Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » BEAVERS: Whom to root for (actually, against)

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/26/2011 10:10:00 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
I know Kendall says Oregon State is nearly a lock for a national seed at this point, provided there is no meltdown, but we are not within the magic eightball of Rat's Patootie Index elitism yet (we're #10), and a quick glance at Boyd's RPI Needs chart says we don't have a shot right now even if we run the table and go 18-0.

I think it highly unlikely that we wouldn't make it with that record, but then again, I don't think it likely that we do go 18-0 the rest of the Pac-10 season. So what's left?

Root for the enemies of our enemies! Here's a quick hit list of the teams most likely to fall out of contention with a few losses and allow OSU to inch upward. (This all presumes a good weekend against UCLA. And Cal. And USC....)
Team to beat              RPI  Record to stay within RPI-8
Arizona State               3  14-4
North Carolina 6 8-6
Georgia Tech 7 12-3
Florida State 8 9-5
Texas A&M 9 14-2
Top one's easy, even though they have the top RPI in this list. If OSU wins the Pac-10, and we don't make the RPI-8 list, the committee will have a hard time giving ASU a national seed with our head-to-head sweep. Nonetheless, a little distance between us and them in the Pac-10 standings will make it easier for the Beav to get the lone Pac-10 national seed.

UNC is gonna be tough, especially since two of the others on the list are in the same conference, and SOMEBODY has to win those games. Best hope: Losses to ECU, Maryland (3), and a sweep by UVA (a virtual lock anyway).

Georgia Tech only needs to lose four, so we're hoping for at least nine: A rare upset sweep by Illinois-Chicago (yeah, I can dream), a sweep by Clemson, and a season-ending sweep by Virginia Tech.

Florida State is probably the easiest of the ACC teams to peel off this list. They have three at Miami, three with Central Florida, three at NC State (who took two of three from UNC), and three with Clemson. Sayonara, Seminoles.

aTm lost tonight in 12 innings to Sam Houston State, so we only need a couple more losses, but we are shooting for at least six. Unfortunately, their schedule doesn't look that tough except for Texas the last weekend of the season. Perhaps, if we're wishing, we can wish for Dallas Baptist (3) and Missouri (3) to deal the death blow before the Aggies roll into Austin.
0 permalink
4/26/2011 11:39:11 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Not to mention (in theory) if ASU isn't allowed to play in the postseason the Beavs (and every team behind ASU) would move up one spot in RPI, other than that; I'd say A&M and GT are the 2 that may slip out though as you said FSU has a tough road ahead
0 permalink
4/27/2011 9:21:27 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Duckies lose to Portland again. UP has UO's number.

Not that Oregon is anywhere near the schools on this list that Oregon State fans should root against for national seed purposes, but it's hard not to root against them, especially when they play another Beaver State school. Too bad the Ducks can't play Portland State....
0 permalink
4/27/2011 10:17:51 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Apparently it is too bad the ducks can't play....................................................anyone?

Oregon Ducks Owned
0 permalink
4/27/2011 11:18:51 PM

BeaverBeliever20
BeaverBeliever20
Dodger Matt wrote:
Duckies lose to Portland again. UP has UO's number.

Not that Oregon is anywhere near the schools on this list that Oregon State fans should root against for national seed purposes, but it's hard not to root against them, especially when they play another Beaver State school. Too bad the Ducks can't play Portland State....

Yeah, another school from the state can beat up on the Ducks. It still kills me how there will articles written about how Oregon "Would be the dominant college baseball team in the state of Oregon for many years to come". Too funny. Total slap to the face of the Beavers and now Oregon State is a frontrunner for a national seed and Oregon is not gonna even make the postseason. I'm thoroughly enjoying the Ducks struggles.
0 permalink
4/29/2011 10:45:30 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Arizona State               Beat Stanford 12-10
North Carolina Idle
Georgia Tech Lost to Clemson 4-2
Florida State Beat Miami 6-5
Texas A&M Lost to Missouri 10-9
0 permalink
4/29/2011 11:10:15 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
That 2 losses down for the bottom 2. Not real sure what's up with UNC. Their last 2 weekends have been horrendous for them. However, these losses are getting us to where we should have already been, so it's very hard to be too sympathetic.
0 permalink
4/30/2011 10:52:37 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Saturday...
Arizona State             Lost to Stanford 6-4
North Carolina Idle
Georgia Tech Beat Clemson 5-1
Florida State Beat Miami 2-0
Texas A&M Lost to Missouri 9-1

Also of note:
Virginia Lost to Boston College 5-4 in 11 innings
0 permalink
5/1/2011 4:39:24 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Sunday...
Arizona State             Beat Stanford 7-1
North Carolina Idle
Georgia Tech Lost to Clemson 3-1
Florida State Lost to Miami 5-1
Texas A&M Beat Missouri 3-2 in 7 innings
We'll see what the ISR/RPI numbers are tomorrow and who thinks OSU should not be a national seed.
0 permalink
5/1/2011 6:00:17 PM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
I think the Beavers are a lock even ahead of Arizona State (thanks in large part to the sweep) as I've said in a previous thread, I think the last 2 National Seeds are gonna look something like this...One of them will go to one of the 3 teams from the ACC, the #2 rated Conf in RPI will get 2 National Seeds, and right now, Florida State is ahead of both Tech and UNC after this wkend, yet Clemson somehow has quietly sorted creeped on the fringes but the final weekend @ Dick Howser will have a lot to say towards that.

As for the 8th and final spot, it's most likely gonna go to the winner of Texas/A&M after that brutal weekend A&M just had. Although A&M with better overall resume, Texas is tied with them in Conf with head to head still to come.

Of course, there's also conference tournies and those could shake out favorably for any of the above teams, but teams on 'fringe' of National Seed discussion hoping for a few hiccups from mentioned teams: Cal St Fullerton, Southern Mississippi.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » BEAVERS: Whom to root for (actually, against)