Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » ACC Coach of the Year

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/23/2011 11:04:01 AM

rcw1126
rcw1126
Evidently, all one has to do is have his team win the conference; despite the fact that they were the hands-down favorite from the season's outset.

My only hope would be...and it'd be very little consolation...that the guy who took an unheralded squad from the point of exclusion from the prior season's conference tournament to the nation's #1 RPI and likely national seed might have finished a strong second in the balloting.

Congratulations to Coach Mike Fox, who deserved to be ACC Coach of the Year.
edited by rcw1126 on 5/23/2011
0 permalink
5/23/2011 1:37:31 PM

GTbaseball
GTbaseball
LOL quit being a homer.

Danny hall did a better job. 6 freshmen starters.. lost 10 players to the MLB from last years team. Still Co-ACC champs and National seed.

Thanks for playing though.
-1 permalink
5/23/2011 6:03:53 PM

ACC Fan
ACC Fan
Well, I'm not sure what poll you were using, but both FSU and Clemson were predicted to finish higher than UVA in the ACC by the sportswriters. People have quickly forgotten that O'Conner lost all kinds of players from last years squad and has played the entire season without their best shortstop, Stephen Bruno, who would be one of the top 5 hitters in the line-up as well.
You might have an argument except that Virginia and South Carolina are the only 2 teams that only lost 1 weekend series in the entire nation.
0 permalink
5/23/2011 6:46:33 PM

rcw1126
rcw1126
Read 'em and weep, guys!

The men who know the teams the best, the conference coaches, predicted the following outcome just prior to the season (The sportswriters are notorious for voting for programs that have had the most success over a long period of time...and Virginia hasn't.):

ACC Preseason Coaches Poll
ATLANTIC DIVISION
TeamPoints
Clemson (8) 68
Florida State (4) 64
NC State 46
Maryland 27
Boston College 26
Wake Forest21

COASTAL DIVISION
TeamPoints
Virginia (9) 69
Georgia Tech (2) 56
Miami (1) 48
North Carolina 40
Virginia Tech 25
Duke 14

Note that Virginia received the most votes, and that Georgia Tech received two 1st place votes. Both were considered stronger than UNC by a material margin.

It's college baseball, GT. Talented Freshmen make major contributions all the time. Why, you and the rest of Tech's fans had already told us all about the stellar class you had coming in since well before the early signing period. We were all poised for great things from the Ramblin' Wreck. Evidently, the coaches agreed.

In our case, we received significant contributions from several Freshmen; not the least of whom was ACC Freshman of the Year, Colin Moran. GT, similarly, you benefited from having the conference's second-best Freshman, Kyle Wren.

Meanwhile, ACC Fan, virtually every team can point to the loss of a player who might have contributed significantly. In our case, it was Brian Goodwin.

NO ONE predicted in the pre-season that UNC would come close to the sort of year the team had. If I'd come on here and suggested it, the two of you would have hooted and hollered...and called me nothing less than a "homer!"

As far as the "homer" part is concerned, I say, thanks for welcoming me to your club, GTFan. It's one that virtually every contributor to this board belongs, including the two of us.

However, I don't take the "homer" reference and the patronizing "thanks for playing" badly. No, siree.

In fact, I'm pulling hard for you or Florida State to get that coveted, possible third national seed from the conference. However, just in case you don't, I'm hopeful that the Atlanta regional winner is matched with the winner of our regional for the Super Regional. It'd be delightful to have you come on up; that is, unless, GT has succumbed to its usual post-season swoon...the result of superior coaching, no doubt.
0 permalink
5/23/2011 8:49:34 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Coach Fox and his staff did a phenomenal job this season, but my vote goes to Danny Hall. To have a team that young competing for a national seed is pretty dang impressive.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
5/23/2011 9:07:32 PM

MClements
MClements
Today Virginia Head Coach Brian O'Connor was announced as the ACC Coach of the Year. Do you feel that Coach Fox should have garnered more votes from the ACC coaches for the job he did this season with this team?
Jacob Stallings: "Well Coach O'Connor is a great coach and obviously their consistency all season has been amazing, but from the year we had last year, Coach [Fox] could have gotten a little more consideration just because we bounced back from not having a great year last year to this year. But, you can't argue with Virginia's head coach as they have had a great year so far." http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1074169.html
edited by MClements on 5/23/2011
0 permalink
5/23/2011 11:15:31 PM

rcw1126
rcw1126
It wouldn't surprise me if Jake Stallings is a successful politician one day. It probably comes as no surprise that I harbor no such aspirations.

