Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 picks: Week 7

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 3 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/29/2014 2:51:13 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day one
  • Washington 8, USC 2. Washington banged out four runs in the 3rd against USC’s Wyatt Strahan, and the Huskies maintained a share of first place in the conference. with their eighth straight win Strahan allowed 9 hits and 7 earned runs over 5.0 innings. Jared Fisher gave up 7 hits and 2 runs over 8.1 innings for the Huskies. Trevor Mitsui was 2 for 3 with 3 RBIs for the Dawgs.
    Washington leads series 1-0.
  • UCLA 7, Arizona State 3. Sophomore James Kaprielian picked up his fourth win of the season, tossing six innings and striking out a career-high 12. Combined with the bullpen, UCLA struck out 16 Devils. Brett Lilek took the loss for ASU, lasting just three innings and giving up four runs (three earned) on three hits. The Bruins have now won nine of their last ten games.
    UCLA leads series 1-0.
  • Game one: Stanford 6, Oregon 3. Tommy Thorpe (3-3), last week’s pitcher of the week, only lasted 3.2 innings as the Cardinal jumped on him for three runs in the first and another in the second. He gave up eight hits and five earned runs. Brett Hanewich (1-1) pitched 6.0 for the Cardinal.
  • Game two: Stanford 2, Oregon 1 (11). Stanford got on the board first in the 3rd without a hit, using a four-pitch walk, sac bunt, wild pitch, and sac fly. Oregon tied it in the 5th with three singles. Zach Hoffpauir led off the 11th with a double, was sacrificed to third, and scored on a sac fly to sweep the DH. Stanford’s Cal Quantrill worked seven innings and allowed one run in a no decision. Oregon outhit Stanford 8 hits to 3.
    Stanford leads series 2-0.
  • Oregon State 11, Arizona 2. Oregon State’s game was A+ in every category, and Ben Wetzler (5-0) cruised to his fifth win, pitching 7.1 innings, and allowing three hits, four walks, and no runs. The Beavers smacked 18 hits. Jeff Hendrix had four of those hits in five atbats with one triple and four runs. Dylan Davis was four for six with 5 RBIs. The game featured five triples by the teams combined. The Cats scored their only runs in the 9th facing reliever Trent Shelton. Arizona starter James Farris took the loss and dropped to 4-2 on the year. He allowed 13 hits and five runs in 7.1 innings. Of Wetzler’s amazing stats (taken from the OSU website, so sue me for plagiarism): He now has 29 career victories, which makes him the nation’s active leader and which is one shy of tying Ken Noble for most wins at Oregon State. He has a 0.47 earned run average in 38 innings this season. Opponents have just 12 hits off him and he has walked 10, giving him a WHIP of 0.66. That means two base runners every three innings. His all-time winning percentage is .829 (35-6), which is fourth at Oregon State, and he moved into eighth a-time with 242 strikeouts.
    OSU leads series 1-0.
  • Cal 4, Utah 2. Utah remains the only winless team in conference, although they put up a fight. Down 2-0 entering the 8th, Utah’s Max Schuman hit a single to left field to score Cody Scaggari and Branden Anderson to tie the game. Anderson had knocked the ball out of sophomore catcher Mitchell Kranson’s glove to score the tying run, but Hildenberger was able to fetch the loose ball and throw Schuman out at second base. Kranson made up for the play at home by driving in two runs in the bottom of the 8th to win it.
    Cal leads series 1-0.
  • Wazzu 4, San Jose State 4 (t5). Suspended after 4 innings due to rain. (FYI: SJSU beat Wazzu yesterday 7-3. That game does not count in our predictions.)
    Series tied 0-0.
  • Tennessee 2, South Carolina 2 (t12). Suspended in the top of the 12th due to rain.
    Series tied 0-0.
0 permalink
3/29/2014 5:19:33 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Wow DM. Kinda excited about the Beavs' playing last night, eh? It's okay....so was I. You were able to watch, yes? If so, that is just friggin awesome. Love it.
0 permalink
3/29/2014 12:47:50 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Yes, thanks. And it is awesome.
0 permalink
3/29/2014 1:36:55 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
DM agree with almost everything you said...As for the Beavs I'd give them an A or A-...The bullpen still is an enigma to me.
0 permalink
3/29/2014 2:59:07 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Opihi,

Considering how much play time they get.....not too much of a wonder. But they need to figure it out before the end of May. No bullpen WILL kill you in the post-season.

And did anyone have a hard tie listening to that color commentator last night? Dude had a boner for Arizona's catcher.
