Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » PG TOP 25: The latest college baseball ranks (5/9)

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/9/2011 11:18:01 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Here are the latest rankings, where Virginia climbed to No. 1.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=5608

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
5/9/2011 11:20:21 AM

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
UConn in front of Rice?
0 permalink
5/9/2011 11:24:18 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
EaglehasLanded wrote:
UConn in front of Rice?

You are correct.

--
0 permalink
5/9/2011 11:28:43 AM

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Not seeing that. What's your thought process there?
0 permalink
5/9/2011 11:32:59 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
EaglehasLanded wrote:

Well, for starters, Connecticut has been in the rankings the past two weeks. And right now, the Huskies are playing exceptionally well. If the two teams are playing at their highest level (which UCONN is right now), I think the Huskies are a better team overall. Remember, it only was a couple of weekends ago the Owls dropped a series to UAB. Let's see if the Owls can establish some consistency down the stretch.

--
0 permalink
5/9/2011 12:27:03 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Only 2 Pac 10 teams???? I can't believe that Cal, UCLA, and Stanford aren't in the mix. OSU beat a very good Cal team and I noticed that Cal dropped from the top 25 in most polls. Also, UCLA swept Oregon on some great pitching. They probably have the best Fri/Sat starters in the Country.
0 permalink
5/9/2011 12:33:49 PM

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Kendall wrote:
EaglehasLanded wrote:

Well, for starters, Connecticut has been in the rankings the past two weeks. And right now, the Huskies are playing exceptionally well. If the two teams are playing at their highest level (which UCONN is right now), I think the Huskies are a better team overall. Remember, it only was a couple of weekends ago the Owls dropped a series to UAB. Let's see if the Owls can establish some consistency down the stretch.

Well let's take a closer look:
Rice- Rpi: 18 SOS: 26 Record: 32-16 (12-6 in 5th rated conf.) 9-8 vs. Top 50, 19-16 vs. Top 100 (no games played vs. 200+)
UConn- Rpi: 50 SOS: 154 Record: 33-13-1 (17-3 in 13th rated conf.) 1-2 vs. Top 50, 8-5 vs. Top 100 (12 games played vs. 200+ with 11-1 record)

Everything points to Rice being the better team, or at least being the higher ranked team.
0 permalink
5/9/2011 12:36:09 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
EaglehasLanded wrote:
Kendall wrote:
EaglehasLanded wrote:

Rice- Rpi: 18 SOS: 26 Record: 32-16 (12-6 in 5th rated conf.) 9-8 vs. Top 50, 19-16 vs. Top 100 (no games played vs. 200+)
UConn- Rpi: 50 SOS: 154 Record: 33-13-1 (17-3 in 13th rated conf.) 1-2 vs. Top 50, 8-5 vs. Top 100 (12 games played vs. 200+ with 11-1 record)

Everything points to Rice being the better team, or at least being the higher ranked team.

Of course Rice is going to have a better NCAA postseason resume, it's in a much better conference and can benefit in the RPI department even if it loses some games. That's not a fair comparison. That's like comparing Coastal Carolina in previous years from an RPI standpoint to someone like South Carolina. Not really a true measuring stick. That's why you'll see differences between rankings vs. RPI.

--
0 permalink
5/9/2011 12:42:37 PM

borgguy
borgguy
BeaverBob wrote:
Only 2 Pac 10 teams???? I can't believe that Cal, UCLA, and Stanford aren't in the mix. OSU beat a very good Cal team and I noticed that Cal dropped from the top 25 in most polls. Also, UCLA swept Oregon on some great pitching. They probably have the best Fri/Sat starters in the Country.

i would not be surprised to see them in this weeks "on the cusp" feature, although when it is all said and done, im sure all three will be in the tourney, but sweeping the duckies isnt as impressive as it sounds, as they have been struggling lately, dont get me wrong sweeping ANYONE in the pac10 is no easy feat, but the duckies havent been that great lately.

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
5/9/2011 12:46:08 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
BeaverBob wrote:

UCLA was the next team to go into the rankings. Right now, I think you have UCLA, Stanford and California on the cusp. Cal has had some consistency issues over the past few weeks, and that's the main reason it has fallen out of the rankings. UCLA will be an interesting team to watch down the stretch. The Bruins definitely can get back to Omaha if they can get any offensive production at all.

--
0 permalink
5/9/2011 12:52:19 PM

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Kendall wrote:
EaglehasLanded wrote:
Kendall wrote:
EaglehasLanded wrote:

Of course Rice is going to have a better NCAA postseason resume, it's in a much better conference and can benefit in the RPI department even if it loses some games. That's not a fair comparison. That's like comparing Coastal Carolina in previous years from an RPI standpoint to someone like South Carolina. Not really a true measuring stick. That's why you'll see differences between rankings vs. RPI.

But that's my point, perhaps their great run recently was due to playing a lower level of competition and not so much due to their improvement. Of course, the confidence they gain from winning that many games may carry over when you start playing stiffer competition in the post season.
edited by EaglehasLanded on 5/9/2011
0 permalink
5/9/2011 6:42:08 PM

MostUnknown
MostUnknown
Kendall wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:

UCLA was the next team to go into the rankings. Right now, I think you have UCLA, Stanford and California on the cusp. Cal has had some consistency issues over the past few weeks, and that's the main reason it has fallen out of the rankings. UCLA will be an interesting team to watch down the stretch. The Bruins definitely can get back to Omaha if they can get any offensive production at all.

I still don't get Kent State over any of those Pac 10 teams you've listed. And Fresno at 16? That just seems awfully high.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » PG TOP 25: The latest college baseball ranks (5/9)