Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » TRANSCRIPT: My weekly college baseball chat (link)

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/18/2011 10:54:00 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Here's the link to the 2 p.m., chat. See you all there.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=5499
edited by Kendall on 4/18/2011

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
4/18/2011 12:57:19 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Chatting now, FYI.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
4/19/2011 1:08:33 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Kendall, I know you are impressed with the Beavers of late, and it sounds like you might make another positive change this week if they continue to do to Wazzu what they've done the last two weeks against ASU and Stanford, but let's correct one misperception vis-a-vis that two-game set against Fresno State in February.

We moved the Beavers up one spot, and we're still keeping them behind Fresno State for now. The Bulldogs beat the Beavers twice with their best vs. the Beavers best, so that's our thinking of that order. Right now, it's all about the Beavers find a way to move up. With that said, what they're doing in the absence of some talented players is simply amazing. Coach Casey is doing a phenomenal job this season and i'm intrigued to see if they can keep it up the entire season. Having a guy like Gaviglio starting off the weekend on the mound has been a Godsend for this club.

In the first game, we threw untested freshman Cam Booser in his very first game as a college player. He went 4.2 IP and surrendered 2 ERs to take the loss, 2-1.

In the second game, Josh Osich, not fully recovered from Tommy John surgery, pitched 1.2 innings and gave up 3 runs in a 5-4 loss. Yes, Osich is our Saturday pitcher, but the Bulldogs did not face Gaviglio, Wetzler, or Nygren.

I have no doubt that in a three-game series or even in a regional, Oregon State would take care of Fresno State. Not to say that FSU is an easy opponent; they've been doing very well and deserve the accolades they've received. But they certainly did not face the Beavers' best, and the outcome would almost certainly have turned out differently if they had.

PS: Forgot to mention that the losing "pitcher" in that second game was one of our middle infielders, Ryan Dunn. I haven't looked closely at the FSU pitching staff to see who their hurlers were that weekend, but I'm guessing they didn't throw freshmen and infielders.
edited by Dodger Matt on 4/19/2011
+1 permalink
4/19/2011 3:31:58 PM

BeaverBeliever20
BeaverBeliever20
Yeah, DM, Fresno State I believe threw their ace in game 1 against the Beavers, the Beavers had Cam Booser and he hasn't pitched since late February. Game two Josh Osich made his first start in two years and had a very low strict pitch count. Tom Harlan threw for FSU and he's been one of their better starting pitchers. So I would argue, it was FSU's best for the most part, but it was no where near OSU's best.

I agree, if FSU and the Beavers have a three game series right now, I think OSU takes two of three no matter where it's played. That's no knock on FSU, they're a really good team, but the Beavers I believe are better.
+1 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » TRANSCRIPT: My weekly college baseball chat (link)