Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Miss State suspends player for flipping off....

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/17/2011 10:35:11 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Mississippi State coach John Cohen suspended Brent Brownlee today for flipping off a fan after the Bulldogs' game against Arkansas earlier today.

I, for one, respect Cohen for running a tight ship in today's age in college athletics, but I do think suspension is a little excessive ... seems a few grass drills and a stern talk would do the trick.

What say you all?

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
4/17/2011 10:37:40 PM

prongATO
prongATO
I agree. I think a suspension is a bit harsh. On one hand we have to remember that they are just kids out there playing ball. On the other hand, whether they like it or not, they are roll models.

I don't envy that coaches situation for sure..
0 permalink
4/18/2011 1:14:57 AM

BeaverQuist
BeaverQuist
How long was the suspension... if it is one game, no problem with it. If it's one series, again, no problem with it. Any long than that is getting a bit extreme.
0 permalink
4/18/2011 7:54:01 AM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
BeaverQuist wrote:
How long was the suspension... if it is one game, no problem with it. If it's one series, again, no problem with it. Any long than that is getting a bit extreme.

This. The kid disrespected the game in Cohen's eyes and needs a firm punishment.
0 permalink
4/18/2011 8:02:24 AM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
Depends... grass drills would be fitting for a lower level, but he is in the public's eye and needs a punishment that EVERYONE will see.
0 permalink
4/18/2011 10:53:12 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
He was handed a one-game suspension, FYI.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
4/18/2011 1:53:01 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Kendall wrote:

While Oregon State's pitching coach received no penalty for receiving a DUII.
0 permalink
4/18/2011 2:08:03 PM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
BeaverBob wrote:
Kendall wrote:

I understand the severity of a DUI but that is an off-field incident.
0 permalink
4/18/2011 2:47:50 PM

BeaverQuist
BeaverQuist
BeaverBob wrote:
Kendall wrote:

I was expecting something to happen with that... I don't think it's quite settled yet though.
0 permalink
4/18/2011 5:27:16 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
BeaverQuist wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:
Kendall wrote:

I was expecting something to happen with that... I don't think it's quite settled yet though.

I think you are right, but like it was said, it was an off-field incident so it is a different beast altogether. I wouldn't be surprised if he is having some major in-house punishment until Casey decides whether or not to retain him... after the season is over.
0 permalink
4/18/2011 9:00:29 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
SouthernBeaver wrote:
BeaverQuist wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:
Kendall wrote:

I think you are right, but like it was said, it was an off-field incident so it is a different beast altogether. I wouldn't be surprised if he is having some major in-house punishment until Casey decides whether or not to retain him... after the season is over.

I'm not sure I understand the logic here. So, if a player gets drunk and beats up his girlfriend, as long as he does it off field, there should be no penalty or suspension? I can't think of a more serious offense that driving while drunk, especially for a coach. Coaches should be setting examples for their players.
0 permalink
4/18/2011 10:38:54 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
BeaverBob wrote:
SouthernBeaver wrote:
BeaverQuist wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:
Kendall wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the logic here. So, if a player gets drunk and beats up his girlfriend, as long as he does it off field, there should be no penalty or suspension? I can't think of a more serious offense that driving while drunk, especially for a coach. Coaches should be setting examples for their players.

I got to disagree with Bob on this one. If an off-field event reflects on the coaches, players and school and the effect is detrimental or brings negative issues to bear, then the offending party, be it coach or player, should have some type of restriction. However, our system is innocent until proven guilty. To issue a suspension or penalty before his judicial hearing is to presume guilt. If he is found guilty, then the penalty should be severe enough to send a message across the board that this will not be tolerated. If he is not guilty and a penalty had already been issued and enforced, how do you withdraw something that has already been done? The player that flipped off a fan is something that was seen and could be dealt with then and there (The Blout penalty system) The penalty for the alleged DUI, which is not a crime against a person as a Battery or domestic violence is, although a severe offense in my book, should have to wait until a jury of his peers decides his guilt or innocence.
edited by Florida Beaver on 4/18/2011
0 permalink
4/18/2011 11:33:58 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
Florida Beaver wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:

