Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » What was Saturday's big surprise? (3/12)

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/13/2011 12:35:04 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Posts: 7537
I don't think there's any question on this one .... 0-14 Houston Baptist beating Matt Purke and TCU.

Any other thoughts?

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
3/13/2011 12:53:13 AM

E-Dub
E-Dub
Posts: 36
Kendall wrote:
I don't think there's any question on this one .... 0-14 Houston Baptist beating Matt Purke and TCU.

Any other thoughts?


Yeah, wow. According to the game report there were multiple errors, but any word on why Purke walked three batters or why it took him 73 pitches to get through 3.2 innings?
0 permalink
3/13/2011 1:12:13 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Posts: 7537
E-Dub wrote:
Kendall wrote:
I don't think there's any question on this one .... 0-14 Houston Baptist beating Matt Purke and TCU.

Any other thoughts?


Yeah, wow. According to the game report there were multiple errors, but any word on why Purke walked three batters or why it took him 73 pitches to get through 3.2 innings?


Looks like he just had a bad outing. I had someone check up on his velocity at Texas Tech two weekends ago, and it sounded very normal and not hurt-like ... so I don't think it's injury related, unless that blister came back tonight. Those blisters can be a mess if you come back a little too quick.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
3/13/2011 6:43:17 AM

CWSOmahaGators
CWSOmahaGators
Posts: 12
I think a loss like that for Purke will be good for a kid like him, who turned down the $ last year and came to college. He dominated throughout the year and took a scrappy TCU team deep into the CWS and really did not face too much adversity. Part of the development for a pitcher like him is the mental game and learning to deal with struggles. I am sure Purke will respond well next weekend, but a lot of pitchers come through the collegiate ranks with electric and nasty stuff, but do not always pan out because they are soft and do not handle adversity.

Still it is definitely a surprise, especially against Houston Baptist
0 permalink
3/13/2011 7:24:50 AM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
Posts: 127
Yeah Purke losing his first game to Houston Baptist of all teams, is quite the shocker. But to another team, Brown beating Texas in Game 2 of Doubleheader both of which were 7 inning contests, Kendall....I remember hearing about the 7-inning bit in terms of not counting towards the RPI is that true?!??
0 permalink
3/13/2011 9:53:48 AM

E-Dub
E-Dub
Posts: 36
CWSOmahaGators wrote:
I think a loss like that for Purke will be good for a kid like him, who turned down the $ last year and came to college. He dominated throughout the year and took a scrappy TCU team deep into the CWS and really did not face too much adversity. Part of the development for a pitcher like him is the mental game and learning to deal with struggles. I am sure Purke will respond well next weekend, but a lot of pitchers come through the collegiate ranks with electric and nasty stuff, but do not always pan out because they are soft and do not handle adversity.

Still it is definitely a surprise, especially against Houston Baptist


I was thinking and posted literally the same thing in another forum. A little failure won't hurt at this stage, and it may benefit him. I also think he'll be fine as he seems to have very good makeup.

Kendall, thanks for the response. I was also wondering if the blister issue is lingering as I'd heard similar reports that his stuff has been fine and he certainly handled Texas Tech with aplomb (two baserunners in six innings) in that last start.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » What was Saturday's big surprise? (3/12)





Powered by AspNetForum 6.9.9.0 © 2006-2010 Jitbit Software