Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Hey Kendall...College of Charleston Tournament

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/18/2011 9:45:55 AM

eagleboy415
eagleboy415
This weekend if the CoC tourny featuring CoC, UCONN, Rhode Island, and Southern Miss. Who do you think will come out of this the best?
0 permalink
3/18/2011 10:06:53 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
eagleboy415 wrote:
This weekend if the CoC tourny featuring CoC, UCONN, Rhode Island, and Southern Miss. Who do you think will come out of this the best?

Eagle,
That is going to be a great tournament that unfortunately is getting overshadowed this weekend by so many great three-games series going on..... I see College of Charleston coming out with the best record. I like UCONN and Southern Miss, but UCONN is just too inconsistent for me right now. I think the Cougars have a really solid weekend.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
3/18/2011 6:13:09 PM

eagleboy415
eagleboy415
Southern Miss beat CoC tonight 7-2. Do you feel that USM can make a strong statement this weekend if they swept the competition?
0 permalink
3/18/2011 8:36:21 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
eagleboy415 wrote:
Southern Miss beat CoC tonight 7-2. Do you feel that USM can make a strong statement this weekend if they swept the competition?

Definitely a very impressive start to the weekend for the Golden Eagles. USM ace pitcher Todd McInnis gave them a solid start and the offense got enough timely hitting to get a victory. With Connecticut struggling, USM all of a sudden is looking like the cream of the crop in this tournament ... but still two days left to play.

--
0 permalink
3/19/2011 12:16:14 PM

eagleboy415
eagleboy415
Let's say that USM sweeps this weekend(I know we still have to play the games). How close would USM be to being ranked?
0 permalink
3/19/2011 1:49:54 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
eagleboy415 wrote:
Let's say that USM sweeps this weekend(I know we still have to play the games). How close would USM be to being ranked?

Would have to see how everyone else does, but I'd say they'll definitely be in the 26-35 range.

--
0 permalink
3/19/2011 7:22:16 PM

eagleboy415
eagleboy415
Southern Miss wins 4-3 in 15 innings against Rhode Island. Glad to escape that one! Next up: UCONN
0 permalink
3/20/2011 11:12:35 AM

eagleboy415
eagleboy415
And Southern Miss gets the sweep early this morning. What's your opinion Kendall on where we'll be tomorrow in the rankings and if you see these as solid wins or as overrated teams wins?
+1 permalink
3/20/2011 12:25:57 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
eagleboy415 wrote:
And Southern Miss gets the sweep early this morning. What's your opinion Kendall on where we'll be tomorrow in the rankings and if you see these as solid wins or as overrated teams wins?

Really nice weekend for the Golden Eagles, but if you're a rankings person, you still should have Troy ahead of the Eagles in the pecking order based on what it has done, including a series win over the Eagles. Still, that doesn't diminish what was a fantastic weekend. A big step forward.

--
0 permalink
3/20/2011 1:33:51 PM

eagleboy415
eagleboy415
I agree. We've got 3 losses, 2 of which should not have been losses. Seems like either bats or pitching didn't show up. Since we're going hypothetical here, what if USM goes 4-1 2/3 from Tulane this weekend sweeping midweek. Where would they end up with that week or better?
0 permalink
3/20/2011 3:01:46 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
eagleboy415 wrote:
I agree. We've got 3 losses, 2 of which should not have been losses. Seems like either bats or pitching didn't show up. Since we're going hypothetical here, what if USM goes 4-1 2/3 from Tulane this weekend sweeping midweek. Where would they end up with that week or better?

then that, my friend, changes the dynamic quite a bit ... good question.

--
0 permalink
3/20/2011 3:48:55 PM

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Kendall wrote:
eagleboy415 wrote:

Really nice weekend for the Golden Eagles, but if you're a rankings person, you still should have Troy ahead of the Eagles in the pecking order based on what it has done, including a series win over the Eagles. Still, that doesn't diminish what was a fantastic weekend. A big step forward.

