Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » CHAT: My weekly chat transcript (4/25)

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/25/2011 11:09:29 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Here you go all....

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=5523
edited by Kendall on 4/25/2011

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
4/25/2011 12:57:12 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
ttt

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
4/26/2011 6:56:37 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt

Comment From Matt
Kendall, what exactly is ISR, how is it factored, and how (if [at] all) do you use it with rankings, projections, etc?

2:51
Matt,
The ISR is Iterative Strength Ratings. And no, it's a made up formula that isn't used by anyone from the NCAA, therefore, we're not going to use it for projections. While the RPI seems to be Southeastern biased, the ISR definitely appears to be more biased to the West Coast. It's not a bad ranking system, just not worth using considering the NCAA doesn't use it.

This question was not from me, first name notwithstanding. Here's how I would have altered your response;

Matt,

The ISR stands for Iterative Strength Ratings. It's a formula devised by Boyd Nation that is used by a lot of statisticians because it is superior to the Rat's Patootie Index. Unfortunately, no one from the NCAA currently uses it in baseball, at least not officially; therefore, we at Perfect Game don't currently use it for our projections of what the NCAA will do. While the RPI is definitely biased in favor of Southeastern teams, the ISR often appears to show West Coast teams more favorably. It's definitely a superior ranking system, as any statistician worth his salt will attest, but considering the fact that the troglodytes in the NCAA don't use it, we have decided that basing projections on true statistical numbers versus what the NCAA uses will not provide projections that are as realistic.
Hopefully one day the NCAA will recognize its error and drop the Rat's Patootie Index and use the ISR instead. Then everyone will be happy, except perhaps for the #9 and #10 teams in the ACC and SEC.

PS: Great name, Matt. And go Beavs!

Anyway, that's how I would have answered. Not that your answer wasn't acceptable.... Just think mine fills in all the blanks this guy probably wanted to know.
+1 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » CHAT: My weekly chat transcript (4/25)