Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » PG 64: Latest NCAA Projections (ASK Q'S)

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/27/2011 5:34:11 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Here are the latest projections .... leave your questions and I'll respond accordingly. Thanks.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=5553

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
4/27/2011 7:28:44 PM

CWSOmahaGators
CWSOmahaGators
I have a tough time believing the committee would select Stetson to host. I think Stetson would be a #1 seed but traveling. Also if Miami does not host, they will be a #2 seed in the Gainesville regional (per 2009). Third I don't see Georgia traveling out west to be a 2 seed.
0 permalink
4/27/2011 8:04:51 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
CWSOmahaGators wrote:
I have a tough time believing the committee would select Stetson to host. I think Stetson would be a #1 seed but traveling. Also if Miami does not host, they will be a #2 seed in the Gainesville regional (per 2009). Third I don't see Georgia traveling out west to be a 2 seed.

Why wouldn't Georgia travel out west? Stanford shows traveling to Nashville as the #2 seed? Oregon State traveled to Gainesville last year. What is your reasoning for your opinion on that.
0 permalink
4/27/2011 8:20:14 PM

CWSOmahaGators
CWSOmahaGators
Florida Beaver wrote:
CWSOmahaGators wrote:

Why wouldn't Georgia travel out west? Stanford shows traveling to Nashville as the #2 seed? Oregon State traveled to Gainesville last year. What is your reasoning for your opinion on that.

Yeah West Coast teams come out East because there are more regional host sites out east. I don't have a problem with UGA going out west, just traditionally they don't send the higher SEC teams out West. LSU went out west last year but were the 14-16 in the SEC, finishing eighth. Georgia is 4th in the SEC and a pretty solid team at this point. So it is just my opinion that I do not see UGA being sent out west this year. I think a lower seeded SEC team would get sent out West if need be.
0 permalink
4/27/2011 8:53:36 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
CWSOmahaGators wrote:
Florida Beaver wrote:
CWSOmahaGators wrote:

Yeah West Coast teams come out East because there are more regional host sites out east. I don't have a problem with UGA going out west, just traditionally they don't send the higher SEC teams out West. LSU went out west last year but were the 14-16 in the SEC, finishing eighth. Georgia is 4th in the SEC and a pretty solid team at this point. So it is just my opinion that I do not see UGA being sent out west this year. I think a lower seeded SEC team would get sent out West if need be.

Georgia actually has some similarities to LSU last season. The Tigers had a solid RPI last season, Georgia has a solid RPI this season, but also has some flaws. For instance, the Bulldogs are just 4-13 vs. RPI Top 25 teams with an overall record of 22-20. The Bulldogs also are just 17-19 vs. RPI Top 100 teams. That doesn't scream solid resume to me .... but Georgia is a No. 2 seed because of where it sits in the SEC. They get penalized for the other strikes against them by hitting the road.

As for Stetson, why wouldn't Stetson get a host? The Hatters have a facility on par with most of the NCAA Regional hosts (holds around 4K with good press facilities, good seats, etc), and the facility is much much nicer than the one in Conway, S.C., that Coastal Carolina previously has hosted at ....... and I think Miami is familiar enough with Florida at this point. Don't see the committee going down that road yet again.

--
0 permalink
4/28/2011 8:41:10 AM

2legit2quit
2legit2quit
Kendall, If A&M and Texas finish strong... is there anyway both could be national seeds come tourney time?
0 permalink
4/28/2011 10:02:27 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
2legit2quit wrote:
Kendall, If A&M and Texas finish strong... is there anyway both could be national seeds come tourney time?

Definitely could happen .... let's say Texas takes two of three from A&M (A&M would still have a better overall resume more than likely), and A&M responds by dominating the Big 12 tournament. You could see it that way .... I think Texas has to win the A&M series to have a legitimate shot at jumping some teams, though.

--
0 permalink
4/28/2011 10:03:01 AM

rec1347
rec1347
According to the RPI Needs Report on Boyd's World, A&M would need to finish 14-2 for the chance of a national seed while Texas has no chance and would need to finish 10-3 for a top 16. Currently Texas A&M is 9 and Texas is 28.
0 permalink
4/28/2011 11:02:16 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
rec1347 wrote:
According to the RPI Needs Report on Boyd's World, A&M would need to finish 14-2 for the chance of a national seed while Texas has no chance and would need to finish 10-3 for a top 16. Currently Texas A&M is 9 and Texas is 28.

