Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Lets have some fun! Kendall and whoever else.

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 3 4 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/12/2011 4:36:26 PM

hogfan4life
hogfan4life
Give me 2 teams that you believe AREN'T as good as their ranking/record and 2 teams that you feel ARE better than their ranking/unranked/record.

I feel LSU is better than their record and probably Goergia as well. Those are just teams I see play often because they are in the sec.

Hopefully I can do this without starting a fight among people.

I feel Southern Miss might be slightly overrated. I feel like they wouldn't have that kind of record in pac-10, sec, acc or big12. It's hard to find 2 when you don't see a lot outside your conference but I think I will go with....Troy, I'm not impressed with more than a couple of their wins. I believe there are other teams that are more deserving of top 25.

Anyways, don't want to offend anybody, I just want to get some discussion going in this board! I know I enjoy getting others perspective on a team from somebody other than your teams' fan.
-2 permalink
4/12/2011 5:07:16 PM

BeaverQuist
BeaverQuist
2 teams better than their ranking/record. LSU and UCLA.

2 teams not better than their ranking/record: Louisville and Rice
0 permalink
4/13/2011 8:02:59 AM

SOSEAGLE
SOSEAGLE
Overrated? RPI of 9 with a SOS of 12 and 3-1 vs. the SEC. Really? I respect your opinion but come on.
+3 permalink
4/13/2011 10:59:04 AM

shoelessT
shoelessT
2 teams not as good as their ranking: definitely Southern Miss and the other I would say FSU
-2 permalink
4/13/2011 12:54:45 PM

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Overrated- definitely Arkansas
+2 permalink
4/13/2011 1:12:02 PM

Eagle04
Eagle04
You guys that say Southern Miss is overrated, please explain why, with facts of course.
+1 permalink
4/13/2011 1:20:03 PM

Medic_Eagle
Medic_Eagle
Exactly why do you think Southern Miss is overrated? As stated, RPI of 9 (as high as 2 a week ago, SOS of 12 in the nation, and playing in the 3/4 RPI conference. Please explain with facts, not bias.

Overrated... Stanford.
+1 permalink
4/13/2011 2:05:15 PM

shiftyeagle
shiftyeagle
We are 3-1 against the SEC. The SEC is overrated. CUSA is underrated.

Overrated teams: LSU and Alabama

Underrated: UAB, Memphis
+1 permalink
4/13/2011 2:40:51 PM

shoelessT
shoelessT
You beat Ole Miss twice and Alabama once...all in midweek and that is what you are baseing you ranking off of? Come on. You lost 2 of 3 to Memphis and 2 of 3 to Troy. I guarantee you there are 30 teams who could win the series that Southern Miss won. UCF? Misourri St? Those are not exactly marquee series wins. You lost your biggest series of the year at Troy and you have beat a bad SEC team twice. Sorry but I am not that impressed. Elite programs do not lose to Memphis 2 of 3.

As for FSU being overrated: I just do not think they have any pitching at all.
0 permalink
4/13/2011 2:41:44 PM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
C-USA does have winning record against the SEC this year, 13-11.
0 permalink
4/13/2011 3:05:24 PM

Eagle04
Eagle04
shoelessT wrote:
You beat Ole Miss twice and Alabama once...all in midweek and that is what you are baseing you ranking off of? Come on. You lost 2 of 3 to Memphis and 2 of 3 to Troy. I guarantee you there are 30 teams who could win the series that Southern Miss won. UCF? Misourri St? Those are not exactly marquee series wins. You lost your biggest series of the year at Troy and you have beat a bad SEC team twice. Sorry but I am not that impressed. Elite programs do not lose to Memphis 2 of 3.

So who is your team shoeless? You're obviously riding the SEC train.
0 permalink
4/13/2011 3:17:44 PM

shoelessT
shoelessT
haha trust me I cannot stand the SEC. I think they are the most ridiculous fans ever. I am a Miami fan and trust me...I know we slightly suck. In fact I have no doubt that Southern Miss would easily beat Miami this year. But I still just think that Southern Miss is way overrated for what they have done this year. I know they are a good team and I went to ECU so I will root for Conf USA maybe during postseason but I do not think they are elite. If I am wrong I will be first to admit it. I actually enjoy watching them. I like Vollmuth a lot. I am just not so sure they are as good as Southern Miss fans are making them out to be. Convince me otherwise...
0 permalink
4/13/2011 3:18:52 PM

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Southern Miss, like most teams, would struggle in the SEC East, but would be a contender in the West this year. Teams have slumps and we had one this past week. Memphis is a dangerous team because they can hit and they run well. Troy is a solid team. At this point you could pull losses out of just about anyone's schedule (outside of a few teams) and find some less than stellar losses. But honestly, Southern Miss only has one bad loss, a mid-week loss to UL-Monroe. The other 7 losses were to teams in the rpi Top 100.
Now, if we don't clean up our fielding then we will lose plenty of games this season.
+1 permalink
4/13/2011 3:25:16 PM

shiftyeagle
shiftyeagle
shoelessT wrote:

The same Troy team that is #27 in the nation? They're legit. Like to see whoever your team is play them.

