Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » The ACC is a complete and utter joke

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/28/2011 12:00:35 AM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
They have Wake and UNC wait around for a first pitch at 12:10 am with yet more rain on the radar but they start the game anyway. We get to the top of the 7th, UNC up 5-0 (and Patrick Johnson throwing a no-hitter) when the rains start again. At that point, the morons running the show decide to suspend the game...but not to Saturday....to Sunday....IF NEEDED.

That's right....if Miami loses tomorrow and UNC beats UVA, UNC would then have to show up on Sunday morning before the championship and play a Wake team whose season is over for 3 innings in order to finish that game and then advance to play in the championship. Oh, and UVA would have to stay around as well because if Wake were to pull off the comeback in that 3 inning thriller, then Virginia would be in the championship.

Kendall, how about an interview with the ACC officials where somebody grills them about what the hades they are thinking.
0 permalink
5/28/2011 12:43:30 AM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
LOL...now they changed their plans yet again and they've "added" the resumption in the middle of the schedule tomorrow in addition to the already reschedule game between GT and FSU. So, we're going to see 4 full games and 3 innings of a 5th on the same field today. UNC will have to get to the park at 2 to take BP, stretch, warm up an arm, play 3 innings and then sit in the stands for 4 hours waiting to play UVA.

If this weren't so ridiculous, it would be comical.
0 permalink
5/28/2011 12:43:53 AM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
H2O...totally and 100% agree. If they're gonna finish the game, just have it played at 9:00am, then 30 mins after completion, have the FSU/GT game then the reg scheduled Sat games, just have 30 mins in between games.
0 permalink
5/28/2011 9:52:47 AM

rcw1126
rcw1126
What else can you expect when the tournament, itself, has been reduced to little more than a post-season exhibition tournament sandwiched in between the parts of the season that really mean something? Two pools and a single-elimination "championship" game...and to think that they call the winner of it the "Conference Champion."

Frankly, it's an insult to the regular season champion, even though the regular season has been marred by the conference's ludicrous insistence that baseball divide itself in the same way that football does.

So what happens? One division's winner finishes with the 5th best record (despite the fact that they didn't have to play the conference's 2nd-place finisher), and they're awarded the second seed in the "championship" tournament! As this topic's heading goes, "What a complete and utter joke."

Please return some sanity to the end of the season:
1.Scrap the needless exhibition tournament.
2. Eliminate football's divisions for baseball.
3. Allow each team to play every other conference team in a weekend series during the regular season.

In the process, the conference would restore credibility to the "champion" designation and put each teams' most representative résumé in front of the NCAA Selection Committee.
edited by rcw1126 on 5/28/2011
+1 permalink
5/28/2011 10:21:06 AM

ctup4golf
ctup4golf
I agree the tournament needs to be scrapped for a real seeded event, but your analysis that both UVA and NC would have to wait around would be incorrect. If Miami beats Wake, UVA has the tiebreaker on both UNC and Miami if all finish 2-1 and would go to title game. Only way UNC gets in is for Wake to beat the Canes
0 permalink
5/28/2011 10:36:38 AM

rcw1126
rcw1126
ctup4golf wrote:
I agree the tournament needs to be scrapped for a real seeded event, but your analysis that both UVA and NC would have to wait around would be incorrect. If Miami beats Wake, UVA has the tiebreaker on both UNC and Miami if all finish 2-1 and would go to title game. Only way UNC gets in is for Wake to beat the Canes

The update in H2O's second post eliminates any waiting, regardless of the outcome of the Wake-Miami game. I'm sure he recognized that.

Where did I write anything about replacing the current tournament with a "seeded event?" With the NCAA Selection Committee taking multiple teams from the conference on a regular basis, a post-season tournament makes no sense (except as a money-maker, if it is that). Play a full conference schedule of weekend series during the regular season and restore credibility to the résumé the Selection Committee sees.
0 permalink
5/28/2011 11:07:33 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
rcw1126 wrote:
What else can you expect when the tournament, itself, has been reduced to little more than a post-season exhibition tournament sandwiched in between the parts of the season that really mean something? Two pools and a single-elimination "championship" game...and to think that they call the winner of it the "Conference Champion."

Frankly, it's an insult to the regular season champion, even though the regular season has been marred by the conference's ludicrous insistence that baseball divide itself in the same way that football does.

So what happens? One division's winner finishes with the 5th best record (despite the fact that they didn't have to play the conference's 2nd-place finisher), and they're awarded the second seed in the "championship" tournament! As this topic's heading goes, "What a complete and utter joke."

Please return some sanity to the end of the season:
1.Scrap the needless exhibition tournament.
2. Eliminate football's divisions.
3. Allow each team to play every other conference team in a weekend series during the regular season.

In the process, the conference would restore credibility to the "champion" designation and put each teams' most representative résumé in front of the NCAA Selection Committee.

RCW, amen. I don't know if you are an ACC fan, but I love the passion, and I'm from the same school (of thought, that is). That's why I hope the Pac-12 does not institute a stupid conference tournament when Utah joins next year.
0 permalink
5/28/2011 11:31:02 AM

rcw1126
rcw1126
Thanks very much, Matt. I'm a UNC fan, an ACC fan, and a college baseball fan. A resident of Northern California, I try to attend as many local college games as I can.

We can only hope that the PAC-12 has seen enough of the foolishness represented by other conferences' post-season tournaments and chooses to stay the course.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » The ACC is a complete and utter joke