0 permalink
3/30/2014 2:21:31 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day two
  • Washington 19, USC 4. Washington’s Whoopass can still had sumpin in it today. Brian Wolfe homered twice for UW and had four hits and eight RBIs to lead a Husky offensive onslaught as they scored in every inning, including 4 in the 3rd and 5 in the 5th, pounded out a season-high 25 hits, and scored a season-high 19 times in a blow-out win over USC. Washington’s ninth-consecutive win and 16th in 17 games, gives the Huskies sole possession of first place in the Pac-12 Conference standings after UCLA’s loss to Arizona State.
    Washington leads series 2-0.
  • Arizona State 8, UCLA 5. Sophomore starting left-hander Ryan Kellogg (3-2) allowed five runs on ten hits and struck out three in 5.1 innings to earn his second straight road win over a top-15 team. He has not issued a walk in the past 14.1 innings and has not walked a batter in 10 of his 27 career starts. The Devils batted around in the five-run fourth inning that included a pair of two-run doubles from sophomore third baseman Dalton DiNatale and Peevyhouse, and the Bruins scored four runs in the bottom of the fourth behind five hits, including a leadoff home run by left fielder Ty Moore. Trever Allen hit his team-leading third home run of the season to lead off the ninth inning and Serven added an RBI single following Peevyhouse’s third double of the game to give the Devils a three-run cushion, 8-5. UCLA starting left-hander Grant Watson (4-2) was chased with two outs in the top of the sixth and took the loss after he conceded six runs on eight hits and four walks in 5.2 innings.
    Series tied 1-1.
  • Arizona 11, Oregon State 2. Arizona’s Cody Hamlin (4-2) pitched into the ninth inning, being lifted after yielding back-to-back doubles to Conforto and Davis, and the Wildcats knocked Beaver pitching for 17 hits and 11 runs. Andrew Moore (2-2) lasted only 3.0 innings, surrendering 10 hits and 6 runs. Zack Reser quieted Arizona’s bats with 2.2 scoreless innings, but five additional relievers combined to give up five runs over 2.1 innings, including an embarrassing 4-run 8th that saw batters walked across the plate and scoring from third on wild pitches.
    Series tied 1-1.
  • Cal 5, Utah 4. Cal scored three in the bottom of the 3rd to even the game at 4 apiece, then scored the go-ahead in the bottom of the 8th on shortstop Derek Campbell’s two-out solo homer. Campbell was 3 of 4. Kyle Porter (4-1) pitched 8.2 innings for the win, getting lifted in the 9th after issuing a two-out walk. Utah loses another close game and remains winless in conference, now at 0-8.
    Cal leads series 2-0.
  • Game one: Wazzu 12, San Jose State 9. Resuming yesterday’s suspended game, the Cougars exploded for seven runs in the 8th, capped by Yale Rosen’s grand slam that broke an 8-8 tie.
  • Game two: Wazzu 4, San Jose State 2. The Cougars tied it at two in the 6th, then scored twice in the 8th to take the second of two games on the day. Yale Rosen was again the hero for the Cougs, going 3 for 4 with a homer and 2 RBIs. [Side note: Wazzu head coach Donnie Marbut has not been at any of the games in this series. Driving to Thursday’s game, he swerved across a lane and into oncoming traffic and suffered undisclosed injuries in a car accident. He has been recovering at home since then.]
    Wazzu leads series 2-0.
  • Game one: South Carolina 3, Tennessee 2 (14). Jordan Gore’s one-out solo homer in the bottom of the 14th lifted second ranked South Carolina to a 3-2 walk-off win over 20th ranked Tennessee in the resumption of game one of the series between the Gamecocks and Volunteers.
  • Game two: South Carolina 9, Tennessee 6. The Vols had 6 runs before the Cocks scored their first run, in the fourth, and Tennessee led 6-2 going into the 9th inning. That’s when the Gamecocks scored three, first with a two-run pinch homer that made the 6-5. Then, with bases loaded and two outs, Grayson Greiner launched a grand slam homer over the left field fence for SoCar’s second walkoff victory of the day.
    South Carolina leads series 2-0.
Fixed second SoCar-Tenn score.
edited by Dodger Matt on 3/30/2014
0 permalink
3/30/2014 2:53:07 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Thanks DM, your recaps are typically a bit more honest than most media departments...I think your 2nd USCe score is wrong though.
0 permalink
3/30/2014 11:56:07 AM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
DM, I second OM. Thanks for the excellent updates. Have you ever thought about starting a side bet or double down on the third game of the series? For example, what is the over/under for the number of times that Yeskie will yell at his pitching staff during the game?
