer gives lots of option on the mound next year. Conforto, Keyes, Peterson, Double D. That's a good core group in the field and on the bats. Yeah....look out next year. We'll be back

Good year. Ended 4 games too early, but hey, we made Omaha again. Better than staying home like a wounded bird. Been nice hangin and talkin with y'all. BB, thanks for taking my brother to the game. DM, your weekly picks are a definite highlight and borguy, your day to day analysis is great. RD, Opihi, BQ, our new LSU fans, Devils, Arizona and Stanford fans.....(and the oregon fans too)....it's been quite a year. The Bruins are still in the hunt and look good to take the 'heels...so here's to back-to-back Pac champions! Y'all take care now, ya hear?
edited by Florida Beaver on 6/21/2013

edited by BeaverBob on 6/21/2013
0 permalink
6/21/2013 10:53:13 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Speaking of the Fish Wrapper, they had major layoffs today. Sounds like a good chunk of their sports reporting team was let go including John Hunt who was at the CWS and immediately flew home. It's too bad they didn't get rid of all of the liberal, commie, so-called journalists that they employ.

BeaverBob wrote:
Another article from Lindsay Snail, a so-called sports writer at the Fish Wrapper regarding Jace Fry.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2013/06/college_world_series_if_needed.html#incart_river

Dodger Matt wrote:

edited by BeaverBob on 6/21/2013
+1 permalink
6/22/2013 12:01:56 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
BeaverBob wrote:
FB, good analysis. If I were Schulz, Child, or Bryant, no way would I stick around. While there was so many positives about this year, the real failure was in not using any of these guys in the last 1/4 of the season and so they weren't prepared or had lost confidence when they were needed. I'm not sure if this was a Yeskie or a Casey decision, however, I think it is the single biggest cause for the Beavers not playing in the championship round.

Not gonna get into the Yeskie thing, but I would respectfully disagree on Schultz and Child (Bryant is a senior and has no choice). Child was a starter as a sophomore and with an extra year under his belt would improve tremendously as a returning senior, not just in playing (starting) time but also in his draft prospects. Same for Schultz, who could reasonably make the same closer/reliever to starter transition Boyd made this (his senior) year. I would love to see them both return, and I think the likelihood is strong. The core of this team will be there for another year. Why wouldn't you want to return for an even better chance at a national championship?
0 permalink
6/22/2013 12:42:24 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Matt, I won't argue that it is in their best interest as well as the Beavers if they are used and don't just sit on the bench. I'm not sure what changed this year with Casey's philosophy, but he has always taken advantage of his bullpen. I'd say this year's pen might be the best he has ever had and one of the best in the nation.

Dodger Matt wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:

Not gonna get into the Yeskie thing, but I would respectfully disagree on Schultz and Child (Bryant is a senior and has no choice). Child was a starter as a sophomore and with an extra year under his belt would improve tremendously as a returning senior, not just in playing (starting) time but also in his draft prospects. Same for Schultz, who could reasonably make the same closer/reliever to starter transition Boyd made this (his senior) year. I would love to see them both return, and I think the likelihood is strong. The core of this team will be there for another year. Why wouldn't you want to return for an even better chance at a national championship?
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Beavers vs. Bulldawgs (part deux)