Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Oregon State vs. Stanford

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/17/2011 1:47:50 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Pat Casey is throwing freshman Scott Schultz (2-0, 3-09 ERA) in today's game against the Cardinal. He had some problems last weekend in his first inning in relief of Josh Osich, but settled down and shut down the Sun Devils for the last four innings to get the win. Now he starts for the Beavers against Stanford. Casey is getting great results from his freshmen. Is Schultz ready to start in a Pac-10 road game? Seems like a tough spot to put a kid in, but if he gets it done, it could pay off greatly for Oregon State, this year and next.
0 permalink
4/17/2011 2:30:27 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Dean McArdle goes 2.1 IP and leaves the bases loaded with one out and a 2-1 lead.
0 permalink
4/17/2011 3:44:41 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Subfreshman Kavin Keyes is swinging the bat like a senior for the Beavs. Another two-out, 2-RBI single for Keyes, and the Beavers lead 5-2.
0 permalink
4/17/2011 4:41:26 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
First sweep ever for the Beavs at the Sunken Diamond. 8-1 in conference play, 8-1 against conference top-25 teams (not including the nonconference win vs. Oregon), and 6-0 against the projected top-two conference finishers.
0 permalink
4/17/2011 4:54:07 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
This is so dam excitingToast
edited by Florida Beaver on 4/17/2011
0 permalink
4/17/2011 5:19:54 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Remember when the "experts" pegged OSU to finish between 6th and 9th?
Remember when they picked Duck U as the #2 team in the country?
0 permalink
4/17/2011 5:43:28 PM

BeaverQuist
BeaverQuist
SouthernBeaver wrote:
First sweep ever for the Beavs at the Sunken Diamond. 8-1 in conference play, 8-1 against conference top-25 teams (not including the nonconference win vs. Oregon), and 6-0 against the projected top-two conference finishers.

Hate to rain in on the last part, but I believe UCLA was picked to finish 1st in the Pac-10. ASU 2nd, not sure bout Stanford. Either 3rd or 4th.
0 permalink
4/17/2011 7:37:54 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
I was going off Mike Parker on that last one. I think he was referring to the picks made by the conference coaches, though I could have misheard.
BeaverQuist wrote:
SouthernBeaver wrote:

Hate to rain in on the last part, but I believe UCLA was picked to finish 1st in the Pac-10. ASU 2nd, not sure bout Stanford. Either 3rd or 4th.
0 permalink
4/17/2011 8:03:07 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Here's the link: http://www.pac-10.org/News/tabid/863/Article/219882/pac-10-baseball-coaches-pick-ucla-as-2011-favorite.aspx

2011 Pac-10 Baseball Preseason Coaches’ Poll
1. UCLA (8) 79
2. Stanford (2) 66
3. Arizona State 60
4. Oregon 59
5. Arizona 48
6. California 46
7. Washington State 37
8. Oregon State 28
9. USC 16
10. Washington 11

And here's what the standings look like today:

1. Oregon State
2. California
3. UCLA
4. Arizona State
5. USC
6. Arizona
7. Stanford
8. Oregon
9. Washington
10. Washington State
0 permalink
4/17/2011 8:33:54 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Beavers -- so far so good. However, a long ways to go. I'm really concerned about the Cougs this next weekend. They tend to struggle with WSU. I'd hate to see WSU decide to starting playing ball against the Beavs.
0 permalink
4/17/2011 8:59:31 PM

BeaverQuist
BeaverQuist
Ah, I was just going off the preseason rankings. My bad So. Beav.
0 permalink
4/17/2011 11:33:12 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
BeaverBob wrote:
Beavers -- so far so good. However, a long ways to go. I'm really concerned about the Cougs this next weekend. They tend to struggle with WSU. I'd hate to see WSU decide to starting playing ball against the Beavs.

Right. My concern too. But it will be at home. I still think the Cougs will wait another week to start winning again (Apple Cup series).

