Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Inspiring Story on Ex-Oregon State Pitcher

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/24/2011 1:20:49 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Years after disabling spinal injury, an ex-Oregon State pitcher learns to stand

“Rob Summers, an ex-OSU Baseball pitcher made headlines as the first such spinal injury patient to stand and regain purposeful movement with the help of an electrical stimulator. Summers was a sophomore at Oregon State University, working on a business major and playing baseball, when a hit-and-run accident on a Portland street left him unable to use his legs.”

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2011/05/post_48.html

"Pat Casey got some good news late Thursday night when he found out that former Oregon State pitcher Rob Summers -- who threw in one game in 2006 -- stood for the first time since being paralyzed in a car accident in 2006.

“I was so happy I almost cried,” Casey said. “He texted me and said, ‘I’ve been battling just like you used to talk about …’ I sent him back a text and said, ‘Man, you’re my inspiration.’ It’s just so unbelievable.

“It really puts everything in perspective. Obviously you’re excited about a game on Friday and all the sudden you get that information … it really helped put me at ease.”
edited by BeaverBob on 5/24/2011
0 permalink
5/26/2011 11:48:36 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
I remember reading about this injury when it happened. Glad to see Rob is fighting and making progress.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Inspiring Story on Ex-Oregon State Pitcher