Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pick it - Debate it....Vandy @ USC

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/11/2011 10:28:14 AM

Paradise22
Paradise22
What a weekend series this should be in Columbia.
0 permalink
4/11/2011 11:10:33 AM

BTExpress
BTExpress
Administrator
I'm not picking it or debating it......I'm just ready for three days at Carolina Stadium sitting in my shaded box seats ready for an awesome SEC series.

I'm a die hard USC fan that has massive respect for Vanderbilt University.
0 permalink
4/11/2011 4:49:31 PM

hubbyb014
hubbyb014
I'll pick and debate it.

HITTING
I think the Gamecocks have been pretty inconsistent at the plate for much of the year. In the bottom half of most batting statistics in the SEC thus far. Where Vandy has been consistently scoring runs all year and leads the SEC in batting average, on base percentage, and is 2nd in runs scored.
Jackie Bradley has been inconsistent, Matthews is still hurt, and we dont seem to have a true "table setting guy"
Edge to Vandy

PITCHING
I think the Gamecocks starting pitching staff is very underrated. The SEC leaders in opponents batting average and total runs allowed. But I bet most experts think Vandy starters Gray and Garvin are better starters than Roth and Holmes (assuming Neff doesnt comeback for his first start Sat.). I would have to say that the Friday Gray-Roth matchup could be a classic.
I like SC's bullpen more though with John Taylor, Bryan Harper and of course Matt Price to close any game out.
EVEN

DEFENSE
Both teams are fairly solid defensively with SC holding an edge in fielding percentage .976 to .971

INTANGIBLES
Some how through out the course of the year, the Gamecocks have found a way to get it done. The team is just gritty and doesn't wanna lose. I know this sounds crazy, but I think most players and fans still dont feel respected nationally even after winning a title, beating number 1 florida on the road and winning every series this year.
Plus we are playing at home in front of one of the SEC's best crowds
Edge to USC

I'll take SC in the underdog position once again... this team refuses to lose and you'll see that on Friday night when Roth takes the mound!

Gamecocks get 2/3
0 permalink
4/11/2011 4:59:32 PM

Tommy Salami
Tommy Salami
I think SC takes 2/3 in a very tough low scoring series. Every game will be a close pitching battle but I think with the help of home field advantage SC scratches out just enough runs to take the series.
0 permalink
4/11/2011 8:12:15 PM

hogfan4life
hogfan4life
I haven't seen SC yet but man was Vandy good
0 permalink
4/12/2011 9:53:58 AM

BeaverQuist
BeaverQuist
This is going to be a very exciting series to watch this weekend. I'll take USCe 2-1.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pick it - Debate it....Vandy @ USC