Kendall, based on that logic Wake Forest should be ranked ahead of North Carolina, and Toledo and Xavier should be ranked ahead of Louisville. Personally, I have no problem with Troy being ranked or being ranked ahead of Southern Miss. I do believe at some point teams need to be judged (and ranked) based on their performance this season, not their reputation or preseason hype. I do believe that at this point, Troy and Southern Miss should be ranked. Now, they may lose a majority of their games next week and they could drop out, but based on the results so far, they are just as good or better than College of Charleston or UConn and both of those teams are/have been ranked. I'm sure this argument could be made for plenty of teams (East Carolina and Central Florida come to mind). Anyway, that's just my opinion, nothing more nothing less.
0 permalink
3/20/2011 3:59:34 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
EaglehasLanded wrote:
Kendall wrote:
eagleboy415 wrote:

Kendall, based on that logic Wake Forest should be ranked ahead of North Carolina, and Toledo and Xavier should be ranked ahead of Louisville. Personally, I have no problem with Troy being ranked or being ranked ahead of Southern Miss. I do believe at some point teams need to be judged (and ranked) based on their performance this season, not their reputation or preseason hype. I do believe that at this point, Troy and Southern Miss should be ranked. Now, they may lose a majority of their games next week and they could drop out, but based on the results so far, they are just as good or better than College of Charleston or UConn and both of those teams are/have been ranked. I'm sure this argument could be made for plenty of teams (East Carolina and Central Florida come to mind). Anyway, that's just my opinion, nothing more nothing less.

Wake Forest doesn't have the overall wins to its credit that North Carolina, or the overall record. Wake Forest is 7-12, North Carolina is 18-3.... HUGE difference. By comparison, Troy is 16-4 and USM is 15-3 against identical competition for the most part, and Troy has the head to head.

--
0 permalink
3/21/2011 8:17:54 AM

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Kendall, that still doesn't explain why both Troy and Southern Miss shouldn't be ranked. What criteria do you use when making your rankings. I realize it is still a few weeks early to use the rpi, but at this point both of those teams are in the Top 15 in rpi, both are in the Top 12 in W-L record and both have SOS inside the Top 70. I'm not saying there aren't teams that may end the season better, but the rankings are a week to week snap shot of who is currently playing the best, not a prediction of how teams will finish the season or how much potential they have.
I really don't understand why C-USA teams get so little respect (yes I know Troy is in the Sunbelt) when C-USA is year in and year out one of the Top 5 baseball conferences, and currently is rated the 3rd best conference. Give any Big 12, Pac 10 or even Big East team(since the media is dead set on them being a contender in baseball) Southern Miss' or Troy's or East Carolina's record and schedule and they would be in the Top 25.
Again, I realize it is early in the season and ranking have nothing to do with regional selections and in the grand scheme of NCAA baseball mean very little, but everyone wants their team to be respected, and I just feel we should have earned some respect over the past decade.
Now, I have been informed by a fellow Southern Miss fan that you laugh us off because we are "too sensitive" about our team. If that is the case, then so be it, but I'd rather state my opinion (and logic) than just sit by and let things go.
edited by EaglehasLanded on 3/21/2011
0 permalink
3/21/2011 8:43:40 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
EaglehasLanded wrote:
Kendall, that still doesn't explain why both Troy and Southern Miss shouldn't be ranked. What criteria do you use when making your rankings. I realize it is still a few weeks early to use the rpi, but at this point both of those teams are in the Top 15 in rpi, both are in the Top 12 in W-L record and both have SOS inside the Top 70. I'm not saying there aren't teams that may end the season better, but the rankings are a week to week snap shot of who is currently playing the best, not a prediction of how teams will finish the season or how much potential they have.
I really don't understand why C-USA teams get so little respect (yes I know Troy is in the Sunbelt) when C-USA is year in and year out one of the Top 5 baseball conferences, and currently is rated the 3rd best conference. Give any Big 12, Pac 10 or even Big East team(since the media is dead set on them being a contender in baseball) Southern Miss' or Troy's or East Carolina's record and schedule and they would be in the Top 25.
Again, I realize it is early in the season and ranking have nothing to do with regional selections and in the grand scheme of NCAA baseball mean very little, but everyone wants their team to be respected, and I just feel we should have earned some respect over the past decade.
Now, I have been informed by a fellow Southern Miss fan that you laugh us off because we are "too sensitive" about our team. If that is the case, then so be it, but I'd rather state my opinion (and logic) than just sit by and let things go.
edited by EaglehasLanded on 3/21/2011

First of all, who is "laughing" at Southern Miss? I haven't posted anything on this board, on Twitter or in a story laughing at Southern Miss fans, so whoever told you that is just lying. You know better than to think I'd do that. Second of all, we've had a great deal of respect for Conference USA over the years. We had East Carolina ranked in the Top 15 last season, along with Rice, and Southern Miss has been ranked plenty of times. And on the current RPI, there are still several teams ranked high in the RPI that shouldn't be there ... so I'm still very weary of the RPI right now.

