Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Rice v Southern Miss

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/17/2011 11:37:53 AM

Eagle04
Eagle04
Kendall, The series this weekend will determine who wins the regular season title and takes the #1 seed in the tournament. What are your deciding factors in the outcome and how do you see the series going? Should be some great baseball and i'm glad its in Hattiesburg.
0 permalink
5/17/2011 11:54:52 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Eagle04 wrote:
Kendall, The series this weekend will determine who wins the regular season title and takes the #1 seed in the tournament. What are your deciding factors in the outcome and how do you see the series going? Should be some great baseball and i'm glad its in Hattiesburg.

Offensive production also is important, but it's going to come down to which teams pitches at a higher level. I watched a couple of the Rice/Memphis games over the weekend and the Owls put a lot of stress on their bullpen. Southern Miss probably has a bit more stability with McInnis/Thomas and Cargill at the back end of the bullpen. I think USM wins the series at home, but would not be surprised at all if Rice wins the series. The Owls are VERY solid when they want to be.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
+1 permalink
5/17/2011 12:04:48 PM

weg313
weg313
I'm not Kendall, but he already gave his take a chat response yesterday. From my perspective, USM has the decided edge being at home, and has a far superior and more consistent offense. Rice is one of the better road teams in the country, and has the superior pitching statistically; especially when you factor in the relatively wide differential in strength of schedule. I also think Rice has the deeper bullpen with Cingrani-Duffey-Gonzales-Wall-Fant. Having said that, USM pitching is above average; particularly with McInnis,Thomas and Cargill. USM is a much more upperclass-laden squad, and that could prove to be a big edge considering the pressure and mental aspects. USM will also be better rested-- not only because they're playing at home; whereas the Owls have to fly to Jackson and then bus to Hattiesburg on Wednesday, but also because USM doesn't play a mid-week, while Rice plays #25 Texas State tonight (before traveling tomorrow). Rice will be taking a big risk tonight by trying to get by with seldom-used, second-tier pitchers (McNair, Spurlin, Fazio), hoping to preserve the bullpen for the upcoming series. Can Rice's true Freshmen (Kubitza, Simms, Hoelscher, Hamilton, Cook, Aquino) step up on the biggest, most pressure-packed stage they've faced yet? That will be the determining factor, IMO.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
+1 permalink
5/17/2011 12:16:10 PM

Eagle04
Eagle04
Thanks for the replies. Its always good to see different perspectives. Ill be in attendance for this series and I believe it will be some excellent baseball.
0 permalink
5/17/2011 12:21:22 PM

weg313
weg313
Kendall wrote:
Eagle04 wrote:

Offensive production also is important, but it's going to come down to which teams pitches at a higher level. I watched a couple of the Rice/Memphis games over the weekend and the Owls put a lot of stress on their bullpen. Southern Miss probably has a bit more stability with McInnis/Thomas and Cargill at the back end of the bullpen. I think USM wins the series at home, but would not be surprised at all if Rice wins the series. The Owls are VERY solid when they want to be.

K, you've repeated this comment about pitching stability a couple times now without backing anything up with evidence. Kubitza has had but one bad outing all season long, and that was the road trip at UAB with year-end academic pressures omnipresent for the true Freshman. McInnis has long been outstanding, but Kubitza has better stats against a tougher SoS. I'll give you Thomas over Reckling, due to Reckling's command issues and inability to go past 5-6 innings, but his BAA is .200...and let's not forget that Thomas has a poor outing this past weekend, as well. And I'll take Simms over Thompson on Sunday. As for the bullpen, as good as Cargill has been, he's just one arm and he's basically a 1-2 inning closer. Rice counters with two elite bullpen arms (RHP Duffey, LHP Cingrani), both of whom can go as long as 3 innings per outing, along with a very reliable guy in LHP Abe Gonzales...and Taylor Wall will be available in relief for the USM series, as well. RHP Jeremy Fant has also contributed consistently the past several weeks, and provides yet another power arm to go along with Duffey and Cingrani. Last weekend vs. Memphis the bullpen was stretched because it had to work 6 innings against ULL during the mid-weeker.

--
0 permalink
5/18/2011 9:19:04 AM

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Cargill pitched 7 2/3 innings earlier this year and started a game in the Auburn regional last year and went 7+ innings. He can throw as long as he needs to. Also Horn and Day have been, for the most part pretty good out of the pen. And I'm not sure if we go with Thompson on Sat. or give Thomason a chance at the start. Thomason has come out of the pen in his last two games and thrown over 7 innings in each. Also, Freshman Boomer Scarborough will be available out of the pen for Southern Miss and he has had 2 1/2 weeks rest. He was our usual mid-week starter this season.
edited by EaglehasLanded on 5/18/2011
+1 permalink
5/20/2011 5:38:18 AM

weg313
weg313
Austin Kubitza deserves C-USA Pitcher of the Year based on across-the-board stats (ERA, WHIP, BAA, K:BB ratio, K's per IP), and is amongst a handful of candidates for Freshman POY. As important as his dominant outing last night, after our mid-week game against Texas State, he was able to preserve the bullpen for the next two games. Cingrani only threw 8 pitches, while Duffey, Gonzales, Wall and Fant are now well-rested and ready to go if and when needed.

--
0 permalink
5/20/2011 12:05:03 PM

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Kubitza had a great game! And the Eagles didn't help themselves much by refusing to swing at his 1st pitch fastball, instead opting to take cuts at his breaking pitches.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Rice v Southern Miss