Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Do conference tournaments suck?

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/28/2011 11:55:32 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Some ACC fans on this board have expressed their dissatisfaction with theirs. I have disparaged them in the past, pointing to particularly odious examples where the better team (regular season champion by far) was upended by a hot 7 or 8 seed and sat home while the sub-.500 8 seed went a quick and embarrassing 0-2 in the postseason. I am happy the Pac-10 does not have one and hoping they do not go to one when the list of teams in baseball expands next year. But are there any conference tournaments that "work"? People point to the SEC as perhaps the only example. But to me it means more games played internally, when they could be playing more OOC games and mix it up a bit more interregionally.

So, if this were a Rivals POLL, it would look like this:

Do conference tournaments suck?

1. Yes, they totally suck. We should eliminate them all and only take conference regular season champions for all autobids for the postseason.
2. Yes, they suck, but a couple of conference tournaments do not suck totally, and they're fun.
3. No, they don't suck, but-- Oh look! A squirrel!
0 permalink
5/28/2011 1:35:20 PM

Lute31
Lute31
I am not a huge fan of the conference tournaments that are round-robin style. Make it a true tournament and not just an excuse to put 8-10 teams in one place to make more money. Bringing teams in for another weekend of guaranteed games just doesn't make sense to me, but nobody from any conference has asked my opinion.

I love the way the MWC did their tournament and New Mexico, who had a terrible season, got the auto-bid but the main thing is that they earned it by winning the tourney.
On the other side, I am not a big fan of a crappy team, like New Mexico, going to a regional to get their butts kicked. I guess I don't really know which side of the fence I am on...
0 permalink
5/28/2011 1:35:58 PM

Lute31
Lute31
Oops, I will go with answer #2.
0 permalink
5/28/2011 2:45:26 PM

MostUnknown
MostUnknown
Of course they suck. UGA is proving that as we speak. Get hot and win. And then we're stuck with a .500 team probably getting in to the tournament over a team that has played better all year. I thank god every day for the lack of one in the PAC.
edited by MostUnknown on 5/28/2011
0 permalink
5/28/2011 5:10:36 PM

eagleboy415
eagleboy415
Without a conference tournament, Fresno wouldn't have a national championship.
0 permalink
5/28/2011 6:04:07 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
eagleboy415 wrote:

So...you are in favor of conference tournaments? Should I put you down for #3?
0 permalink
5/28/2011 6:11:57 PM

MostUnknown
MostUnknown
eagleboy415 wrote:

Fresno was a great story, no question. But let me ask this. Can you honestly say they were the best team that year? They wouldn't have even made the tournament. All a conference tournament does is say "Screw the rest of the season" and bumps more deserving teams who might have been on the bubble out of it.
0 permalink
5/28/2011 8:12:25 PM

Natty Champs
Natty Champs
Some benefit (Ga, Fresno St a few years back) Some go home early and rest (SC last year) Like or dislike, at least its more baseball for us, the fans, to watch ; )
0 permalink
5/28/2011 9:30:24 PM

Fremde
Fremde
Fresno State is the reason why conference tournament champions should continue to receive automatic bids to the NCAA tournament.

Yes, Fresno had the best TEAM that postseason, but not the best TALENT. And that is the point. They lost their star pitcher earlier that year, and demonstrated late in the season what it meant for everyone on a team to play its best together. Fresno proved that the best TEAM does not need to be a national seed, a regional host site, in a power conference, or staffed with all-star talent.

One doesn't need to be a Fresno State fan to acknowledge that the Fresno State story that year produced one of the best college baseball postseasons in history. That could not have happened without the WAC tournament winner that year receiving an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.
0 permalink
5/28/2011 11:24:31 PM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
...also couldn't have happened without a lot of rolled bats....
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Do conference tournaments suck?