Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » CHAT TRANSCRIPT: Our weekly college baseball chat

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/3/2011 11:45:25 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Here's the the link to the weekly chat:

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=5432
edited by Kendall on 4/4/2011

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
4/4/2011 4:02:50 PM

weg313
weg313
K, you know I love you, but your comment about UCLA over Rice is nothing short of insane. So you love Cole and Bauer (as does everybody else); that great, but let's take a look at reality...

RPI: Rice #22 vs.UCLA #92
ISR: Rice #23 vs. UCLA #46
SoS: Rice #21 vs. UCLA #58
Warren Nolan Power Index: Rice #43 vs.UCLA #82
W-L: Rice 21-11 vs. UCLA 14-9 (the difference is Rice has played 2 mid-weekers each week to just 1 for UCLA)
vs. Top 50: Rice 7-7 vs.UCLA 0-2
vs. Top 100: Rice 9-9 vs. UCLA 2-4

I'm at a loss to find even a singular rationale (other than bias) for ranking UCLA over Rice at the moment...and given Rice's very significant injury woes (Rendon, Fuda, Rathjen, McDowell), the young Owls are much more likely to improve as the season progresses.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
4/5/2011 12:19:38 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
weg313 wrote:
K, you know I love you, but your comment about UCLA over Rice is nothing short of insane. So you love Cole and Bauer (as does everybody else); that great, but let's take a look at reality...

RPI: Rice #22 vs.UCLA #92
ISR: Rice #23 vs. UCLA #46
SoS: Rice #21 vs. UCLA #58
Warren Nolan Power Index: Rice #43 vs.UCLA #82
W-L: Rice 21-11 vs. UCLA 14-9 (the difference is Rice has played 2 mid-weekers each week to just 1 for UCLA)
vs. Top 50: Rice 7-7 vs.UCLA 0-2
vs. Top 100: Rice 9-9 vs. UCLA 2-4

I'm at a loss to find even a singular rationale (other than bias) for ranking UCLA over Rice at the moment...and given Rice's very significant injury woes (Rendon, Fuda, Rathjen, McDowell), the young Owls are much more likely to improve as the season progresses.

Picking UCLA in a series over Rice is insane? c'mon now my friend .....

--
0 permalink
4/5/2011 6:40:57 AM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
K,
He did make a very solid argument backed up with stats.
0 permalink
4/5/2011 7:42:32 AM

weg313
weg313
Yes, Kendall. BTW, you do realize that both Kubitza and Reckling have superior ERAs than Cole, and Rice's 3rd weekend starter (Gonzales) has an ERA of 2.85? Offensively, as bad as the Owls have been (partly due to injuries), the Bruins make Rice's offense seem like Murderers Row.

--
0 permalink
4/5/2011 7:43:43 AM

weg313
weg313
BTW, K, you do realize UCLA has yet to win a weekend series against a team with a winning record; let alone a team in the Top 150?

--
0 permalink
4/5/2011 9:14:48 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
It's The Talons wrote:
K,
He did make a very solid argument backed up with stats.

Walt always makes very solid arguments, but I've seen both teams in person. Though I have issues with UCLA's bats, I'd take them in a three-game series over Rice right now.

--
0 permalink
4/5/2011 10:17:08 AM

weg313
weg313
Give me a break, K. You haven't seen Rice since the 3rd week of the season. Our infield defense, for one, has improved leaps and bounds since then (as Chargois gains experience at 1B and Hoelscher has made the adjustments at 3B). Also, since you last saw the Owls, Simms was moved to the back of the bullpen, Cingrani has been close to lights out, and both Spurlin and Fant have stepped up in relief.

You still have yet to provide a single rationale why you would pick UCLA over Rice. Sorry, K, it's makes no sense whatsoever based on performance todate and stats to date. As great as Cole and Bauer have been, they have not out pitched the Owls weekend rotation, and Rice has faced far stiffer competition. And offensively, as bad as Rice has been, they've hit better than UCLA....and the records, RPI, ISR, et al. reflect that.

--
0 permalink
4/5/2011 10:32:29 AM

Daweez04
Daweez04
Who REALLY cares what your ranking is this early in the year? If Rice is really that good, the will be there at the end of the year. As an Oregon State fan I embrace the low rankings, and I think the team does too. Poster board material.
0 permalink
4/5/2011 10:32:34 AM

CAM427R
CAM427R
Just got around to reading the transcript...and you must have missed Mahtook's average when you said he didn't have one of the better averages out there. He's batting .404 and was batting high .300's previous to this weekend.
0 permalink
4/5/2011 11:45:39 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
CAM427R wrote:
Just got around to reading the transcript...and you must have missed Mahtook's average when you said he didn't have one of the better averages out there. He's batting .404 and was batting high .300's previous to this weekend.

Yeah, I was looking through my notes from a couple of weeks ago. He has been sizzling at the plate.

--
0 permalink
4/5/2011 11:51:17 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
weg313 wrote:
Give me a break, K. You haven't seen Rice since the 3rd week of the season. Our infield defense, for one, has improved leaps and bounds since then (as Chargois gains experience at 1B and Hoelscher has made the adjustments at 3B). Also, since you last saw the Owls, Simms was moved to the back of the bullpen, Cingrani has been close to lights out, and both Spurlin and Fant have stepped up in relief.

You still have yet to provide a single rationale why you would pick UCLA over Rice. Sorry, K, it's makes no sense whatsoever based on performance todate and stats to date. As great as Cole and Bauer have been, they have not out pitched the Owls weekend rotation, and Rice has faced far stiffer competition. And offensively, as bad as Rice has been, they've hit better than UCLA....and the records, RPI, ISR, et al. reflect that.

Walt,
First of all, when have you seen UCLA play in person? You say I haven't seen Rice since the third week of the season, yet, I'm curious to see how much you've watched the Bruins play this season.

As for reasoning, I gave you a perfectly good reason, the fact that UCLA has a much better one-two punch of Cole and Bauer. If you'd take Kubitza or whoever else over those two, then I'd just say "wow".

Looking at RPI numbers or what not as to determine a head-to-head series between two teams that you've seen would be incredibly silly on my part.

I'd take UCLA over Rice in a three-game series right now. No doubt about it.

--
0 permalink
4/5/2011 4:07:49 PM

GEAUX-DAT13
GEAUX-DAT13
with the injuries that Rice has i couldnt agree more with Kendall. Cole and Bauer are the only reasons UCLA have the advantage, but it is an advantage none the less. I dont think its NEAR as big a deal as you're making it out to be though. Chill-ax big guy
0 permalink
4/5/2011 5:01:50 PM

GTbaseball
GTbaseball
GT vs. Vandy
UVA vs. UF
UNC vs. South Carolina
Miami vs. UGA

Give me your thoughts on those matchups.. since you said SEC East is better.
edited by GTbaseball on 4/5/2011
0 permalink
4/6/2011 11:37:14 AM

Out of Conference
Out of Conference
GTbaseball wrote:
GT vs. Vandy
UVA vs. UF
UNC vs. South Carolina
Miami vs. UGA

Give me your thoughts on those matchups.. since you said SEC East is better.
edited by GTbaseball on 4/5/2011

Vandy - just looking too good
UVA - same for UVA, although the Friday night would be the best pitching duel this year
SC - interesting to think about, but I like SC's chances here
UGA - really depends on what UGA team shows up.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » CHAT TRANSCRIPT: Our weekly college baseball chat