Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » High School Baseball » Top 50 Rankings

High School Baseball Forum
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
2/25/2011 10:43:18 AM

bcollman
bcollman
Administrator
We have unveiled our Top 10 teams and the Top 50 is going up online as we speak.

Which teams are too high or low?

Who are some teams that deserve to be on the list?
0 permalink
2/25/2011 4:19:02 PM

tgold
tgold
Administrator
For our thoughts on who we had a tough time leaving off check back here tomorrow for our first installment of 3 Up 3 Down as Ben Collman & I each discuss our most difficult decision.
0 permalink
2/26/2011 1:25:48 PM

cedislugger
cedislugger
American Heritage already knocked off your #1 ,11-6 thursday.
0 permalink
2/26/2011 1:45:28 PM

tgold
tgold
Administrator
And thus is born the PG jinx!

I'm surprised but not shocked, as American Heritage has a very good squad. We'll discuss this game a bit in depth in our 3 Up 3 Down coming out this afternoon.
0 permalink
2/28/2011 8:25:36 AM

kmpkulick
kmpkulick
north broward prep domainted american hertiage plantion which beat the number 1 team in country gullvier prep already
0 permalink
2/28/2011 9:01:23 AM

tgold
tgold
Administrator
Heritage is a hard team to figure out thus far. Aside from their huge win over Gulliver they are 1-3. They have a lot of talent, and were ranked 49th in the nation in Baseball America's preseason poll. You can say that this is how it goes in Florida where there is so much talent that good teams beat up on each other, but 2-3 is a disappointing start for a team with so much promise.

On the other hand give credit to North Broward Prep, who moved to 4-1 with the win. Their only loss so far was a 3-2 defeat at the hands of the 14th ranked team in the nation, Archbishop McCarthy. Strong start for the Eagles. It'll be interesting to see if they can keep it up and if American Heritage can bounce back.
edited by tgold on 2/28/2011
0 permalink
2/28/2011 8:00:50 PM

gsabers
gsabers
You have seen McCullers throw multiple times and haven't seen ANYTHING that he's a pitcher? I've seen him throw easy mid 90's with a sharp breaking ball and good feel for a change. How many guys can do that? One bad outing to start his junior season isn't the end of the world.
0 permalink
2/28/2011 8:45:26 PM

redhotnike
redhotnike
I have seen Gulliver Play and they are very impressive. I found out that there #2 pitcher was suppose to pitch to heritage and he was in a cast with a stress fracture. He was the ace on the USA team that won the gold medal. There #1 was 88-91 vs. westminster which has been back to back state champs with the same squad retunring
0 permalink
2/28/2011 8:46:23 PM

redhotnike
redhotnike
Gulliver has four possible first rounders if not out of high def out of U of Miami.
0 permalink
2/28/2011 8:48:31 PM

redhotnike
redhotnike
Anyone can lose a game specially when there coach was in hospital with pneumonia and the pitcher is in a cast. Guys I remember the 1996 Westminster Christian Team that won the National Championship and that team doesnt even compare to this one. Gulliver will be #1 all year if that game didn't hurt them
0 permalink
3/1/2011 10:42:30 AM

LuvHSBB77
LuvHSBB77
Hey guys, just curious, if you had to rank one team from the Northwest and one team from the Upper Midwest (besides the one you have in Illinois), do you know which ones you would consider? Thanks.
0 permalink
3/1/2011 10:45:42 AM

bbguy13
bbguy13
redhotnike wrote:
Gulliver has four possible first rounders if not out of high def out of U of Miami.

And they're all juniors, too! It could be a special next 2 years for that team.
0 permalink
3/2/2011 6:10:40 AM

TravelBallKentucky
TravelBallKentucky
Perfect Game – please note that I saw somewhere on the USA top 50 that you had Louisville St X ranked as high as 28th. I couldn’t even find Lexington Catholic in the top 50? I will give you credit where credit is due, Louisville St. X has a ferocious pitching staff. They will dominate most of the teams they will play even when their pitchers are having off days…they should be that good. However, the jury is still out on their defense and hitting. They just don’t have the position players and hitters that Lexington Catholic has in their lineup.

Lexington Catholic’s pitching staff is no pushover squad – UK Signee Taylor Martin RHP (2011) PG top 1000 ranked 4th by PG in KY draft standings, Tyler Arthur RHP (2011) PG top 500 might be the best kept secret of the year (88-92) ranked 5th by PG in KY, RJ Carroll RHP (2011) PG High Follow mid 80’s guy that wins ball games (11-1) for Catholic over the past 2 seasons. Colton Cleary (2012) LHP No PG ranking but pitched one game at WWBA 2010 – mid to upper 80’s very crafty and makes hitters look foolish. Zach Haynes RHP (2012) PG High Follow– just another in the long list of tall power pitchers, will be upper 80s to 90mph devastating curveball. Member of 2010 third place finishing team at 15U WWBA last year.

Lexington Catholic is full of D1 talent at every position. Outfield – Chase Armstrong (2012) PG High Follow; hits left, decent speed, outfield instincts, accurate arm and serious pop in his bat. Tyler Wells (2011) PG Follow; returning starter. Nick Chafin (2012) PG Follow; KBC 15U No. 3 WWBA team in 2010 and Logan Taylor (2013) PG Follow; 6.7 60, great range and has great bat control, hits for avg. steals bases, was also on the 2010 WWBA 15U 3rd place team.