+1 permalink
3/30/2014 9:23:40 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day three
  • Washington 8, USC 3 (14). With an 8-1 conference mark, Washington becomes the team to beat in the Pac, with a two-game lead over the three teams tied for second place. With USC (13-13, 3-6) celebrating the 40th anniversary of historic Rod Dedeaux Field (with a grand total of 806 attendees), Washington (20-5-1) ruined the party by sending 10 batters to the plate in the 14th inning and capitalizing on three USC errors to break open a tied game.
    Washington sweeps series 3-0.
  • Arizona State 6, UCLA 5 (10). ASU rallied from a 3-1 deficit in the seventh inning to take its first lead of the game, but the Bruins countered with a pair in the bottom half of the frame to move back ahead, 5-4. The Devils then scored the tying run with two outs in the top of the ninth. In the 10th inning, Jake Peeveyhouse hit a one-out double, was sacrificed to third, and then scored when sophomore RJ Ybarra delivered a pinch-hit RBI single with two outs. UCLA right-hander David Berg (3-1) took his first loss of the season after giving up two runs, including one earned, on four hits in four relief innings.
    Arizona State wins series 2-1.
  • Oregon 9, Stanford 2. The Ducks rallied for seven runs in the second inning en route to a 9-2 win. Stanford (10-11, 3-3 Pac-12) used seven relievers in the game, its most of the 2014 campaign. Chris Viall (1-2) was tagged for four runs on four hits in 1.1 innings and Logan James allowed four runs in the second inning without getting an out, as Oregon jumped to an 8-0 lead. The offense for the Ducks (19-8, 6-3 Pac-12) was shut down by the rest of the bullpen, minus a home run by Shaun Chace in the eighth, but the lead proved insurmountable for Stanford. By salvaging a win today, the Ducks were able to maintain a three-way tie for second place in the conference.
    Stanford wins series 2-1.
  • Oregon State 11, Arizona 0. "Eleven and she was gone." Each winning score this weekend was an eleven. Jace Fry had a 4-0 lead before ever toeing the rubber in Sunday’s series finale. When he eventually did, he dominated the Wildcats and had a no-hitter finally broken up in the 8th inning, on his 111th and final pitch of the day. Fry was vying to become the first Pac-12 Conference pitcher to throw two no-hitters. His first came three starts earlier, on March 8, against Northern Illinois. He earned his fifth win of the season, improving to 5-1, and lowered his earned run average from 2.08 to 1.81. The win also marked the 10th of his career. Dylan Davis hit the only homer of the series, a solo shot in the 8th. The Beavers tallied 14 hits, 3 of them by Conforto, who also had 2 RBIs. Kavin Keyes had 2 hits and 3 RBIs. After Fry’s only allowed hit, Scott Schultz came in for the final 6 outs and allowed three more hits. The series victory gave the Beavers four straight in Tucson dating back to 2009. OSU is 9-3 in its last 12 games on the road against the Wildcats. OSU missed an opportunity to even their all-time record against Arizona by dropping yesterday’s game. They are currently 30-32 against the Cats. [Side note: I was at the game, and half the crowd was wearing orange and/or black. They serve beer, but had nothing from Oregon, so I complained. There was an elderly couple in front of me wearing Duck gear, so I said to the guy, “Hey! What are you wearing a Duck hat over here for?” He looked at me like I was going to hurt him for a second, then he said, “Should I go sit over there?” smiling and pointing at the home bleachers. “Naw,” I said, “Just razzin’ ya.” I didn’t get to hear Eric Burns or whoever that Pac-12 network color commentator was mention Riley Moore’s “cabbage”, so I yelled up at the booth when Moore came to bat in the 8th; “Hey, Eric! Check out that cabbage!” I don’t know if anyone listening to the broadcast heard me. ]
    Oregon State wins series 2-1.
  • Cal 8, Utah 7. Sophomore right fielder Brian Celsi was 3-for-5 with three RBIs, freshman right-hander Lucas Erceg picked up his first collegiate win, and Cal has kept Utah out of the conference win column for a third week. Utah scored first and owned a 2-0 lead before the Golden Bears banged out 4 runs in the 3rd to take a 4-2 lead. But the Utes stormed back with 5 in the 5th to take a 87-4 lead. Cal evened the score with a run in the bottom of that frame and two more the next. Then the Bears scored the go-ahead in the 7th for the sweep.
    Cal sweeps series 3-0.
  • Wazzu 16, San Jose State 3. Washington State pounded out a season-high 20 hits and defeated San Jose State 16-3 for its third-straight game over visiting Spartans. SJSU had a 3-0 lead after the 2nd inning, but the Cougars dropped a couple of 4-run frames on the visitors and owned a commanding 10-3 lead after six. A Wazzu 6-run 8th inning was icing on the cake.