You typically need to be in the top 16-18 to be in the mix for a national seed.... Oklahoma was in the 18-19 range last year and earned a national seed. Anything below that and you're really stretching it unless you just have a fantastic resume beyond the RPI.

--
0 permalink
4/28/2011 1:10:41 PM

airjeffdude
airjeffdude
maybe its just me but why would you put coastal in our bracket after last year? if there is any team other than clemson that wants to be USC its Coastal after the supers. Just curious
0 permalink
4/28/2011 1:44:43 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
airjeffdude wrote:
maybe its just me but why would you put coastal in our bracket after last year? if there is any team other than clemson that wants to be USC its Coastal after the supers. Just curious

NCAA isn't going to put Clemson in your regional, and it isn't going to send TWO in-state teams out of state for travel reasons .... I think you're getting Coastal as long as the Chants aren't a No. 4 seed.

--
0 permalink
4/28/2011 5:58:02 PM

ACC Fan
ACC Fan
Kendall,
How confident are you that Mississippi State will be #2 in Charlottesville? I know you have had that as the match-up for a few weeks. I am thinking that the other team that makes some sense would be the other Bulldogs from the SEC.
edited by ACC Fan on 4/29/2011
0 permalink
4/28/2011 9:02:06 PM

Kendall,
Just wondering where Dallas Baptist sits. I know they are on the outside looking in, but they have beat some really good teams on the road. 2 from TCU, 1 from OU, OK State, Wash st, and Rice. Their hardest part of the schedule is coming down the stretch. If they can reach 39-40 wins on the season could you see them earning a bid? Have you heard of any rumors about them getting into a conference?
0 permalink
4/29/2011 9:19:54 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
ACC Fan wrote:
Kendall,
How confident are you that Mississippi State will be #2 in Charlottesville? I know you have had that as the match-up for a few weeks. I am thinking that the other team that makes some sense would be the other Bulldogs from the SEC.
edited by ACC Fan on 4/29/2011

Right now, when you put teams somewhere, you're just piecing things together. You can basically draw out of a hat which SEC team will go up there, but I don't think it's going to be an SEC team with a strong resume ....and Mississippi State fits that billing.

--
0 permalink
4/29/2011 9:21:33 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Kendall,
Just wondering where Dallas Baptist sits. I know they are on the outside looking in, but they have beat some really good teams on the road. 2 from TCU, 1 from OU, OK State, Wash st, and Rice. Their hardest part of the schedule is coming down the stretch. If they can reach 39-40 wins on the season could you see them earning a bid? Have you heard of any rumors about them getting into a conference?

I had heard a for a long time they were joining the Missouri Valley, but maybe that isn't happening anymore. Anyway, the Patriots pretty much have to win that Texas A&M series to have a snowballs chance of getting in. The Patriots have an RPI of 103 with a 6-3 record vs. RPI Top 50 and 7-8 mark vs. RPI Top 100. Not a terrible resume, but that RPI is a killer right now. No chance they get in with an RPI above 70, IMO.

--
0 permalink
5/1/2011 10:22:41 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Kendall, you list CS Bakersfield in your "Next 10". Are they postseason eligible this year? If not, would you include them with an asterisk if they made your list?
0 permalink
5/1/2011 11:23:11 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Dodger Matt wrote:
Kendall, you list CS Bakersfield in your "Next 10". Are they postseason eligible this year? If not, would you include them with an asterisk if they made your list?

Bakersfield definitely is eligible this year .... first year they're eligible.

--
0 permalink
5/1/2011 12:31:58 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Cool. I hope they get in. BTW, there are "other" college baseball sites out there that list them as ineligible.
0 permalink
5/1/2011 12:33:41 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Dodger Matt wrote:
Cool. I hope they get in. BTW, there are "other" college baseball sites out there that list them as ineligible.

Who is saying that? All I know is Coach Kernen told me multiple times for a story they were eligible this year ..... even made that the premise of a story I did earlier this year.

--
0 permalink
5/1/2011 1:36:43 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
I know this is a desperate call, but is there any chance that Oregon could squeak in the door? They are playing stronger than I have seen them all year, and if they clean up all the upper tier teams- how does it look? Right now they are up 4-0 for the rubber match vs Cal.
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » PG 64: Latest NCAA Projections (ASK Q'S)