I got to disagree with Bob on this one. If an off-field event reflects on the coaches, players and school and the effect is detrimental or brings negative issues to bear, then the offending party, be it coach or player, should have some type of restriction. However, our system is innocent until proven guilty. To issue a suspension or penalty before his judicial hearing is to presume guilt. If he is found guilty, then the penalty should be severe enough to send a message across the board that this will not be tolerated. If he is not guilty and a penalty had already been issued and enforced, how do you withdraw something that has already been done? The player that flipped off a fan is something that was seen and could be dealt with then and there (The Blout penalty system) The penalty for the alleged DUI, which is not a crime against a person as a Battery or domestic violence is, although a severe offense in my book, should have to wait until a jury of his peers decides his guilt or innocence.

ie, the duke lacrosse rule is in the situation at OSU...
0 permalink
4/19/2011 7:35:37 AM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
Florida Beaver wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:
SouthernBeaver wrote:
BeaverQuist wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:
Kendall wrote:

This was going to be my response verbatim. Good post.
0 permalink
4/19/2011 8:00:01 AM

jdh008
jdh008
This story made Deadspin. National exposure for college baseball!!! I keed, I keed. About the exposure part. It actually did make Deadspin, though.
edited by jdh008 on 4/19/2011

--
TheFanManifesto.com
0 permalink
4/19/2011 1:39:14 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
It's The Talons wrote:
Florida Beaver wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:
SouthernBeaver wrote:
BeaverQuist wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:
Kendall wrote:

This was going to be my response verbatim. Good post.

I agree, it was a good post. Beavers just tend to be smarter than the average graduate

I hate to debate with a fellow Beaver, but..... While I agree with the concept of innocent until proven guilty, I think we need to separate moral from legal issues. Organizations can and should have the ability to establish a code of conduct and morals clause in their employment contract. FB, regaring your comment:

"If an off-field event reflects on the coaches, players and school and the effect is detrimental or brings negative issues to bear, then the offending party, be it coach or player, should have some type of restriction."

Hasn't there already been a detrimental or negative response by the community? What if he is found not quilty for a technial reason? Should this prevent the school from taking action? What kind of example does this set for the players? I'm not saying he should be fired, but we haven't heard much from the school or the head coach.
0 permalink
4/19/2011 8:25:34 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
It's a hard question to answer. On one hand you have the moral high road and on the other, our legal system. I have worked in the state and municipal correctional field for over 20 years. I've seen a LOT of scumbags come through the back door. I've also seen some real crappy arrests made because the alleged "criminal" was arrested for POP (pissing off police) I've got to say, not every person arrested is guilty of their crime. Most are, but not all. If you penalize someone for this type of offense and he is not guilty, how do you take the penalty back? If he pleads out, is found guilty or is arrested for the same offense, I say then you penalize him. On this one, it is not like he is physically threatening another person (ie; demestic violence or armed robbery) and judgement by the school/coach should wait until the judicial system has run it's course. IMO it is the best way to proceed. (BTW, remember the .22 rifle shooting incident? I don't think they served any suspension for that, or if they did it was minimal. And that was a more serious issue, in my book)
0 permalink
4/19/2011 10:35:51 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Florida Beaver wrote:
It's a hard question to answer. On one hand you have the moral high road and on the other, our legal system. I have worked in the state and municipal correctional field for over 20 years. I've seen a LOT of scumbags come through the back door. I've also seen some real crappy arrests made because the alleged "criminal" was arrested for POP (pissing off police) I've got to say, not every person arrested is guilty of their crime. Most are, but not all. If you penalize someone for this type of offense and he is not guilty, how do you take the penalty back? If he pleads out, is found guilty or is arrested for the same offense, I say then you penalize him. On this one, it is not like he is physically threatening another person (ie; demestic violence or armed robbery) and judgement by the school/coach should wait until the judicial system has run it's course. IMO it is the best way to proceed. (BTW, remember the .22 rifle shooting incident? I don't think they served any suspension for that, or if they did it was minimal. And that was a more serious issue, in my book)

FB, you make a good case for your argument. I'm ready to let go and move on. While I can understand your points and agree with some, I'm not sure we will come to complete agreement. I'm ready to move on to the fun stuff: supporting what might be the best team in college baseball -- The OSU Beavers.
0 permalink
4/20/2011 12:05:12 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Agreed. I too picked a Beavers sweep. My big worry is Cole's and Bauer's arm next weekend. Hopefully Cal will wear their arms out and they'll still be rubber when we get there.

GO BEAVS
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Miss State suspends player for flipping off....