Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » HOSTS: NCAA throws curveball on one site

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/29/2011 2:53:34 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Posts: 7490
Here are the NCAA Regional hosts with some commentary.....Enjoy.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=5744

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
5/29/2011 3:18:09 PM

1whoknows
1whoknows
Posts: 62
In this article you are calling UCLA the PAC 10 champions.

Isn't that statement a bit premature?
0 permalink
5/29/2011 3:24:34 PM

jakebaseball
jakebaseball
Posts: 5
Lets say they wanted to keep one out west...Fresno State has a better record, better RPI, better attendance #s, and better facilties.......but congrats to UCLA for being "awarded" a regional. $$
0 permalink
5/29/2011 3:26:28 PM

1whoknows
1whoknows
Posts: 62
I feel sorry for any teams that have to face UCLA. They will carve up any teams from the east w/ their pitching.
0 permalink
5/29/2011 3:29:54 PM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
Posts: 127
Aren't they tied for the Pac-10 lead coming into today? If they beat ASU and Oregon State beats Oregon, they will be seen as Co-Champions (I know Ore St would get the auto-bid) but this is the committee giving the Top 3 teams in Pac-10 hosts sites and the West has 4 sites in total. Now which site does Fresno go to as a #2? LA, Fullerton or Corvallis?
0 permalink
5/29/2011 3:35:41 PM

GR
GR
Posts: 12
1whoknows wrote:
I feel sorry for any teams that have to face UCLA. They will carve up any teams from the east w/ their pitching.


That's some kind of stupid statement. The West coast sucked this year. The East coast dominated this year and that is evident through records. The committee has been on a run the last couple of years of trying to balance the regionals by geography and they took that to the next level this year. 8 sites east of the Mississippi and 8 sites west.

Btw, the southeast posted a 27-10 record versus the West coast.
0 permalink
5/29/2011 3:42:33 PM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
Posts: 127
Can we not start the East v West or more specifically, the SEast vs West arguments again? Isn't it getting old already?
0 permalink
5/29/2011 3:45:31 PM

1whoknows
1whoknows
Posts: 62
E v W or SE v W.....doesn't matter.

All that matters is who's hot at the end and I think it will be a PAC 10 team.
0 permalink
5/29/2011 4:21:07 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Posts: 7490
jakebaseball wrote:
Lets say they wanted to keep one out west...Fresno State has a better record, better RPI, better attendance #s, and better faciilties.......but congrats to UCLA for being "awarded" a regional. $$


I think you have a legit point, but the big issue for Fresno is that it didn't play a very tough schedule. For instance, entering last week, the Bulldogs had only played 16 games against Top 100 RPI teams. That's not very good. My guess is the NCAA put much more weight on the Pac-10 champ winning the league.

On a side note, perhaps the easier accessibility to L.A. played a part, too. There's no question that has played a part in hosting decision in the past.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
5/29/2011 4:23:32 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Posts: 7490
NolesFanJosh wrote:
Aren't they tied for the Pac-10 lead coming into today? If they beat ASU and Oregon State beats Oregon, they will be seen as Co-Champions (I know Ore St would get the auto-bid) but this is the committee giving the Top 3 teams in Pac-10 hosts sites and the West has 4 sites in total. Now which site does Fresno go to as a #2? LA, Fullerton or Corvallis?


Fresno State to Corvallis makes a lot of sense, but I'm wondering if Southern Miss goes to either UCLA or Corvallis as a 1 seed. I think Arkansas is more likely to do that at this point.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
5/29/2011 4:40:52 PM

Fremde
Fremde
Posts: 4
Too much time and teeth gnashing is spent on debating regional hosts. It seems like there's at least one team that advances over the regional host every year. Many years, there are several. Expect this year to be no different. There will be some very good 2 seeds in this tournament, and I'm looking forward to following the matchups.
0 permalink
5/29/2011 4:53:21 PM

Line Drive
Line Drive
Posts: 13
Bummer for Fresno State..thought they'd done enough to host but the CSU Bakersfield series probably did them in..Seeing Oregon State falter down the stretch like they've done and still host after being swept by Fresno State leaves one wondering what the committee uses as criteria..whatever. Should be interesting where teams end up Monday..
0 permalink
5/29/2011 4:55:29 PM

Tommy Salami
Tommy Salami
Posts: 35
1whoknows wrote:
I feel sorry for any teams that have to face UCLA. They will carve up any teams from the east w/ their pitching.



You mean like they carved up SC last year? haha
0 permalink
5/29/2011 5:00:07 PM

Line Drive
Line Drive
Posts: 13
Agreed Fremde..
Look back no further to the 2008 season..play the best ball in the regional..and you will move on. The same goes for the Supers and the World Series. It is nice to reward teams though for a solid season of play...
0 permalink
5/29/2011 5:19:32 PM

cmk4pres
cmk4pres
Posts: 51
Becausee last year really matters right now...

--
The University of Texas @ Omaha
0 permalink
5/29/2011 5:29:33 PM

1whoknows
1whoknows
Posts: 62
You got it right. Last year means nothing. Today means nothing. It all starts over next weekend.
0 permalink
5/29/2011 6:20:42 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Posts: 2083
Line Drive wrote:
Bummer for Fresno State..thought they'd done enough to host but the CSU Bakersfield series probably did them in..Seeing Oregon State falter down the stretch like they've done and still host after being swept by Fresno State leaves one wondering what the committee uses as criteria..whatever. Should be interesting where teams end up Monday..
Send Fresno to Corvallis. The Beavers would welcome playing them again.
0 permalink
5/29/2011 7:59:53 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Posts: 990
Kendall wrote:
NolesFanJosh wrote:
Aren't they tied for the Pac-10 lead coming into today? If they beat ASU and Oregon State beats Oregon, they will be seen as Co-Champions (I know Ore St would get the auto-bid) but this is the committee giving the Top 3 teams in Pac-10 hosts sites and the West has 4 sites in total. Now which site does Fresno go to as a #2? LA, Fullerton or Corvallis?


Fresno State to Corvallis makes a lot of sense, but I'm wondering if Southern Miss goes to either UCLA or Corvallis as a 1 seed. I think Arkansas is more likely to do that at this point.


Do you think the committee would send a 1 seed out west even though So Miss and others have bigger facilities than UCLA/OSU. The only reason I can see that happening is if the announced the host sites prematurely and both teams losses make the committee 2nd guess their choices...what do you think Kendall?
0 permalink
5/29/2011 8:22:25 PM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
Posts: 127
I think Oregon State would and should be in the discussion for a #1 Seed...I'm not so sure that UCLA will be the #1 Seed in their own region so I think that would be the one that a team for the East will get send out to as a #1.
0 permalink
5/29/2011 9:18:15 PM

Line Drive
Line Drive
Posts: 13
Line Drive wrote:
Dodger Matt wrote:
Line Drive wrote:
Bummer for Fresno State..thought they'd done enough to host but the CSU Bakersfield series probably did them in..Seeing Oregon State falter down the stretch like they've done and still host after being swept by Fresno State leaves one wondering what the committee uses as criteria..whatever. Should be interesting where teams end up Monday..
Send Fresno to Corvallis. The Beavers would welcome playing them again.


I bet...I'm sure Oregon State would just love Fresno State in their regional....
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » HOSTS: NCAA throws curveball on one site





Powered by AspNetForum 6.9.9.0 © 2006-2010 Jitbit Software