Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » College Baseball 2014....A Look Ahead

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
6/23/2013 2:49:41 PM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
Everybody that associates on the board has a team that has been eliminated by now. So lets go ahead and look at the 2014 College Baseball Season. Now not everybody knows much about each other's team as far as returning starters and other things, so this is a place to kinda describe your own team, and where you think they will be in the preseason and into the postseason. Of course, I'll start with LSU.

2013 Weekend Rotation
Friday- Aaron Nola- Returning
Saturday- Ryan Eades- Going Pro
Sunday- Cody Glen- Returning

2014 Projected Starting Rotation
Friday- Aaron Nola
Saturday- Cody Glen
Sunday- TBD

2013 Starting Lineup
DH-Sean McMullen- Returning
RF-Mark Laird- Returning
SS-Alex Bregman- Returning
1B-Mason Katz- Going Pro
LF-Raph Rhymes- Going Pro
3B-Christian Ibarra- Returning
C- Ty Ross- Going Pro
2B- Jacoby Jones-Going Pro
CF- Andrew Stevenson- Returning

2014 Projected Starting Lineup
LF- Jared Foster
RF- Mark Laird
DH- Sean McMullen
SS- Alex Bregman
3B- Christian Ibarra
1B- Tyler Moore
2B- TBD
C- Michael Barash/ Chris Chinea
CF- Andrew Stevenson

2014 LSU Baseball Schedule
Feb.14-16 UNO
Feb.21-23 Round Robin with LSU, Virginia Tech, Texas Southern, and Toledo
Feb.28-Mar.2- Yale
Mar.7-9 Purdue
Mar.14-16 @Vanderbilt
Mar.21-23 Georgia
Mar.28-30 @Florida
Apr.4-6 Mississippi State
Apr.11-13 Arkansas
Apr.18-20 @Ole Miss
Apr.25-27 Tennessee
May 2-4 @Texas A&M
May 9-11 Alabama
May 15-17 @Auburn

My Predictions for LSU Baseball 2014
While I think we will still be good, we will be nowhere near as good as this years team. We lose key hitters in Mason Katz, Jacoby Jones, and Raph Rhymes as well as Ty Ross behind the plate. The ggod thing is there were a lot of contributors last season because of our great depth, so a lot of the new starters are very seasoned guys. With guys like Bregman and others, we shouldn't take too big a drop in hitting. Nola returns as our ace, and Cody Glen will be back but the Sunday starter has yet to be determined, with maybe a bullpen guy or a newcomer getting that spot sometime during the season. As far as our bullpen, we lose about 5 or 6 guys, the biggest being our closer Chris Cotton. Once again some newcomers will have to step up for LSU to be as good as we were last year. The schedule I listed has 43 of our 56 games. LSU has not yet announced our midweek games but we haven't lost one in the last two years, and I expect this year maybe we will lose 2, which will put us at 11-2 there. As far as non-conference weekend games, I see us sweeping UNO, going 3-1 in the round robin, sweeping Yale, and winning 2 of 3 from Purdue, putting us at 22-4 so far. The SEC will be tough again. I usually use my logic of we lose the away series against good teams and win the home series against good teams, with the mediocre teams sprinkled in. I look for us to go 18-12 in the SEC, putting us at 40-16 overall on the year. As far as Preseaon Rankings, I expect LSU to be around #10 when they come out.

--
91' 93' 96' 97' 00' 09' NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
0 permalink
6/23/2013 4:07:56 PM

FV4Heels
FV4Heels
I think the Heels will definitely be in a rebuilding year in'14. We lose two weekend starters, 3B, 1B, LF, CF, and C from this years team. I do think we found a weekend replacement in Thorton. The '13 recruiting class was really stout. They will get there chance now. Being realistic we should be happy with a run at regionals next year.
0 permalink
6/23/2013 4:36:21 PM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
Skye Bolt is a good guy to build around. He will have to become the next Colin Moran now. Moran will be a tough one to replace. Dude is a stud and I can't wait to see him in the pros.

