Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » 2011 Team USA Frontrunners

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/26/2011 1:08:22 PM

FLFinest
FLFinest
Now that Team USA is not having try-outs and using a selection process for their representation this summer - Who are your frontrunners to make the team? The committee rarely use draft eligible JR's - so think Top Sophomores and Top Freshmen.
0 permalink
4/26/2011 2:04:07 PM

Puppy Dogs and Ice Cream
Puppy Dogs and Ice Cream
Since I'm mainly familiar with Big12 players, I'll provide my point of view on those that should be considered:

Players to Consider:
Phillips, Dane - OSU - SO (Solid FR campaign FR all american, Even better SO year. Summer in Cape although not great summer)
Naquin, Tyler - TAMU - SO (Huge year so far, Not much to show for in FR and summer league)
Weiss, Erich - UT - FR (About the only player hitting on UT, IMO the favorite for Big12 FR of the year)
Muncy, Max - BU - SO (Solid FR campaign, FR all american, Good SO year, Good summer in the cape)

Pitchers:
Wacha, Michael - SO (Already named to the team)

I kept mainly to SO and FR but I'm sure there are others, I'll update if I think of anybody else.
0 permalink
4/26/2011 2:59:44 PM

E-Dub
E-Dub
Puppy Dogs and Ice Cream wrote:
Since I'm mainly familiar with Big12 players, I'll provide my point of view on those that should be considered:

Players to Consider:
Phillips, Dane - OSU - SO (Solid FR campaign FR all american, Even better SO year. Summer in Cape although not great summer)
Naquin, Tyler - TAMU - SO (Huge year so far, Not much to show for in FR and summer league)
Weiss, Erich - UT - FR (About the only player hitting on UT, IMO the favorite for Big12 FR of the year)
Muncy, Max - BU - SO (Solid FR campaign, FR all american, Good SO year, Good summer in the cape)

Pitchers:
Wacha, Michael - SO (Already named to the team)

I kept mainly to SO and FR but I'm sure there are others, I'll update if I think of anybody else.

Love Wacha and Weiss. Both guys have been consistently excellent. Haven't heard much on Weiss's glove. How good a 3B defender is he?
0 permalink
4/26/2011 9:36:14 PM

Puppy Dogs and Ice Cream
Puppy Dogs and Ice Cream
I haven't seen anything concerning about Weiss' glove however I have only watched him a handful of times. I would say he is a long shot being a freshmen but you never know. I'm not sure where hes playing in the summer but a good summer season and he could set himself up nicely for next year.

I forgot to mention Barrett Barnes out of Texas Tech. Right now he is below .300 avg but has some pretty serious numbers. He is pretty high on the Ks but if he got hot and got his avg up he would be enticing.

Overall, I think most of these players are long shots. One advantage that these players have is the head and assistant coach being from teams that most of them have played (Missouri & Oral Roberts).
0 permalink
4/26/2011 11:54:20 PM

FLFinest
FLFinest
I think the ASUN has a few players that deserve consideration:
*Sophomore - Dan Gulbransen (CF) - Jacksonville University is one of the purest hitters in the country.
He bats .416 on the season and has an OPS of 1.148 - He hits for average and gets on base -
Freshmen All American last year and ASUN Freshmen of the Year - Hit .390+ as a Freshmen
*Sophomore - Adam Brett Walker - Jacksonville University is one of the best "Players" in the country.
He bats .405 on the season and has incredible power to all fields (OPS 1.189)
He is 6'5 - 225 lbs. and runs very well - Has all 5 Tools and versatile defender (1B/OF)
Voted Freshmen All American and Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League "Top Prospect" in 2010
They are arguably the best 3 - 4 hitters of any line-up in the country. What other team has two guys hitting over .400 and batting 3-4?

Other Players I've seen who deserve consideration are:
P - Lex Rutledge (Samford) and OF - Victor Roach (Georgia Southern) and C - Ronnie Freeman (Kennesaw State)
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » 2011 Team USA Frontrunners