    Wazzu sweeps series 3-0 (minus Thursday’s loss, which doesn’t count...just sayin’).
  • South Carolina 8, Tennessee 0. Freshman right-hander Wil Crowe improved to 6-0 on the year with 7.1 scoreless innings of work and Second-ranked South Carolina pounded out 13 hits en route to its 11th shutout of the season in an 8-0 victory over 20th ranked Tennessee. The Gamecocks sweep the series and improve to 24-3 and 6-3 in league play while the loss drops the Volunteers to 19-7 and 3-6 in the SEC.
    South Carolina sweeps series 3-0.
0 permalink
3/30/2014 9:26:45 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
OpihiMan wrote:
Thanks DM, your recaps are typically a bit more honest than most media departments...I think your 2nd USCe score is wrong though.

Fixed.

Thanks. On some games, I do a fair amount of copy-n-paste. I try not to, but sometimes....
0 permalink
3/30/2014 9:32:31 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Week 7 scores
I think this is WildCard's first ever first place finish. And he wins by 4 points over the next in line. Impressive win for WC, who also moves from 11th to tied for 3rd in average so far.
  • 27.0 WildCard85
  • 23.0 Dodger Matt
  • 23.0 Florida Beaver
  • 22.0 OpihiMan
  • 22.0 OregonG20
  • 22.0 Rowdy
  • 19.0 BeaverBob
  • 18.0 RiverDuck
  • 17.0 borgguy
0 permalink
3/30/2014 9:39:36 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Score analysis
  • 5/9 got Stanford 2-1 over Oregon.
  • 4/9 picked ASU 2-1 over UCLA.
  • 3/9 picked SoCar to sweep Tennessee.
  • 2/9 picked a Wazzu sweep of SJSU.
  • 2/9 picked OSU 2-1 over Arizona.
  • Only 1/9 picked a Cal sweep (OpihiMan) and a Washington sweep (RiverDuck).
  • WildCard85 got four correct.
0 permalink
3/30/2014 9:46:45 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
DM,

Thanks for keeping scores and synopsis going for the weekend. And yeah, the color guy did have that hair affair with Moore. Wonder what that was all about?
0 permalink
3/30/2014 10:54:17 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Well, I knew I should not have picked Tennessee.. that hurt. Washington is going to be fighting OSU for the Pac title this year. Gold is turning into that for the Ducks right now. I would be surprised if Thorpe gets demoted, you can't go 3 innings as a friday night guy. That is unacceptable. We are looking like a team that might not win 40 this year. Although I am feeling pretty good saying 40, and not 20. lol
0 permalink
3/30/2014 10:55:51 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Whew.. picked WA to sweep saving my last place finish. That was close. I think more people are going to jump on the WA bandwagon after that showing.
+1 permalink
3/30/2014 10:58:09 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Dodger Matt wrote:
Day three
  • Washington 8, USC 3 (14). With an 8-1 conference mark, Washington becomes the team to beat in the Pac, with a two-game lead over the three teams tied for second place. With USC (13-13, 3-6) celebrating the 40th anniversary of historic Rod Dedeaux Field (with a grand total of 806 attendees), Washington (20-5-1) ruined the party by sending 10 batters to the plate in the 14th inning and capitalizing on three USC errors to break open a tied game.
    Washington sweeps series 3-0.
  • Arizona State 6, UCLA 5 (10). ASU rallied from a 3-1 deficit in the seventh inning to take its first lead of the game, but the Bruins countered with a pair in the bottom half of the frame to move back ahead, 5-4. The Devils then scored the tying run with two outs in the top of the ninth. In the 10th inning, Jake Peeveyhouse hit a one-out double, was sacrificed to third, and then scored when sophomore RJ Ybarra delivered a pinch-hit RBI single with two outs. UCLA right-hander David Berg (3-1) took his first loss of the season after giving up two runs, including one earned, on four hits in four relief innings.
    Arizona State wins series 2-1.
  • Oregon 9, Stanford 2. The Ducks rallied for seven runs in the second inning en route to a 9-2 win. Stanford (10-11, 3-3 Pac-12) used seven relievers in the game, its most of the 2014 campaign. Chris Viall (1-2) was tagged for four runs on four hits in 1.1 innings and Logan James allowed four runs in the second inning without getting an out, as Oregon jumped to an 8-0 lead. The offense for the Ducks (19-8, 6-3 Pac-12) was shut down by the rest of the bullpen, minus a home run by Shaun Chace in the eighth, but the lead proved insurmountable for Stanford. By salvaging a win today, the Ducks were able to maintain a three-way tie for second place in the conference.
