Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Toughest Regional?

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/30/2011 2:34:33 PM

tcu_lusch
tcu_lusch
What are everyone's thoughts on the toughest regional this year.

My vote would probably be Fort Worth (though I'm biased):
TCU, Oklahoma, Dallas Baptist, and Oral Roberts

TCU and Oklahoma are both good teams....Oklahoma was in the hosting discussion at several points this season and have given the Frogs fits over the past few seasons.

DBU has a tough #1 pitcher, they beat TCU and Oklahoma already this season and they also took games from TAMU, Rice, and Oklahoma State this season.

Oral Roberts is a solid #4 seed as well...they typically play TCU tough (lost 4-6 this season) and took weekend games from Arizona State and Baylor this season and lost 2-1 to Texas on the road.

I think UCLA is also a tough regional...I wouldn't be shocked if any of the top three seeds in that one end up winning it, though UCLA certainly has the advantage pitching wise.
edited by tcu_lusch on 5/30/2011
0 permalink
5/30/2011 3:33:07 PM

jdh008
jdh008
I think UCLA is the most obvious choice. Given that they got to host by the skin of their teeth largely because the NCAA needed another west coast host site, I think it makes sense that it's tough.

I would also nominate Gainesville. Florida gets rewarded for its national seed by being given arguably the toughest 2 seed in the entire tournament in Miami and a 3 seed in Jacksonville that has a chance to make some noise led by Adam Brett Walker.

--
TheFanManifesto.com
0 permalink
5/30/2011 4:49:17 PM

greenie55
greenie55
I think the Clemson regional is going to be a tough one. Don't sleep on Coastal. They had a bit of a snakebitten season...never really got on a roll. I think they are battle tested from last year and a strong non-conf schedule....they could certainly get on a roll. Also Connecticut - Barnes will be a tough matchup. Should be a good one!
0 permalink
5/30/2011 5:25:33 PM

Fremde
Fremde
The UCLA regional is the toughest. Fresno State, UC Irvine, and USF can all do some damage. Don't think UCLA's first game against USF will be a gimme. It could be, but remember that Cole gave up 5 earned runs at home earlier this month against Cal State Bakersfield (a good team).
0 permalink
5/30/2011 6:20:46 PM

Line Drive
Line Drive
UCLA will have its hands full. Irvine split with them and is very solid. USF is no pushover. Fresno State has great pitching depth and Gonzalez is one of the nations best Starters as well at 11-0..and that team can hit. G
oing to be a good regional.
0 permalink
5/30/2011 6:54:43 PM

MostUnknown
MostUnknown
Fremde wrote:
The UCLA regional is the toughest. Fresno State, UC Irvine, and USF can all do some damage. Don't think UCLA's first game against USF will be a gimme. It could be, but remember that Cole gave up 5 earned runs at home earlier this month against Cal State Bakersfield (a good team).

He also had a 4 hit, 11 K complete game shutout against them(SF) once already. And they'll still have the nations best pitcher for Game 2 with the Fresno/Irvine winner(A game where both will probably spend there best pitcher). Which if it plays out well, sets UCLA up pretty solid for whoever they get in a third game with arguably one of the better freshman in the country throwing. It's either Fresno or UCLA's regional to win.
edited by MostUnknown on 5/30/2011
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Toughest Regional?