I admit that I'm left wondering how "dang impressive" trumps "phenomenal;" but, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.

I also admit that some small fraction of my resistance to naming Danny Hall Coach of the Year is my belief that, year-in-and-year-out, he succeeds in coaxing the least performance from the most talent of any major college coach in America. He and Sully at Florida recruited the best crop of Freshmen to walk on campus this year, people were falling all over themselves in the off season over their prospects; and, now that they've had a good year, he's "dang impressive."

I'll sign off with an uncharacteristically non-homer assertion: Sean Gilmartin deserved to be Pitcher of the Year. Check the stats.
0 permalink
5/24/2011 4:03:14 AM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
I second the thoughts on Gilmartin. He absolutely carried Florida State. They don't have a single other reliable starting pitcher on that squad and they are on the national seed bubble. He's been a machine for them.
0 permalink
5/24/2011 11:48:01 AM

GTbaseball
GTbaseball
rcw1126 wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if Jake Stallings is a successful politician one day. It probably comes as no surprise that I harbor no such aspirations.

I admit that I'm left wondering how "dang impressive" trumps "phenomenal;" but, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.

I also admit that some small fraction of my resistance to naming Danny Hall Coach of the Year is my belief that, year-in-and-year-out, he succeeds in coaxing the least performance from the most talent of any major college coach in America. He and Sully at Florida recruited the best crop of Freshmen to walk on campus this year, people were falling all over themselves in the off season over their prospects; and, now that they've had a good year, he's "dang impressive."

I'll sign off with an uncharacteristically non-homer assertion: Sean Gilmartin deserved to be Pitcher of the Year. Check the stats.

Except that you forgot to mention that our "STUD FRESHMEN" who were drafted didnt produce much this year.

Mott Hyde - 2B (Late rounds) -- Had a solid year.. hit .280
Daniel Palka - DH (9th) -- UP and DOWN year.. hit .292
Deandre Smelter - RHP/OF (15th) -- started the year in LF - Then benched due to performance - ended year relief guy
Matt Grimes - RHP (4th) Midweek starter did a solid job - didnt live up to hype though IMO 4.23 ERA 6-3
Dusty Isaacs - RHP (Late rounds) -- Relief guy this year solid

So thats TWO position players. The rest of our dynamite class was went pro (Jake Skole (OF) 1st - Chevy Clarke (OF) 1st - Alex Lavisky (C) 9th).

Other guys who balled out were the obvious Kyle Wren (.370) didnt get drafted and Zane Evans played solid for us.

So we returned TWO starters from the 2010 team and ONE weekend guy.. Id say Hall had a ACC COTY performance.
0 permalink
6/6/2011 7:44:14 AM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
I think today would be a good time to revisit this thread.

0 permalink
6/6/2011 9:02:23 AM

GTbaseball
GTbaseball
Get off your high horse bro. Name a team who lost 9 players to the draft and 1 to arm trouble, comes back the next year with 6 freshmen in the starting lineup and hosts?

Ill sit and wait, while you have no response to that. Its called good coaching. But once again, post season rolls around and the curse hits again.
-1 permalink
6/6/2011 9:06:12 AM

Wahoo2012
Wahoo2012
yes i do as both the Heels and Cavs destroyed their regionals...Still have to go with Oconnor with all the talent that he lost last year though...also you guys get top recruits all the time. Virginia is not in the top ten so hes done more with less great recruits
0 permalink
6/6/2011 10:15:42 AM

rcw1126
rcw1126
Wahoo2012 wrote:
yes i do as both the Heels and Cavs destroyed their regionals...Still have to go with Oconnor with all the talent that he lost last year though...also you guys get top recruits all the time. Virginia is not in the top ten so hes done more with less great recruits

The funny thing is that I've heard several commentators mention Mike Fox's name as a potential National Coach of the Year; but not Brian O'Connor's. Wouldn't that be something?

As much as I think that Coach Fox ought to be in that mix, it'd be hard to overlook the tremendous job Scott Stricklin has done at Kent State.

Congratulations to the Wahoos on a fantastic season; one that's far from finished...as expected.

;-)
edited by rcw1126 on 6/6/2011
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » ACC Coach of the Year