--
0 permalink
3/21/2011 9:05:33 AM

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
So, what do you use to determine your rankings? And I didn't base that solely on rpi, as I know it is not settle at this poinit in the season, but it does have "some" relevance. I just don't see how one could justify UConn, C of C, Louisville, UCLA, Cal, Coastal Carolina and/or Clemson being ranked over Troy, Southern Miss, or East Carolina. I also realize you don't have all those teams ranked, but all of them show up in one poll or another.
0 permalink
3/21/2011 12:52:56 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
EaglehasLanded wrote:
So, what do you use to determine your rankings? And I didn't base that solely on rpi, as I know it is not settle at this poinit in the season, but it does have "some" relevance. I just don't see how one could justify UConn, C of C, Louisville, UCLA, Cal, Coastal Carolina and/or Clemson being ranked over Troy, Southern Miss, or East Carolina. I also realize you don't have all those teams ranked, but all of them show up in one poll or another.

Agree with you completely that it would be bogus as heck to have College of Charleston, Louisville and Connecticut (now) ahead of Southern Miss in any pecking order. UCLA is off to a slow start, but there's no question at this point I'd take the Bruins in a three-game series if the two teams played right now, even with their struggles at the plate. Coastal Carolina also has zero business being ahead of USM, ECU or Troy in any pecking order. Personally, I view USM, ECU and Troy as virtual equals .... very tough to choose between the trio. As for how we divulge rankings, I follow games more than anyone could possibly imagine (i.e., I get to sleep around 3 a.m. each day on the weekend), so I have a strong pulse on games. I also watch a lot of games and see a lot of teams. It boils down to who you beat, how would Team A match up with TEam B if the two played, upside, talent, etc..... It's a pretty easy criteria.

--
0 permalink
3/21/2011 1:36:58 PM

Well, first off I think that way of ranking is flawed, in that it calls for speculation on your part. It also allows you to insert your subjective opinion as to which team would be better. Take Clemson, Baylor and UCLA. You say those 3 teams would beat Southern Miss/Troy/East Carolina in a 3 game series, but we don't know that because those teams aren't playing each other. Instead you insert what you "think" might happen which is influenced by UCLA's history and top prospect pitchers, Clemson's great baseball history and to a lesser degree Baylor's history.
yet, Clemson has lost single games to Eastern Michigan and Presbyterian, why wouldn't they be capable of losing 2/3 to one of the aforementioned teams.
Similarly, Baylor has lost 7 games and really haven't done anyting overly impressive thus far.
UCLA lost 2/3 to San Jose St. Again, I see no reason to believe they wouldn't lose to one of the above.
You think those teams would win because in your mind they are more talented, but up to this point they haven't shown it. Which goes back to my point that the rankings should be a snap shot up to this point in the season, not a prediction of how teams will finish.
0 permalink
3/21/2011 8:32:13 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Well, first off I think that way of ranking is flawed, in that it calls for speculation on your part. It also allows you to insert your subjective opinion as to which team would be better. Take Clemson, Baylor and UCLA. You say those 3 teams would beat Southern Miss/Troy/East Carolina in a 3 game series, but we don't know that because those teams aren't playing each other. Instead you insert what you "think" might happen which is influenced by UCLA's history and top prospect pitchers, Clemson's great baseball history and to a lesser degree Baylor's history.
yet, Clemson has lost single games to Eastern Michigan and Presbyterian, why wouldn't they be capable of losing 2/3 to one of the aforementioned teams.
Similarly, Baylor has lost 7 games and really haven't done anyting overly impressive thus far.
UCLA lost 2/3 to San Jose St. Again, I see no reason to believe they wouldn't lose to one of the above.
You think those teams would win because in your mind they are more talented, but up to this point they haven't shown it. Which goes back to my point that the rankings should be a snap shot up to this point in the season, not a prediction of how teams will finish.

Guest,
Great post, and I absolutely love it (and encourage) people challenging my line of thinking. If I can't back up your questions with legitimate answers then I should do more research. You bring up an interesting point about teams not playing up to par right now ... but one thing, you said that I said USM was not CAPABLE of winning a series over Clemson or UCLA. I didn't say that. I wouldn't say that. The Golden Eagles are more than capable, I just wouldn't take them in a series against the Tigers right now, that's all. There's no disrespect there at all, same as I wouldn't take UCF in a series vs. USM .... that doesn't mean I disrespect the Knights.

--
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Hey Kendall...College of Charleston Tournament