Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Who would take Kendall's job...

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/10/2011 6:56:23 AM

fsugeo
fsugeo
knowing that you would always be on the road and essentially would have to give up being a true fan of your current team?

I say no. I enjoy watching and following FSU to much to give it up.

Not that his job isn't great and he gets to see some tremendous stuff, but I want to be a fan.

What does everyone else think?
0 permalink
3/10/2011 7:26:05 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
fsugeo wrote:
knowing that you would always be on the road and essentially would have to give up being a true fan of your current team?

Not that his job isn't great and he gets to see some tremendous stuff, but I want to be a fan.

After a few years, I basically got rid of the fan mentality naturally ..... I still care about football/basketball to an extent, but obviously don't care from a baseball standpoint. Never thought (10 years ago that is) I'd be able to make the full transition.

Cool question, as great as my job is, it's not for everyone ..... that's for sure.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
3/10/2011 7:58:51 AM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
It's a really good question. I think though that you'd be surprised just how quickly you can get into "coverage" mode. For me, when I've covered things, it's a pretty easy transition even though I'm obviously a huge fan.

fsugeo wrote:

0 permalink
3/10/2011 8:13:11 AM

fsugeo
fsugeo
Heels2Omaha wrote:
It's a really good question. I think though that you'd be surprised just how quickly you can get into "coverage" mode. For me, when I've covered things, it's a pretty easy transition even though I'm obviously a huge fan.
I think I could cover FSU fairly objectively. My issue would be that I'd rather watch FSU-Hofstra then Texas-Stanford.
0 permalink
3/10/2011 8:25:36 AM

hubbyb014
hubbyb014
as much as i appreciate everything Kendall does, I could never do his job. too much of a gamecock fan to have to miss games!

but the job has gotta be real fun at times im sure
0 permalink
3/10/2011 10:11:37 AM

MClements
MClements
Once you take a position covering baseball you can be a fan of the sport but have to stay impartial.

I work for Inside Carolina - and certainly have a lot of experience covering North Carolina baseball but the separation of being a fan and alumnus is not that difficult if you love the game more. Things come up all the time that you might not want to discuss or broach - but it is your job to do so.

Any job that you love going to every day when you wake up is a blessing. I just wish it was my only job
0 permalink
3/10/2011 6:00:04 PM

Burtonbreck
Burtonbreck
I would take a job like that in a heartbeat, traveling, eat, sleep and drinking baseball would be awesome. I know its not all roses, takes hard work and the right mindset but wow, that would be a dream. Anyone hiring?
0 permalink
3/10/2011 6:08:26 PM

BeaverQuist
BeaverQuist
It would really be hard for me to get out of the "fan" mentality, but I think I could do it. Besides, I probably already lived through the glory days of Oregon State baseball, haha.
0 permalink
3/10/2011 6:27:59 PM

GTbaseball
GTbaseball
Did it for a while for Jacketsonline.com on rRivals and covered GT baseball and recruiting.

It was great but got old quick. Kendalls job on the other hand I could do. Covering multiple teams and traveling would be great.
0 permalink
3/15/2011 11:52:04 PM

Neutral Arbiter
Neutral Arbiter
I have the impartial part down, but I am not a big enough fan of the game to do his job. BTW, I umpire!

How many of you want my job?
0 permalink
3/16/2011 1:34:26 AM

CDinSV
CDinSV
Neutral Arbiter wrote:
I have the impartial part down, but I am not a big enough fan of the game to do his job. BTW, I umpire!

How many of you want my job?

I'll take it if your offering.
0 permalink
3/17/2011 12:02:18 AM

Neutral Arbiter
Neutral Arbiter
Sleeping Giant in Central Valley, does that refer to Bakersfield or Fresno?

As far as taking my job, you are welcome to join us!
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Who would take Kendall's job...