Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » UGA Baseball Program

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/23/2011 9:37:25 AM

GTbaseball
GTbaseball
I wanted to get some thoughts from you guys (And Kendall) on the overall state of the program in Athens.

I feel like its a big time sinking ship right now. That vaunted 2008 Recruiting class has been a complete failure and they've also had some bad luck. Chase Davidson, Peter Verdin, Zach Cone, Michael Palazone, Colby May, and others have not lived up to the hype at all. Cone and Palazone are nice looking players and Ive followed them closely, but outside of cone, they really havent made a huge impact.

Perno keeps oversigning and weeding players out to try new ones. This is the direct result of bad scouting and talent evaluation. After this year, the team wont be in any better shape IMO.. So is it time to run Perno off?

Their incoming recruiting class is STUDLY, but how many of them will actually show up on campus is the question. I think UGA has struck out here again. They only have 2 players that will be drafted this summer (Cone and Palazone) and they are both gone. After that they have one senior (who knows if he's on scholly). So this tells me they have 3 players leaving and 19, yes 19 players commited to play there. Good lord.

Either the whole team is transfering or 90% of the recruiting class isnt coming to UGA.

GT was on another level last night vs UGA. Absolutely crushed them in every aspect of the game. We pitched a Freshman starter, and pitched 3 other freshmen in relief. UGA had all So-Sr pitchers out there getting shelled.

I also saw the stat where GT was the youngest team in D1 currently with 18 players on the roster that are freshmen, all of them have played, and have 6 freshmen starters.

Thoughts?
0 permalink
3/23/2011 12:11:11 PM

shoelessT
shoelessT
All good points...but it kinda sounds like a rival fan posted this...

But again, I agree with pretty much your analysis. Last year I saw UGa play in Tallahassee and was shocked at how bad they were in every aspect of the game.
0 permalink
3/23/2011 12:18:32 PM

GTbaseball
GTbaseball
I actually got my bachelors from UGA. So Ive been around that program for quite some time now. I tried to be as open minded as possible when talking about it but theres no way around it.. UGA and Perno should NEVER be in this situation.
0 permalink
3/23/2011 2:58:03 PM

eagleboy415
eagleboy415
So you think that because Georgia is signing 19 Freshman, most won't make it to campus. Then you say that GT signed 18 last year? Hmm....
0 permalink
3/23/2011 3:19:48 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
GTbaseball wrote:
I wanted to get some thoughts from you guys (And Kendall) on the overall state of the program in Athens.

I feel like its a big time sinking ship right now. That vaunted 2008 Recruiting class has been a complete failure and they've also had some bad luck. Chase Davidson, Peter Verdin, Zach Cone, Michael Palazone, Colby May, and others have not lived up to the hype at all. Cone and Palazone are nice looking players and Ive followed them closely, but outside of cone, they really havent made a huge impact.

Perno keeps oversigning and weeding players out to try new ones. This is the direct result of bad scouting and talent evaluation. After this year, the team wont be in any better shape IMO.. So is it time to run Perno off?

Their incoming recruiting class is STUDLY, but how many of them will actually show up on campus is the question. I think UGA has struck out here again. They only have 2 players that will be drafted this summer (Cone and Palazone) and they are both gone. After that they have one senior (who knows if he's on scholly). So this tells me they have 3 players leaving and 19, yes 19 players commited to play there. Good lord.

Either the whole team is transfering or 90% of the recruiting class isnt coming to UGA.

GT was on another level last night vs UGA. Absolutely crushed them in every aspect of the game. We pitched a Freshman starter, and pitched 3 other freshmen in relief. UGA had all So-Sr pitchers out there getting shelled.

I also saw the stat where GT was the youngest team in D1 currently with 18 players on the roster that are freshmen, all of them have played, and have 6 freshmen starters.

Thoughts?

GT,
First off, on Georgia Tech, it is doing a great job this season and basically is in the midst of a perfect storm in its favor. The Jackets are playing exceptional baseball in all facets of the game. They're clearly better than UGA right now.