    Stanford wins series 2-1.
  • Oregon State 11, Arizona 0. "Eleven and she was gone." Each winning score this weekend was an eleven. Jace Fry had a 4-0 lead before ever toeing the rubber in Sunday’s series finale. When he eventually did, he dominated the Wildcats and had a no-hitter finally broken up in the 8th inning, on his 111th and final pitch of the day. Fry was vying to become the first Pac-12 Conference pitcher to throw two no-hitters. His first came three starts earlier, on March 8, against Northern Illinois. He earned his fifth win of the season, improving to 5-1, and lowered his earned run average from 2.08 to 1.81. The win also marked the 10th of his career. Dylan Davis hit the only homer of the series, a solo shot in the 8th. The Beavers tallied 14 hits, 3 of them by Conforto, who also had 2 RBIs. Kavin Keyes had 2 hits and 3 RBIs. After Fry’s only allowed hit, Scott Schultz came in for the final 6 outs and allowed three more hits. The series victory gave the Beavers four straight in Tucson dating back to 2009. OSU is 9-3 in its last 12 games on the road against the Wildcats. OSU missed an opportunity to even their all-time record against Arizona by dropping yesterday’s game. They are currently 30-32 against the Cats. [Side note: I was at the game, and half the crowd was wearing orange and/or black. They serve beer, but had nothing from Oregon, so I complained. There was an elderly couple in front of me wearing Duck gear, so I said to the guy, “Hey! What are you wearing a Duck hat over here for?” He looked at me like I was going to hurt him for a second, then he said, “Should I go sit over there?” smiling and pointing at the home bleachers. “Naw,” I said, “Just razzin’ ya.” I didn’t get to hear Eric Burns or whoever that Pac-12 network color commentator was mention Riley Moore’s “cabbage”, so I yelled up at the booth when Moore came to bat in the 8th; “Hey, Eric! Check out that cabbage!” I don’t know if anyone listening to the broadcast heard me. ]
    Oregon State wins series 2-1.
  • Cal 8, Utah 7. Sophomore right fielder Brian Celsi was 3-for-5 with three RBIs, freshman right-hander Lucas Erceg picked up his first collegiate win, and Cal has kept Utah out of the conference win column for a third week. Utah scored first and owned a 2-0 lead before the Golden Bears banged out 4 runs in the 3rd to take a 4-2 lead. But the Utes stormed back with 5 in the 5th to take a 87-4 lead. Cal evened the score with a run in the bottom of that frame and two more the next. Then the Bears scored the go-ahead in the 7th for the sweep.
    Cal sweeps series 3-0.
  • Wazzu 16, San Jose State 3. Washington State pounded out a season-high 20 hits and defeated San Jose State 16-3 for its third-straight game over visiting Spartans. SJSU had a 3-0 lead after the 2nd inning, but the Cougars dropped a couple of 4-run frames on the visitors and owned a commanding 10-3 lead after six. A Wazzu 6-run 8th inning was icing on the cake.
    Wazzu sweeps series 3-0 (minus Thursday’s loss, which doesn’t count...just sayin’).
  • South Carolina 8, Tennessee 0. Freshman right-hander Wil Crowe improved to 6-0 on the year with 7.1 scoreless innings of work and Second-ranked South Carolina pounded out 13 hits en route to its 11th shutout of the season in an 8-0 victory over 20th ranked Tennessee. The Gamecocks sweep the series and improve to 24-3 and 6-3 in league play while the loss drops the Volunteers to 19-7 and 3-6 in the SEC.
    South Carolina sweeps series 3-0.
I know this is nitpicking, but I know you would appreciate it. Our catcher who has started hitting, his last name is Chase.
0 permalink
3/30/2014 11:01:40 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
And for the women duck team, they got a great sweep vs the huskies with a walk off homer. Now ranked 2 in the nation. We should start voting on the girls team as well, then combine the scores.
0 permalink
3/30/2014 11:37:53 PM

WildCard85
WildCard85
Thanks Dodger Matt...Feels good to win one for once
Next up for the underdog Cardinal is a visit to OSU next weekend.
GO CARD !
+1 permalink
3/31/2014 1:39:08 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
WildCard85 wrote:
Thanks Dodger Matt...Feels good to win one for once
Next up for the underdog Cardinal is a visit to OSU next weekend.
GO CARD !

Well, If Moore starts on Saturday, Y'all will have a good chance of getting one game.
+1 permalink
3/31/2014 3:36:30 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Wildcard you should come up, I'll be at at least 2 of the games!
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 picks: Week 7