Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » South Carolina Pitching Staff

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/11/2011 12:03:06 AM

Tommy Salami
Tommy Salami
For everyone who is salivating over the more heralded staffs of Florida and Vanderbilt and letting South Carolina go under the radar I have some stats for yall. These are the conference statistics through 12 games of conference play in the SEC. Take notice of the incredible dominance by the SC pitching staff.

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Earned run avg
1. South Carolina 1.58
2. Florida 2.10
3. Vanderbilt 2.19
4. Arkansas 3.14
5. Georgia 3.45

Opposing bat avg
1. South Carolina .189
2. Vanderbilt .214
3. Florida .231
4. Arkansas .237
5. Georgia .265

Hits allowed
1. South Carolina 69
2. Vanderbilt 84
3. Arkansas 92
4. Florida 93
5. Georgia 105

Runs allowed
1. South Carolina 21
2. Florida 32
3. Vanderbilt 32
4. Arkansas 49
5. Georgia 54

SC has allowed 11 less runs than the next best teams in UF and Vandy.

Fielding pct
1. South Carolina .981
2. Tennessee .980
3. Vanderbilt .975
4. Florida .971
5. Georgia .968

Earned run avg
1. Grayson Garvin-VU 0.65
2. Matt Price-SC 0.68
3. Forrest Koumas-SC 0.78
4. Colby Holmes-SC 1.20
5. John Taylor-SC 1.32
6. Sonny Gray-VU 1.37
7. Michael Roth-SC 1.48

Notice SC has 4 of the top 5 leaders in individual ERA with Roth also coming in at 7.

Opposing bat avg
1. Forrest Koumas-SC .130
2. John Taylor-SC .152
3. Grayson Garvin-VU .163
4. Matt Price-SC .191
5. Sonny Gray-VU .196
6. Randall Fant-AR .197
7. Colby Holmes-SC .200
11. Michael Roth-SC .229

Here SC has 3 of the top 4 in opponent batting average with holmes also coming in at 7 and Roth at 11.
[/font]
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]*Note that 3 of the 4 teams that SC has played series against UF, UK, and UT are all in the top half of the conference in overall batting average and slugging percentage which makes these statistics even more impressive.*[/font]
0 permalink
4/11/2011 9:39:03 AM

hubbyb014
hubbyb014
our pitching has definitely been the best part of the team so far.

funny to think that pre season the pitching was what kept us from being seen by most experts as a top 5 team and legit "repeat" threat. when up to this point our weekend pitching has been more consistent than last years (bc dyson struggled so much to open the year and jay brown was avg at best).
0 permalink
4/11/2011 2:10:45 PM

Tommy Salami
Tommy Salami
Yeah, our young guys have really stepped up in the weekend rotation. Webb and Neff both went out with injuries and have been replaced by stellar pitching from Koumas and Holmes. Taylor has been unhittable as our set up men out of the pen and Price of course is a shut down closer. Meyers has done a very good job with our staff this year. If our pitching keeps up like this we will be very hard to beat. Should be a great series this weekend with Vandy.
0 permalink
4/11/2011 10:40:09 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Tommy Salami wrote:
Yeah, our young guys have really stepped up in the weekend rotation. Webb and Neff both went out with injuries and have been replaced by stellar pitching from Koumas and Holmes. Taylor has been unhittable as our set up men out of the pen and Price of course is a shut down closer. Meyers has done a very good job with our staff this year. If our pitching keeps up like this we will be very hard to beat. Should be a great series this weekend with Vandy.

You really can't say enough about South Carolina's pitching staff. You watch all of those guys throw and none of them make you go "wow" except maybe Michael Roth. But they all throw strikes and have nearly impeccable command of the strike zone. Tanner is doing a better coaching job this year than he did last year, and that's saying something.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
4/13/2011 8:36:57 AM

Out of Conference
Out of Conference
As dumb as this sounds, I will say it's the surprises that are most surprising about the squad, but also I believe sets us up for trouble. Westmoreland & Webb's difficulties have surprised me, and the previously little known guys stepping up big (Koumis, Holmes, and to some extent Harper) have been surprising. Someone always seem to step up when you need, but would like to see the big guns work out their kinks for the meat grinder that is the post-season. Roth dominates and that's no surprise. Taylor & Neff seem to be in their natural progression of improvement over last year and doing well. I don't see Meyer using as many situational appearances as Calvi used last year, but it doesn't worry me - pitching is not the current weakness of this team by any stretch.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » South Carolina Pitching Staff