Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » SEC Post Season Awards

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/23/2011 11:58:37 AM

lsuchamps11
lsuchamps11
Who does everyone think wins the Player of Year, Pticher of Year, Coach of Year and Freshamn of Year in the SEC this year. Mine are Mikie Mahtook(LSU), Player of Year, Hudson Randall(UF) or Sonny Gray(VANDY), Pitcher of Year, Ray Tanner(USC), Coach of Year, and Kevin Gausmann(LSU) or Karsten Whitson(UF) for Freshman of Year. These were hard to pick since there were some great players and pitchers in the SEC this year.
edited by lsuchamps11 on 5/23/2011
edited by lsuchamps11 on 5/23/2011
+1 permalink
5/23/2011 8:36:10 PM

Player of the year is a clear two horse race between Mahtook and Mike Zunino of Florida. Mahtook has an edge in the statistical category because of his significantly higher number of walks and stolen bases. The two are practically dead even in the hitting and slugging categories. I'm not sure how valuable Zunino is defensively as I don't regularly follow Florida but I'm sure he is important being their catcher. I don't know how anyone could surpass Mahtook defensively, however. He seems to make at least one highlight catch per game. Furthermore, I think the majority of the SEC would classify Mahtook as an overall more talented player than Zunino. It seems that if Zunino wins it, it will be strictly based off of the fact that his team were co-league champions while LSU did not even make the SEC tournament. My vote goes to Mahtook but it will be interesting to see who they give it to.

As far as pitcher of the year goes, wow. There are a plethora of worthy candidates. Michael Roth from South Carolina went 10-3 with a 1.28 ERA. D. J. Baxendale from Arkansas went 8-2 with 3 saves and a 1.62 ERA. Sonny Gray from Vanderbilt went 9-3 with a 2.17 ERA. Grayson Garvin from Vanderbilt went 11-1 with a 2.32 ERA. Jonathan Smart from Alabama finished 4-2 with 9 saves and a 2.34 ERA. Hudson Randall from Florida finished 8-3 with a 2.45 ERA and fellow Gator, freshman Karsten Whitson, went 7-0 with a 2.47 ERA. All 7 of these guys would have a strong case in most years but the pitching was just ridiculous in the SEC this season. It's hard to go against Roth and that sparkling ERA, Baxendale was extremely valuable in multiple roles for Arkansas, and Garvin had the best record of the bunch, but I'm going to choose Sonny Gray as the SEC Pitcher of the Year. When you take a closer look at the statistics, he is just nasty, posting a .193 BAA and averaging over 10 K's/9 inn. Garvin had the 2nd best BAA at .216 while Roth and Baxendale were at .224 and .227, respectively, and none of the other seven candidates compiled even 9 K's/9 inn. Sure, Gray walked some batters at times which is the only reason his stats aren't even better but he is without a doubt the most unhittable pitcher in the SEC. Just as Mahtook is the hitter that you "don't want to face", Sonny Gray is by far the pitcher that you "don't want to face". That is enough for me.

Karsten Whitson is easily the Freshman of the Year. Kevin Gausman from LSU is close behind in terms of talent and pitched admirably as the team's ace while Whitson has the luxury of being his team's Sunday starter but Whitson's stats dwarf Gausman's and he played on a much better team as well.

I don't care about Coach of the Year because it always just goes to the coach of the best team which is stupid. My two personal choices would be Tim Corbin from Vanderbilt or John Cohen from Mississippi State. Those are the two hardest athletic programs in the SEC to win at in anything. Cohen deserves a lot of credit for getting the Bulldogs back to the postseason but I will go with Corbin. What he has done during his tenure at Vanderbilt is nothing short of remarkable and it's time he starts getting some attention as possible the premier coach in college baseball. I love Ray Tanner as well and he did a great job of backing up the national championship with a great campaign despite some adversity along the way. Kevin O'Sullivan from Florida also deserves some mention for transforming that program into the powerhouse that it should have already been.

Summary:
Player of the Year - Mikie Mahtook, LSU
Pitcher of the Year - Sonny Gray, Vanderbilt
Freshman of the Year - Karsten Whitson, Florida
Coach of the Year - Tim Corbin, Vanderbilt
+1 permalink
5/24/2011 6:02:09 PM

Stork
Stork
I agree that Corbin has done a great job at Vandy. However, he needs to have some postseason success with the teams he has had. They need to make it to Omaha soon.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » SEC Post Season Awards