Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » CHAT TRANSCRIPT: My weekly chat wrap (3/14)

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/14/2011 2:32:39 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Here's my weekly chat wrap. We will be back at it next Monday at 2 p.m., to talk more college baseball.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=5356

If I didn't answer your question, feel free to post your question on the message board.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
3/15/2011 9:45:04 AM

weg313
weg313
K, I couldn't disagree more with you assessment of Rice this year. With Fuda and Rathjen injured and out of the lineup, and with Rendon still limitted only to DH duty due to his shoulder problem, it is our offense and defense that is holding us back. Over this past weekend, after Rathjen went down, we were playing as many as 5 true Freshman in the starting lineup, with Rendon and Ratterree the only guys who were in last year's everyday lineup. That's really a tough thing to overcome. Our Freshmen are talented, but they have to come up the learning curve and make the adjustments at the plate. Conversely, while the back of our bullpen has been woefully inconsistent, our pitching is the best it's been in 3 - 5 years. We finally have a multitude of power arms. Kubitza, Simms, Reckling, McDowell, Cingrani and Gonzales are all pitching very, very well (even if a couple of them have less than stellar ERAs)...and the recent performances of McDowell (complete game 4-hitter vs. UC-SB) and Cingrani might allow Coach Graham to move Simms into the closer role. Gonzales has been unblelievably reliable at middle relief (capable of giving us 3 - 4 strong innings 2 - 3 times per week). If we can get Wall and Duffey straightened out, this could be our best pitching staff since the 2003/04 Big 3 days.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
3/15/2011 10:01:08 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
weg313 wrote:
K, I couldn't disagree more with you assessment of Rice this year. With Fuda and Rathjen injured and out of the lineup, and with Rendon still limitted only to DH duty due to his shoulder problem, it is our offense and defense that is holding us back. Over this past weekend, after Rathjen went down, we were playing as many as 5 true Freshman in the starting lineup, with Rendon and Ratterree the only guys who were in last year's everyday lineup. That's really a tough thing to overcome. Our Freshmen are talented, but they have to come up the learning curve and make the adjustments at the plate. Conversely, while the back of our bullpen has been woefully inconsistent, our pitching is the best it's been in 3 - 5 years. We finally have a multitude of power arms. Kubitza, Simms, Reckling, McDowell, Cingrani and Gonzales are all pitching very, very well (even if a couple of them have less than stellar ERAs)...and the recent performances of McDowell (complete game 4-hitter vs. UC-SB) and Cingrani might allow Coach Graham to move Simms into the closer role. Gonzales has been unblelievably reliable at middle relief (capable of giving us 3 - 4 strong innings 2 - 3 times per week). If we can get Wall and Duffey straightened out, this could be our best pitching staff since the 2003/04 Big 3 days.

Walt,
I can just go on what I've seen this season, and that's inconsistency on the mound at times. On a side note, I don't think Rice can really lose Rathjen for the season at this point and take away another guy that can give Rendon help in the lineup ... but it sounds like that will be the case.

--
0 permalink
3/15/2011 10:14:35 AM

weg313
weg313
K, we have suffered without Fuda in the lineup (and LF) the past 3 weeks. Obviously, the loss of Rathjen would be HUGE. However, I do think our pitching will carry us. Our bloated ERA is largely the result of Coach Graham doing his usual early season mixing and matching, giving as many pitchers on our staff multiple opportunities to step up and earn a spot in the eventual mix. That will change once the conference season begins. I'll take Kubitza (clearly, the real deal), Simms, Reckling, McDowell, Cingrani and Gonzales over any other C-USA staff's Top 6 pitchers...and I have confidence that Coach Pierce and Graham will straighten out at least one amongst Wall, Duffey and Anagnostou. When you consider that both McNair and Simmons are proven situational lefties out of the pen, that's a pretty darn good staff...and loaded with power arms.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
3/18/2011 1:13:13 PM

Kendall, you have Rice, Tulane, ECU and UCF ranked as your top 4 in C-USA so far. Does that mean Southern Miss would be 5th or was that an oversite on your part? thanks.
0 permalink
3/18/2011 1:32:00 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Kendall, you have Rice, Tulane, ECU and UCF ranked as your top 4 in C-USA so far. Does that mean Southern Miss would be 5th or was that an oversite on your part? thanks.

Not at all. I was asked to give a top four, and that's how I'd rank them right now. but let's be honest here, I'd almost put USM in the exact same boat as ECU and UCF right now .... those three teams are virtually equal. I do believe, however, that Tulane has accomplished enough so far this season to gain a greater distinction at this point. I'm interested to see how the Eagles do in that Charleston tournament this weekend. Some good tests over there.

--
0 permalink
3/18/2011 2:04:33 PM

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Kendall, at this point in the season I would say Tulane has looked the best of any team in the conf. outside of their first weekend. I would put Rice 2nd based on their brutal schedule. I would probably put ECU and Southern Miss as a tie for 3rd with UCF just a bit behind them. UCF looks to have improved this year, but their SOS is not so great (I know it's early and that will change) and until they prove to be better than ECU and Southern Miss, I would have to put them slightly back in the pack.
0 permalink
3/18/2011 2:07:05 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
EaglehasLanded wrote:
Kendall, at this point in the season I would say Tulane has looked the best of any team in the conf. outside of their first weekend. I would put Rice 2nd based on their brutal schedule. I would probably put ECU and Southern Miss as a tie for 3rd with UCF just a bit behind them. UCF looks to have improved this year, but their SOS is not so great (I know it's early and that will change) and until they prove to be better than ECU and Southern Miss, I would have to put them slightly back in the pack.

Eagles, very very valid points, and at this point in the season, it's impossible to argue your point. The great thing is things will separate themselves over the next few weeks ..... USM will always be solid, so I don't think it has to worry about that. The big question this year is how many teams from Conference USA get in the postseason. You have five teams right now with solid potential. I think the league can only get four bids.

--
0 permalink
3/18/2011 2:43:16 PM

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Good points Kendall. I will be interested to see if C-USA's rpi will be able to hold down the 3-spot throughout the season or if we will drift back to our usual spot at #5.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » CHAT TRANSCRIPT: My weekly chat wrap (3/14)