I'm not one to think the Bulldogs are done for the season. They have a decent chance to pull an upset at home against LSU this weekend, and there's still a lot of baseball to be played. Still, you bring up a great point. There's no question the current crew of veterans have failed to live up to expectations, but that happens. Just look at arguably the most talented group of guys GT has had in years (last year's juniors). They couldn't get out of an NCAA Regional.

Georgia is a tough animal because just when you think it won't do something, it does it ..... I'm interested to see how the rest of the season plays out.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
3/23/2011 6:59:20 PM

GTbaseball
GTbaseball
eagleboy415 wrote:
So you think that because Georgia is signing 19 Freshman, most won't make it to campus. Then you say that GT signed 18 last year? Hmm....

There is a big difference. GT had 10 players drafted and went MLB. There were also 5-6 other seniors that graduated and were not drafted. Do the numbers and check your math next time.

Im just asking to start a good conversation. Thats all..
0 permalink
3/23/2011 7:47:27 PM

shoelessT
shoelessT
Like I said, I definitely agree with many of your points regarding UGa, however GTech has not done anything postseason wise in a while to make me think they are that much on the rise. Like Kendall said, last years lineup was unbelievably stacked, as well as the years before, and GTech just did not make it that far. I seem to think GTech is always going to make a push in Omaha but it never actually happens. I do like that centerfielder you have. Stud.
0 permalink
3/23/2011 9:32:56 PM

I'm with Kendall on this one. It's still early to write off UGA at this point especially with baseball being such a streaky game. Dave Perno would have a D1 job tomorrow if he got canned tonight in my opinion, but their program has definitely been a Jekyl and Hyde poster child the last 3 years.Just like the game,programs go through their bumps and grinds with injuries, transfers,etc.As to the recruiting, you can have all the commits you can get or want, but until the MLB deadline in August you never know who will be in your incoming class.Congrats to your Yellow Jackets, they are playing some really good ball (12 wins in a row) at this stage of the season
0 permalink
3/24/2011 7:45:13 AM

GTbaseball
GTbaseball
I had no intentions of making this thread a flame fest on UGA. Just like to talk some baseball and since I followed them while at school there (outside of GT), I like to have discussions about it.

There isnt any jekyl and hyde with UGA the past 3 years. They havent been in the tournament and dont look like their going to make it either.

Personally would rather be in the tournament with a fighting chance every single year rather than having 1/4 years to make a trip.
0 permalink
3/24/2011 12:33:58 PM

eagleboy415
eagleboy415
I was just looking for an explanation is all. I don't follow GT so I didn't realize what y'all had that left and such. Thank you for elaborating though. I agree, there is a big difference between y'alls bringing in of 18 freshman and their bringing in of 19. Did not mean to come off as a jerk.
0 permalink
3/25/2011 6:08:35 AM

GTbaseball
GTbaseball
eagleboy415 wrote:
I was just looking for an explanation is all. I don't follow GT so I didn't realize what y'all had that left and such. Thank you for elaborating though. I agree, there is a big difference between y'alls bringing in of 18 freshman and their bringing in of 19. Did not mean to come off as a jerk.

No biggie. I am just pointing that out and maybe im wrong but I looked at their roster and have followed them pretty closely since that 08 recruiting class. Perno is starting to build a rep for oversigning.. And this comes straight from the East Cobb Horses Mouth.
0 permalink
3/26/2011 8:31:46 AM

mcrooster
mcrooster
I watched UGA last weekend in Columbia and I can tell you beyond the shadow of a doubt they get an A++ on the eye test but they just don't produce. Davidson, Hester, and Cone are beasts and I'd take Cone on my team right now, but they just don't produce much. They look like big leaguers but they sure don't play like them. That being said, I was very impressed with Palazzone on Saturday. He pounded the zone all day and could've easily thrown a shutout. Carolina got the equalizer with 2 outs in the 8th. Wood was awesome last weekend as well. Davidson looks like a 20 year old Adam Dunn but let's just say he's got a ways to go. The Gamecocks won that series without playing good defense or swinging the bats at all. I don't see a good season in Athens.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » UGA Baseball Program