Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Thorgreen - What's Up with the Ducks?

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/2/2011 11:32:15 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Thorgreen, just wanted to get your take on the Ducks. It looks like their starting pitching is doing well, but their bullpen is struggling. They don't seem to have any hitting right now. My concern is they will wait until the second half of the season and then turn on their hitting against my Beavers.
0 permalink
4/3/2011 9:37:19 AM

thorgreen
thorgreen
Well, barring what happens today I think we are again just not a top 3 pac finisher this year. Our starting pitching is sollid, but against good teams with good pitching- 3 runs scored against us is like a death sentence. It seems that one hitter is hot when everyone else is not. Plus all the line up changes are making me mad. I think the key to this team is Marder, Pulfer, Peterson, Alto and Serna. Our entire outfield right now is comprised of 2 freshman catchers... Thomas can play, but is young, and our only outfielder from last year broke his hand. They have got to hit more consistently with runners on. I laugh at Serna at times, because he makes some super sweet plays, but botches some easy ones. Also his base running blunder last night was tough. Getting thrown out on third trying to stretch a double. To put Sabol in after being out with a broken hand is hard to. All in all I think this is a better hitting team than last year, and that we will start putting together a good run. To play close with ASU shows our promise, and that hopefully we can win some series down the road. I would not be surprised if we lost another 1-2 run close game today. I still like this team, and will continue to root and follow though.
0 permalink
4/3/2011 8:07:51 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Thorgreen, thanks for the update. I'm sure the Ducks will take flight soon
0 permalink
4/4/2011 1:37:15 PM

BB41751
BB41751
They take too many base on balls. Activate the bats.
0 permalink
4/5/2011 10:28:48 AM

Daweez04
Daweez04
I never really buy the "they are young" excuse. It is rare to get a Senior on a good D1 program, if you want to win you have to get production from the young guys. Sometimes you may get lucky with a Junior heavy team, but to be good year in and year out you need freshman production.
0 permalink
4/10/2011 11:40:13 AM

thorgreen
thorgreen
Yesterday's game was another hard one to digest. Each loss is getting easier to stop following this club, and things that have been problematic are just happening over and over again. Hitting, errors, and just overall disappointment. The offense needs to get timely hitting- just look at our northern friends. They are winning because of timely hits. The confidence is oozing out of their pores. Heck, we let a 9 inning 4 hit shutout get away. Madison has been pitching his guts out this year. I really like T.A and CJ as well, but Madison has evolved into a player that is fun to watch and compete. Hopefully he can help fire up our offense and get things rolling. I might start watching our softball team a little more. It is nice to see the Ducks win.
0 permalink
4/10/2011 11:41:17 AM

thorgreen
thorgreen
WSU seems to be going through the same thing, so at least we are no alone. 14 losses at this point of the year will not get us to a regional though. We will almost have to win every series from here on out. Ouch
0 permalink
4/10/2011 1:25:28 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Your "northern cousins" went through much the same thing last year after a, what, 16 inning loss to UCLA. Took the heart out of them for like 12 games. It did come back though. Good luck to ya. Hate to see you with such low confidence and esteem when we hit your house in may. Would make it all too easy (which it will be anyways, but why give it away. LOL)
0 permalink
4/10/2011 5:00:42 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I'm sitting here at PK Park, watching the Ducks and Huskies. The Ducks finally get their first Pac 10 win. What an impressive stadium.
0 permalink
4/10/2011 6:40:20 PM

thorgreen
thorgreen
Yeah- the facility really rocks. Can't believe we only gave up 1 earned run all series, and lost two. Ouch. Well, Keudell had a great 3 hit shutout through 8, and some bats thawed out. Actually a fun one to watch today. For us to make it to the post season our bats have got to keep heating up- I feel good about the possibility of sneaking in at the end. Of course that would have to include a series win against the red hot team up north. Things still young, and anything can happen. Go Ducks!
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Thorgreen - What's Up with the Ducks?