Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Oregon State Catcher, Andrew Susac...

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/6/2011 3:56:46 PM

BeaverQuist
BeaverQuist
Has a broken bone in his wrist. He will be sidelined this weekend against Arizona State.

Close source to the program has told me.
0 permalink
4/6/2011 5:19:24 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Ouch. I know he missed yesteday's game against Portland, but didn't hear why. I just assumed they were resting him.

Here is a link to an article from Oregon Live

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2011/04/andrew_susac_jake_rodriguez_qu.html
edited by BeaverBob on 4/6/2011
0 permalink
4/6/2011 8:09:48 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
This will more than likely hurt on both sides of the field. Dam bad thing to have happen for the kid and the team.Cry
0 permalink
4/7/2011 9:27:29 AM

Daweez04
Daweez04
Kendall, what do you think the Beaver's chances are without Andrew?
0 permalink
4/9/2011 11:12:54 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
This almost ruined my day yesterday when I didn't see Susac in the lineup and checked for an injury report. But then the Beavers beat ASU anyway, so I didn't feel so bad.

Susac said he will mostly likely have surgery in the summer after the season is over. "Eventually it has to get operated on but it's something you could play through," he said. "I'm just waiting for the swelling to go down and we'll see how it feels. I think it's 4-6 weeks for recovery.

So a 4- to 6-week recovery that he could get started on now and be back in time for the Civil War series and the postseason, or play with an injured hand until summer. What would you do? And is it true that one can "play through" this type of injury? Or does that mean DHing or an occasional pinch hit?
0 permalink
4/9/2011 12:08:06 PM

BeaverQuist
BeaverQuist
You can definitely play through an injury like this. Right now he just has to wait for the swelling to go down. I think the biggest part of this game that it will effect is throwing.

You will probably see Susac in the DH position more frequently now. And it will somewhat hamper him in the hitting department. It's tough to say though as I've seen some players basically not be effected by it all.
0 permalink
4/9/2011 1:27:02 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Isn't this in his non-throwing hand? If so, I don't know about it affecting his throwing as much as his catching. Is it also possible this was the reason for those passed ball errors in the first Arizona game?
edited by Florida Beaver on 4/9/2011
0 permalink
4/9/2011 7:30:26 PM

Daweez04
Daweez04
From my understanding he wont be able to catch 100+ pitches a game just because of how much it will hurt. So yes, I see him DHing mostly, maybe catching for parts of game to give Parker some rest.
0 permalink
4/10/2011 1:27:02 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
call me ignorant, but if he broke that bone swinging the bat, wouldn't that severely affect his batting more than his catching?
0 permalink
4/10/2011 3:23:55 PM

Daweez04
Daweez04
From everything i have read on this injury once the swelling goes down, he wont be able to damage it anymore and just becomes uncomfortable because it isn't his power arm. But as a catcher, he is constantly catching 85+ mph balls (mid 90s if Josh is throwing) with that hand, which could cause swelling and additional discomfort. If he only has to grip the bat 4 or 5 times a game it will be much more manageable compared to catching 100+ pitches and gripping the bat.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Oregon State Catcher, Andrew Susac...