Catcher – Tyler Jackson (2012) Lefty hitter PG Natl Rank 386- excellent receiver/blocker – great transfer quick release, (catch and throw). Smooth quick swing – hits for average, uses the whole field; several D1 offers pending.

First Baseman – Robert Waller (2012) PG Follow; is a high academic player and solid hitter, Ivy League type player.

Second Baseman – Troy Miller (2011) hits left – Honorable Mention All State 2010, small frame but hits with real pop.

Shortstop – Will Hurt (2012) PG Natl Rank 271 – High Rank PG - Costal Carolina commit, hits, throws, runs with the best.

Third Baseman – Evan Fraliex (2013) PG Rank Top 1000 – Big kid, has great hands, moves very well for his size, hits for average and power. Oh yeah he can pitch too, great command on 4 pitches – mid 80s will be a 90s guy in a year or two. Very physical, typical 3d base guy.

Hopefully the coaches from both teams will be up for the challenge when the schools match up on March 31 by planning for a Matt Spalding (St. X) v. Taylor Martin (LC) battle.
0 permalink
3/2/2011 8:29:57 AM

bcollman
bcollman
Administrator
TravelBall Kentucky,

We are very aware of Lexington Catholic, and have them ranked #2 in the state. If our list would have went to 60 or 75 they would have made the cut. St. Xavier was ranked very highly on the strength of their pitching staff, which could be one of the best in the nation, but I agree there are questions about how many runs they will score.

Catholic also has questions about the youth of their position players, and replacing ace RHP Patrick Maronde (as you mentioned there are a number of candidates).

Whichever team answers these questions will position itself to be ranked very highly in the Top 50. We should learn a lot in their 3/31 head to head matchup.
0 permalink
3/2/2011 8:34:42 AM

theskipper
theskipper
That is a great report.
0 permalink
3/2/2011 8:58:52 AM

bcollman
bcollman
Administrator
LuvHSBB77,

Redmond (WA) came it as #36 and is our top ranked team in the NW. Westview (OR) led by pitchers Sam Johnson and Carson Kelly, were another school that got a lot of consideration. Some other NW schools that have a chance to get into the rankings are Shorewood (WA), Newport (WA), and Beaverton (OR).

As far the Upper Midwest, both Louisville St. Xavier and Cincinnati Moeller made the rankings, although that isn't really Upper MW. Indianapolis Cathedral checked in at #34, and Lawrence Central is another team in that state expected to have a big year. The Chicago-land area has a lot of talented teams this year with St.Rita, Stevenson, Naperville Central getting consideration. Cleveland has a couple of teams that might be considered Ohio's best in St Edward (Lakewood) and Walsh Jesuit (Cuyahoga Falls). Brother Rice, Ann Arbor Pioneer, and Divine Child look to be the top teams in Michigan.
0 permalink
3/7/2011 2:28:43 AM

Power Alley
Power Alley
redhotnike wrote:
Anyone can lose a game specially when there coach was in hospital with pneumonia and the pitcher is in a cast. Guys I remember the 1996 Westminster Christian Team that won the National Championship and that team doesnt even compare to this one. Gulliver will be #1 all year if that game didn't hurt them

You must be on crack to compare this years Gulliver team with that 1996 team from Westminster. They won two national championships and this Gulliver lost in the state championship last year. It is a good team, but not to be mentioned in the same breath as some of the all time great HS teams of the past. They need to win at least a couple of state championships with this squad to be considered with the elite teams.

(LOL,,,Oh wait, now I see why your three posts are so pro Gulliver, you are their coach)
BTW - You have a little ways to go before you can be in the same league with coach Hoffman.
0 permalink
3/7/2011 9:34:26 AM

redhotnike
redhotnike
Power Alley wrote:
redhotnike wrote:

You must be on crack to compare this years Gulliver team with that 1996 team from Westminster. They won two national championships and this Gulliver lost in the state championship last year. It is a good team, but not to be mentioned in the same breath as some of the all time great HS teams of the past. They need to win at least a couple of state championships with this squad to be considered with the elite teams.

(LOL,,,Oh wait, now I see why your three posts are so pro Gulliver, you are their coach)
BTW - You have a little ways to go before you can be in the same league with coach Hoffman.

This is not the baseball coach. I'm actually a football coach. And you are right Gulliver needs to win something first. But the reason I posted this was because the hitting coach for Gulliver is was the 3rd batter for that 1996 Westminster team. And he was explaining to me that he wouldn't be able to hit 3rd on this team. He was explaining that this team has much more fire power at the plate and the same amount of pitching. Again this Gulliver team has not won so you can't compare. Coach Rodriguez will never accomplish what coach Hoffman has done. Coach Hoffman is a Hall of Famer.
Plus coach Rodriguez has had about 10 interview with colleges for next year. If it's not the right one he won't take it. He would love to stay in Florida. He doesn't talk much about it because he doesnt want that to be a distraction, but I dont see him staying here more than 2 years.
0 permalink
3/8/2011 9:37:10 PM

my man
my man
Have you guys ever seen Arlington Country Day they should be in the top 10 teams in the country they have the best high school baseball program i ever seen the play hard and fundamental baseball its a treat to watch them play
0 permalink
3/9/2011 6:56:44 PM

cedislugger
cedislugger
Hey redhot,are you related to anyone on gulliver team,or do you work for La Ley sports?
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » High School Baseball » Top 50 Rankings