--
0 permalink
6/23/2013 5:46:56 PM

borgguy
borgguy
The beavers fortunes depend heavily on who decides to stay in school or who decides to take the $ and run.

I know we will have Conforto, Davis, Keyes, Fry, and Moore back. the big question is whether Wetzler Rodriguez and Peterson will be back as well.

along with a talented recruiting class, I still think that the beavs would have to be an early favorite to win the pac12 again next year, as well as make a trip to Omaha.

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
6/26/2013 1:51:09 AM

ASU74
ASU74
If ASU gets some RELIABLE pitching & get to the bottom of the stat board in E's we will be a formatable force to be reckoned with.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
6/26/2013 10:46:38 PM

KennyWheatonFTW
KennyWheatonFTW
Oregons pitching staff will be top notch next year

2013 Starting Rotation
Tommy Thorpe-Returning
Cole Irvin-Returning
Jake Reed-Returning

Also just today #35 overall pick Matt Krook announced his going to be coming to Oregon instead of signing. 6'4 Lefty who throws low 90's. Also could bring Sherfy, who hasn't signed yet and might not.
0 permalink
6/27/2013 8:24:05 AM

weg313
weg313
I fully expect Rice to be back in the Top 10, and competing for a national seed. They lose Kubitza and Simms from the weekend rotation, but every other pitcher returns, including all-american candidates Jordan Stephens (who was lights out the second half of this season, through the post-season) and Zech Lemond (who will llkely move from closer to weekend rotation), all-Freshman reliever Blake Fox, as well as 5th year returnee Chase McDowell (who has been a weekend starter between injuries) and highly regarding Fr Kevin McCanna (who struggled with injuries this year).

Offensively, the Owls should be vastly improved with another year under the belts of several players seeing their first D-1 action in 2014. Rice loses 2B Stringer, RF Ratterree (who struggled his final two seasons) and C Parrott, but Fr Kopycinski starred in the post-season filling in for injured Parrott, plus we're bringing in the #1 ranked JUCO catcher. Four 300+ hitters return (DH/LF Aquino, OF Cook, 3B Hoelscher, SS Staniback), along with budding superstar in Fr CF Leon Byrd (who hit over .400 the final 5 weeks of the season) and So 1B Skyler Ewing. And we have several very talented Freshman who saw minimal action this year due to either injury or upperclass incumbants (Hunter Kopycinski, Beau Rathjen, Connor Teykl, John Williamson), who should replace the 3 departing position players.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
6/27/2013 8:26:09 AM

weg313
weg313
KennyWheatonFTW wrote:

2013 Starting Rotation
Tommy Thorpe-Returning
Cole Irvin-Returning
Jake Reed-Returning

Also just today #35 overall pick Matt Krook announced his going to be coming to Oregon instead of signing. 6'4 Lefty who throws low 90's. Also could bring Sherfy, who hasn't signed yet and might not.

Oregon's pitching staff could be the best in the nation (especially if Sherfy returns)-- though a bit too southpaw laden, but where exactly are you going to get offense from? Your only offensive player that struck any fear whatsoever in opposing teams (Healy) is gone.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
6/28/2013 7:47:24 PM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
weg313 wrote:
KennyWheatonFTW wrote:

2013 Starting Rotation
Tommy Thorpe-Returning
Cole Irvin-Returning
Jake Reed-Returning

Oregon's pitching staff could be the best in the nation (especially if Sherfy returns)-- though a bit too southpaw laden, but where exactly are you going to get offense from? Your only offensive player that struck any fear whatsoever in opposing teams (Healy) is gone.

Obviously UCLA proved you don't need a lot of offense to win it all. Pitching is key in this new era, and that's what Oregon has plenty of. If they can get one of these new recruits along with a couple of vets to get hot and hit consistently, look for Oregon to be right in the mix at the end of the year.

--
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » College Baseball 2014....A Look Ahead