Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Who's Next?

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/17/2011 4:36:22 PM

hubbyb014
hubbyb014
How many more number 1's do we have to beat before the defending national champs get some respect and finally take back the number 1 spot in the rankings? (which imo they never dropped from since June until they lost a series).

If Monday were only in the 2 spot (like I'm sure we will be) tell Virginia we'll play em anywhere! And they better bring their 2010 bats bc we are gonna bring some pitchin!
0 permalink
4/17/2011 4:45:58 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
#2 didn't lose this weekend, so, um.... one more? trick question?
0 permalink
4/17/2011 4:51:14 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
And being number 2 shows no respect? If you want to be #1, it really only matters where you are ranked once in the entire year. After the last game of the CWS. Chill dude. The college baseball world know how good you are. (Slightly less good than the Beavs, but still pretty darn good. )
0 permalink
4/17/2011 5:58:09 PM

ACC Fan
ACC Fan
The Cavs have a few arms of their own, including starters Hultzen and Wilson. Obviously, I think it would be a pretty great Championship series, but we've got plenty of baseball left to play before that comes. I think S. Carolina should be ranked #1 after this weekend, but I'm sure Virginia will be #1 in some polls too. Either way, both Virginia and S. Carolina have done everything that has been asked of them and more. Both teams are on pace to be Top 3-6 seeds no matter what happens in the Conference Tournaments, that's really all that matters.

Congratulations on a great series win...now, don't have any hiccups like the Citadel!
hubbyb014 wrote:
How many more number 1's do we have to beat before the defending national champs get some respect and finally take back the number 1 spot in the rankings? (which imo they never dropped from since June until they lost a series).

If Monday were only in the 2 spot (like I'm sure we will be) tell Virginia we'll play em anywhere! And they better bring their 2010 bats bc we are gonna bring some pitchin!
0 permalink
4/17/2011 6:36:58 PM

KennethNoisewater
KennethNoisewater
Great weekend for South Carolina for sure....but didn't they do what is expected of two evenly matched teams? They won the series at home, and chances are Vandy wins that series if they were at home.

2-2 on the week...and that merits a jump over the #2 team who went 5-0?

Tough sell, but I'm sure some pollsters will have no problem with that kind of inconsistency.
0 permalink
4/17/2011 10:16:37 PM

hubbyb014
hubbyb014
I'm not saying we necessarily merit the jump over virginia, bc we did lose a mid week game.... im just sayin we got zero respect in the preseason polls which have put us behind the 8 ball all year in the polls and we have done everything we can possibly do this season so far to get the #1 spot that gamecock players and fans think we probably deserved.

But yes I know number 1 doesnt really matter anyways. only 1-8 national seeds are most important to pave the road to omaha!
0 permalink
4/17/2011 10:18:30 PM

hubbyb014
hubbyb014
Florida Beaver wrote:
(Slightly less good than the Beavs, but still pretty darn good. )

I'd love to play the Beavers in Omaha! That be an all time classic mascot match up too (cocks vs. beavers)
0 permalink
4/18/2011 6:11:34 AM

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
As far as the pre-season polls go, I thought they were very generous to Carolina.Considering we had to replace a couple of position players and most of our starting rotation, there was no way we should have been" given "a top 10 ranking. Should we be # 1 ? No way imo. To be da' man, you gotta beat da' man, and the man is UVA at this point. I am very pleased with how Carolina has played so far, but baseball is a funny game and has a way of biting you in the ass if you don't bring your very best every day.I'll reserve judgement as to the Gamecocks deserve a # 1 ranking when we have finished the conference schedule. There's way too much ball left to be played.

--
Baseball is like church....many attend but few understand.
0 permalink
4/18/2011 7:33:11 AM

jkag89
jkag89
Sheesh. I will never understand all the weeping, wailing, & gnashing of teeth over meaningless mid-season rankings, especially by fans of teams who won CWS. I would trade every single pre-season/mid-season #1 ranking for just one time to be on top in the last game played in Omaha.
0 permalink
4/18/2011 8:55:15 AM

gamecocks1
gamecocks1
Based on the current rankings and last weeks results, Virginia deserves the #1 spot. I honestly do not want that ranking at this point in the season. It just puts a target on your back. We just need to keep winning our conference games and the rest will take care of itself.
0 permalink
4/18/2011 4:31:47 PM

ACC Fan
ACC Fan
Amen...For the last month the N. Carolina fans have been whining like children only to see the team get exposed for what they really are: A Decent ball club that is wildly inconsistent and young.

The S. Carolina fans have a little more to work with, but the rankings will matter at only one point in the season. I wouldn't care if Virginia was ranked #10, but they are #1 because they have been consistent all year, unlike most other teams.
jkag89 wrote:
Sheesh. I will never understand all the weeping, wailing, & gnashing of teeth over meaningless mid-season rankings, especially by fans of teams who won CWS. I would trade every single pre-season/mid-season #1 ranking for just one time to be on top in the last game played in Omaha.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Who's Next?