Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Changing The Balls Used in College Baseball

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
7/13/2013 9:58:51 AM

weg313
weg313
Rice's coach and college HOF member, Wayne Graham continues to lead the charge in the call for greater balance in the college game. In an open letter to the NCAA and all the national college baseball pundits, he argues his case for using the tighter, lower seam MLB balls to restore the hitting - pitching balance to the college game...

http://www.collegebaseballtoday.com/2013/07/13/wayne-grahams-letter-on-the-state-of-college-baseball/

In addition, he's initiated a research project with the Rice School of Material Science to evaluate the cost and performance implications of converting to the MLB baseballs.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
7/13/2013 12:44:50 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Interesting circulation on Graham's letter:
For what it’s worth, a PDF copy of this letter was sent to myself, Kyle Peterson, Aaron Fitt, Kendall Rogers, Paul Mainieri, Jack Leggett, Skip Bertman, Pat Casey, Dennis Poppe of the NCAA and two others I didn’t recognize, including someone from the Houston Chronicle and somebody from Florida State.

College baseball media (Sorenson, Peterson, Fitt, Rogers), LSU coaches (Maineri, Bertman), Clemson coach (Leggett), Oregon State coach (Casey), the NCAA guy responsible for all issues related to the sports of football and baseball (Poppe), and two other guys. So the media guys will get the buzz going. But what makes those four coaches so important on this matter? Have they voiced similar concern? Or opposition?

I hadn't heard any complaints about the "imbalance" until the CWS. Fixing the balls because of one stadium seems like the wrong approach to me.
0 permalink
7/13/2013 5:33:53 PM

weg313
weg313
Dodger Matt wrote:
Interesting circulation on Graham's letter:
For what it’s worth, a PDF copy of this letter was sent to myself, Kyle Peterson, Aaron Fitt, Kendall Rogers, Paul Mainieri, Jack Leggett, Skip Bertman, Pat Casey, Dennis Poppe of the NCAA and two others I didn’t recognize, including someone from the Houston Chronicle and somebody from Florida State.

College baseball media (Sorenson, Peterson, Fitt, Rogers), LSU coaches (Maineri, Bertman), Clemson coach (Leggett), Oregon State coach (Casey), the NCAA guy responsible for all issues related to the sports of football and baseball (Poppe), and two other guys. So the media guys will get the buzz going. But what makes those four coaches so important on this matter? Have they voiced similar concern? Or opposition?

I hadn't heard any complaints about the "imbalance" until the CWS. Fixing the balls because of one stadium seems like the wrong approach to me.

HRs down 50% since the new bats were introduced 2 years ago; runs scored down well over 1 run per game; batting AVGs down signficantly...and the average number of strikeouts have risen considerably.

--
0 permalink
7/13/2013 9:01:22 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Yes, a decrease in all of the above, as was expected and intended. How is that an imbalance?

If I were to tell you two years ago that HRs were 200% what they should be, runs scored was more than 1 higher than "normal", and the number of strikeouts was low, then the new bats would be a total freakin' success.
0 permalink
7/14/2013 8:40:03 AM

weg313
weg313
Dodger Matt wrote:
Yes, a decrease in all of the above, as was expected and intended. How is that an imbalance?

If I were to tell you two years ago that HRs were 200% what they should be, runs scored was more than 1 higher than "normal", and the number of strikeouts was low, then the new bats would be a total freakin' success.

Absolutely not true. The necessary change in the bats occurred 10 years ago when they got rid of guarilla ball. The change to the BBCOR bats went too far, and created the inbalance. As a former pitcher, I love the low-scoring game. However, when balls are hit on the screws and fail to find the gap or the fience, something is wrong....and that is precisely what has happened the past two years with the new bats. I have no problem with the small ball game, but the game is out of balance when teams are having their 3, 4 and 5 hitters sac bunting early in the game...and having their best hitters try to squeeze bunt runs across with a runner on 3B and less than two outs...and this is happening with increasing frequency. This is NOT how the game was meant to be played. Also and finally, the higher seamed, looser stitched balls are allowing average pitchers to put up quality stats.

--
0 permalink
7/14/2013 12:07:06 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
C'mon, Walt. I gave you a second chance to provide numbers, and all you gave were anecdotes.
0 permalink
7/14/2013 2:30:27 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
I wonder if these are the average Boyd, Wetzler and Moore he might be referring to or some other pitchers that had awesome stats.
0 permalink
7/19/2013 10:02:28 AM

weg313
weg313
Here's the online petition that has been started. Please sign if you agree with Coach Graham...

http://www.change.org/petitions/ncaa-baseball-introducing-dead-bats-and-dead-baseballs-in-recent-years-go-back-to-live-bats-and-live-balls?utm_campaign=share_button_action_box&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

--
0 permalink
7/20/2013 4:52:39 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
"In summary, the exciting part of baseball was and will always be the home run or the big hit. Pitching and defense wins games, but hitting has always been the best part."

Nope. Sorry, I don't agree with that at all. How many folks would rather watch a home run derby than a baseball game? Come on, home run derby: No pitching, no defense, just a bunch of guys swinging for the fences. "That's the best part!" If you agree with that and watch baseball highlights, a ball sailing over the fence while a center fielder looks up at it is more exciting than said outfielder leaping up and catching the ball as he crashes against the fence. Or a third baseman snagging a fair ball after it corss the baseline far into foul territory and firing it across the diamond to nail a runner at first. Or a left fielder cathcing a fly ball for a second out and throwing the ball on one hop to the catcher who tags out the runner trying to tag and take home to tie the game for a game-ending double-play that seals a one-run victory.

Yes, a fat guy trotting around the bases is MUCH more exciting than a slender guy trying to stretch a double into a triple and getting caught at third.

I cannot get behind any effort to increase "offense" by dinking with the ball solely because some people don't approve of how big one park in America plays. And "reasons" such as given in your link only lessen my enthusiasm for such efforts.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Changing The Balls Used in College Baseball