Trivia: Wazzu is the team that has the most wins over Oregon State. In fact, if we were to sweep them every year for eleven years straight, we'd still not break even.
0 permalink
4/18/2011 12:21:34 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
I'm not as concerned as I was last year. Remember, we had just lost a crushing 16 inning defeat from UCLA at home, followed by a sweep by Stanford at home. Then went on the road to play Wazzu without heart or spirit to carry us through. This year is different. Not to say it will be a cakewalk. Never that, but given the differences in track records, this year to last, the concern level is down. My biggest concern, (trying not to look past ANY team), is UCLA on the road and Cal at home. I hope cool, cold, calculated payback is on the Beav's minds at UCLA. A lot of talk on UCLA's vaunted pitching crew (or at least two of them). Be real nice and sweet to take the series at their house this year (or a sweep would be REALLY nice). However, as you say, Wazzu is our next contest to overcome. Go Beavs.

As an aside, sorry to our Beaver state brothers to the south. The series loss to USC has got to sting.Pat on the head
This is so dam exciting.
0 permalink
4/18/2011 2:20:06 AM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Florida Beaver wrote:
I'm not as concerned as I was last year. Remember, we had just lost a crushing 16 inning defeat from UCLA at home, followed by a sweep by Stanford at home. Then went on the road to play Wazzu without heart or spirit to carry us through. This year is different. Not to say it will be a cakewalk. Never that, but given the differences in track records, this year to last, the concern level is down. My biggest concern, (trying not to look past ANY team), is UCLA on the road and Cal at home. I hope cool, cold, calculated payback is on the Beav's minds at UCLA. A lot of talk on UCLA's vaunted pitching crew (or at least two of them). Be real nice and sweet to take the series at their house this year (or a sweep would be REALLY nice). However, as you say, Wazzu is our next contest to overcome. Go Beavs.

As an aside, sorry to our Beaver state brothers to the south. The series loss to USC has got to sting.Pat on the head
This is so dam exciting.

FB, I can almost detect a level of sincerity regarding your empathy for our fowl brothers
0 permalink
4/18/2011 2:37:14 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
B1B,
Yeah, well. It's no fun kicking a team (or a fan) when they are down. Such high expectations were held for this year's duckling team, to have it almost all come to naught (As of yet, the season ain't over) has really have to depress them. Oh well. There's always next year (That's what I say for our football team. A LOT)Sugar High
edited by Florida Beaver on 4/18/2011
0 permalink
4/18/2011 11:09:27 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Florida Beaver wrote:
B1B,
Yeah, well. It's no fun kicking a team (or a fan) when they are down. Such high expectations were held for this year's duckling team, to have it almost all come to naught (As of yet, the season ain't over) has really have to depress them.

The problem was last year was an aberration. They played far better than they should have given the previous year's results, and that has skewed Duck fans' expectations. This year is probably where they should have been last year, and the very successful season they had in 2010 should not have occurred until next year, IMO. The few Duck fans I've seen on these boards are expressing doubts about their team and whether to continue supporting them. That's crazy. Baseball is not a sport you can throw milions of dollars at and get a national championship in in two seasons. But I think there are Duck fans who are already disappointed they are not at the top of the conference standings.

Last year's (premature) success could turn out to be detrimental to the program.
0 permalink
4/18/2011 12:43:42 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Florida Beaver wrote:
B1B,
Yeah, well. It's no fun kicking a team (or a fan) when they are down. Such high expectations were held for this year's duckling team, to have it almost all come to naught (As of yet, the season ain't over) has really have to depress them. Oh well. There's always next year (That's what I say for our football team. A LOT)Sugar High
edited by Florida Beaver on 4/18/2011

FB, I know the phrase "There's always next year" very well. As a student at OSU during the Avanzano years and a season ticket holder for the last 30 years, there wasn't much to root for. Actually, my favorite phrase back then was "Wait until basketball season." Now, it's "wait until baseball season."
edited by BeaverBob on 4/18/2011
+1 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Oregon State vs. Stanford