Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Ben Wetzler Suspension: 20% of games

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
2/14/2014 12:45:22 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Very very bad potential news for the Beavs, Moore gets the start today instead.

Ben Wetzler Eligibility Issues
edited by OpihiMan on 2/21/2014
0 permalink
2/14/2014 12:46:40 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
More info here
0 permalink
2/14/2014 12:50:41 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
According to this article Esposito is also suspended indefinitely. Not what I was expecting to read first day of the season.

Here

This article has the most info about penalties and time frame.

10% would allow him to play against Indiana (Oregon State alleged self imposed penalty)
50% would allow him to play somewhere in the Arizona State Series (alleged predicted NCAA penalty)

Could be worse I guess, but still BS
edited by OpihiMan on 2/14/2014
0 permalink
2/14/2014 3:04:45 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Kinda crappy. I think it is Florida State has a player talk to an agent. 6 game suspension. Right at 10%. So I guess that is about right.. But yeah.....not good to hear on day 1.
edited by Florida Beaver on 2/14/2014
0 permalink
2/14/2014 9:55:56 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Cheers guys! You got the win.
0 permalink
2/14/2014 9:57:23 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
OpihiMan wrote:
According to this article Esposito is also suspended indefinitely. Not what I was expecting to read first day of the season.

Here

This article has the most info about penalties and time frame

10% would allow him to play against Indiana (Oregon State alleged self imposed penalty)
50% would allow him to play somewhere in the Arizona State Series (alleged predicted NCAA penalty)
Refresh my memory. Was Espo a backup catcher.. What is the impact on this year for the beavs.

Could be worse I guess, but still BS
edited by OpihiMan on 2/14/2014
0 permalink
2/14/2014 10:27:44 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Sorry for the repost.. Just got started now! Posted some beaver stuff, but Ophi already got it. Sorry.
0 permalink
2/14/2014 10:28:18 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Irvin loss is starting to sink in.. right now. OUch.
0 permalink
2/14/2014 11:55:39 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Esposito was challenging Ice for starting catcher.
0 permalink
2/19/2014 9:20:04 PM

KennyWheatonFTW
KennyWheatonFTW
Phillies are bitter

“@aaronfitt: Several sources have confirmed #OregonState LHP Ben Wetzler was turned in to #NCAA by #Phillies, who drafted him in 5th round last year.”

“@aaronfitt: #Phillies also attempted to turn in #Wazzu's Jason Monda, their 6th-rounder last year. He was cleared to play by #NCAA just this Thursday.”
0 permalink
2/19/2014 10:35:42 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
Speculation from beaverstever at pure-orange.net:
The Phillies may have just enabled a case that gets this rule gutted by their own stupidity, and the NCAA seriously punished financially for it. On the surface, to deny legal representation in a business transaction seems a pretty clear cut case if actually challenged. It's pretty easy to prove only the NCAA and MLB benefit from the rule, and in this case is being leveraged by one, enabling the other, to what amounts to coersion. This could get very interesting.

Interesting thought. At any rate, you can bet the Phillies scout will likely not be able to show his face in Corvallis or Pullman this year. According to Fitt, this is unheard of.... very bush-league.
0 permalink
2/21/2014 6:24:13 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
NCAA just handed Wetzler a 20% suspension, he is eligible to be back March 2nd, the last game against Wright State. He will miss the rest of the BIG10/Pac12 tourney and at least 3 of the 4 games in the series against Wright State.

In my opinion any penalty is unjust, 20% is harsh, but it could've been worse.

Release from Oregon State
edited by OpihiMan on 2/21/2014
+1 permalink
2/24/2014 9:25:51 PM

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
OpihiMan...I really hate this for Wetzler and your program. NCAA is being over zealous to some degree here imho. But I know of at least 3 players that have been in similar situations in the last couple of years and a couple got completely zapped, with a total loss of all of their eligibility. I hope that any future players protect themselves better in any negotiations, and completely understand the repercussions. I hope Wetzler rips the Phillies at every level of ball he plays at against them.

--
Baseball is like church....many attend but few understand.
0 permalink
2/25/2014 2:23:55 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Yeah, my frustration exists on different levels.

First, it's a stupid rule to begin with as you are asking kids to figure out if $500,000 and a small contract is worth forgoing Senior Year and a possible higher pick.

Second is the lack of consistency with policing the horrible rule the NCAA has...yeah I feel burned because it's our guy that got tattled on but there are many others doing this on a constant basis.

Thirdly the shadiness of the Phillies organization knows no limit. How would the Phillies feel if fans stopped coming to games because they can't win a world series in a given year? Would they ignore a player on PED's as long as he's on their team? The whole sour grapes thing is childish and completely unnecessary in tee-ball let alone the MLB.

I hope Aaron Fitt is right and that organization gets blackballed on some level.

*End Rant*
+1 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Ben Wetzler Suspension: 20% of games