North Carolina lost 2 of 3 to Wake Forest. TCU lost to a team that was 1-22. Clemson lost 2 of 3 to NC State. South Carolina just lost to the Citadel. LSU just lost to 11-22 Northwestern State.

There will be 6-8 teams that will go the entire year without losing a series to a team they shouldn't have lost to. It's college baseball, it happens. It's a long season.

UCF took 2 of 3 from Georgia and has also beaten Florida. UAB beat Alabama. Memphis beat Ole Miss. USM has beaten Ole Miss twice and Alabama. Rice just beat Texas A&M. CUSA is a premier baseball conference. I think your head is stuck so far up the BCS' fourth point of contact that it rubs off on your view of College Baseball. Ole Miss threw the kitchen sink at us last night and still couldn't beat us.
+1 permalink
4/13/2011 5:24:44 PM

shoelessT
shoelessT
Ok you have good points with bad losses. I understand everyone has bad losses. But those teams you mentioned also have very good wins. UNC just won a series at FSU and they swept Clemson. Most of the games you speak of are midweek games and I do not think they would translate into winning a series. FSU is 3-1 vs UF but if they played a weekend series I would almost guarantee UF would take 2 of 3 and possibly sweep them. UCF taking 2 of 3 vs Georgia is really not all that impressive. I am still waiting on Georgia to see how good they are. Didn't Stetson sweep them? I know Stetson is good but come on.

Now for Troy...come on. Yes they are good and solid but as a Miami fan I am praying that we get sent to Troy as a 2 seed. Troy is...well...Troy. What I am saying is that Southern Miss does not have a great series win to justify a high ranking. Sweeping UCF is nice I guess. Like I said, I have nothing against Southern Miss. I wish them well. Loved watching them beat UF a couple years ago to get to Omaha. Loved it.
0 permalink
4/13/2011 6:50:26 PM

Tommy Salami
Tommy Salami
no team in C-USA could take a weekend series against SC, Vandy, or UF. IF you are trying to say the C-USA is better than the SEC thats pretty silly.
0 permalink
4/13/2011 7:20:06 PM

Medic_Eagle
Medic_Eagle
Tommy Salami wrote:
no team in C-USA could take a weekend series against SC, Vandy, or UF. IF you are trying to say the C-USA is better than the SEC thats pretty silly.

I believe UCF has already beaten UF. UAB just beat Miss. State, making the record 14-11 conference vs conference. As for Vandy and USC-lite... Southern Miss will just have to play them in our 9th straight regional invite... or wait until Omaha. I welcome your response, but once again, please use facts.
0 permalink
4/13/2011 9:46:52 PM

Traveling Light
Traveling Light
Medic_Eagle wrote:
I believe UCF has already beaten UF. UAB just beat Miss. State, making the record 14-11 conference vs conference. As for Vandy and USC-lite... Southern Miss will just have to play them in our 9th straight regional invite... or wait until Omaha. I welcome your response, but once again, please use facts.

USC-lite? I realize Southern Cal has an entire trophy case full of CWS titles, but I believe with this being a college baseball only board that South Carolina has more than proven themselves in the sport as to not be labeled with such a demeaning moniker. Southern Miss is having a great season so far and has some quality wins. Are they overrated? No one can say for certain until the postseason, and when they receive a 9th straight regional invite, we'll have a much better idea of the team's ability. I'm not getting into the discussion over which teams may be over/underrated purely because I haven't seen enough baseball to offer up a sound opinion. But honestly, why do people feel the need to disintegrate any decent message board discussion into a p*ssing contest? The beauty of college baseball is that with the playoff format, all arguments get settled on the field.
0 permalink
4/13/2011 11:31:07 PM

Tommy Salami
Tommy Salami
Medic_Eagle wrote:
Tommy Salami wrote:

Yea UCF beat UF in a midweek game against their midweek pitching. Do you really think they could take them in a weekend series? Come on lets be realistic. and USC-lite? Wow, I guess being the defending national champs still doesnt warrant any respect from you. Lets also add the 4th best winning percentage in the country since 2000 and the best winning percentage in that same time span in the SEC both overall and in SEC conference play. Now tack on 4 Omaha appearances, 8 Super regionals and a national title. Okay 9 straight, Im not impressed, "USC-lite" has a current streak of 13 straight regionals easily on their way to number 14. Are those good enough statistics for you?
0 permalink
4/13/2011 11:32:58 PM

Tommy Salami
Tommy Salami
Those 4 Omaha appearences and 8 super regionals were just in that ten year span btw
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 4 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Lets have some fun! Kendall and whoever else.