Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Some thoughts on the committee and the SEC

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/31/2011 1:07:56 AM

ccox11
ccox11
Well, the selection committee made it clear today that it has no respect for conference prestige at all. The SEC received 3 national seeds, 1 #2 seed, and 3 #3 seeds. In other words, the committee feels that the SEC has 3 of the top 8 teams in the country, 1 team ranked between 17-32, 3 teams ranked between 33-48, and 5 teams ranked outside of the top 48. I personally feel that 10 of the 12 SEC teams (excluding Kentucky and Tennessee) are at minimum among the top 40 teams in the country and have the ability on the field to merit playing in the NCAA tournament. Apparently the committee doesn't feel the same way. Arkansas, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi State, Auburn, LSU, and Ole Miss probably all feel like they deserved better than what the committee gave them (I realize that Auburn was ineligble, please do not respond and tell me so). It seems as though the committee is only focused on how you perform within your conference now. I find it funny when people say "if you have a losing record in your conference, you don't deserve to be in." If you have a 12 team conference with 10 NCAA tournament worthy teams, 3 of whom are among the best teams in the country, how are all 10 teams supposed to have a winning record? It's impossible. It's simple mathematics. I also find it funny when people say "if you don't make your conference tournament, you don't deserve to be in." Once again, when you have 10 NCAA tournament teams and there only 8 sports in the conference tournament, 2 are going to not make it. That is pretty obvious. So if the SEC expanded the tournament field to 10 or 12 teams, those 2 teams would then become worthy of making the NCAA tournament all of a sudden? I am not saying that these two measures should not be factored into the equation. It just seems as if they were the only two measures used this year.

Furthermore, the committee made it painfully clear that they have absolutely no concern for what a team does at home in their non-conference schedule. Apparently you could play the New York Yankees 26 times at home and go 26-0 and it would not matter. The chairman so much as stated that if your conference resume doesn't merit inclusion in their eyes, non-conference road games are the ONLY other way to prove one's self. This is evidenced by LSU's resume. LSU had literally as close to a NCAA tournament worthy conference resume as possible at 13-17 since I believe that no 14-16 SEC team has ever not made the NCAA tournament. This is a list of our non-conference opponents: Cal St. Fullerton (3)(regional host), Southern Miss (1, @ neutral site) (#2 seed), Southeastern Louisiana (1), Tulane (2, 1 on the road), UL-Lafayette (1), and Wake Forest (3) (7th place in the ACC at 15-15). That is a minimum of 11 games against quality opponents. We went 10-1 against that slate. We went 23-3 overall in the non-conference. Apparently, despite being 1-2 conference wins away from being a "lock", that is not a good enough to show the committee that we were worthy of receiving a bid. The committe proved their point. Nothing you do at home in the non-conference matters. Apparently what matters is getting swallowed up by Alex Box Stadium and looking like a little league team for three games. For that, the committee will award you a host site. For the team that dismantled them, no bid. Losing on the road is more important than winning at home. That is the message.

So, what should the SEC do in the future to earn the appropriate amount of berths to the NCAA tournament if the league is going to get no more respect than any other league and no home non-conference games mean anything? The obvious answer is for each team to have a brutal schedule those first four weekends. It's not that easy, though. At least two of those series would have to be on the road you would assume (which I guess they would need to be since no home games means anything). It is that easy for virtually all other teams in the country. They don't make enough money from home games for it to matter. From an LSU perspective, however, it is fiscally irresponsible to play road games. We make too much money off of home games. Losing an additional six home games a year would result in a loss of a significant amount of the revenue making up our program's budget. I honestly don't know what the answer is. The NCAA has made it an agenda to expand baseball geographically and they are willing to treat the SEC unfairly in doing so, 10 out of 12 teams mathematically can not produce a conference resume good enough to merit postseason inclusion on its own, and the NCAA no longer values home games while several SEC teams can not afford to play additional road games. It seems that the only way to gain fair treatment under the NCAA's current mindset is to sacrafice money to play road games which would eventually reduce the quality of the league anyway, possibly making the league not have a situation where 10 of the 12 teams are tournament worthy, therefore negating the entire argument. The times of conference strength being rewarded are over. I guess there's going to be a lot of disappointed SEC teams in the upcoming years.
edited by ccox11 on 5/31/2011
0 permalink
5/31/2011 3:38:07 AM

basscat3
basscat3
Geez Dude stop crying!!!!! Lsu or
ol Miss did not deserve to be in the big show!!!!!
0 permalink
5/31/2011 4:59:24 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Seems to me that the selection committee used ALL available input (not JUST SEC/ACC favored RPI) to make selections and the SEC is given a level playing field and you don't like it? For years and years you have been shown favoritism and FINALLY when someone goes, "Holy crapola, there are other conferences as good or better. Maybe we should start including them too" and you throw a hissy fit. Get over yourself and realize what the rest of the country has known for years. You are only the SEC. You are not the only conference. You are not the only championship worthy conference. You are just ANOTHER conference, not THE conference. Freakin whining crybaby.
0 permalink
5/31/2011 6:25:33 AM

cdog8
cdog8
Why don't we just let LSU play all of their games at home as well as anyone else who can draw a big crowd. Then the other teams who play all their games on the road can wither and die. I think the NCAA should mandate that each team must play 50% of their games on the road in any 3 year period. To allow the big money schools to bully everyone else is a bunch of hooey! Fiscal responsibility = big ass ego!
0 permalink
5/31/2011 6:37:42 AM

cmk4pres
cmk4pres
Why is it always $EC fans that cry?

Here is what lsu needed to do to get in....

WIN MORE GAMES
PLAY MORE ROAD GAMES

Other then the top 3 it wasn't a very good year in the conference so finishing 9TH is brutal.

--
The University of Texas @ Omaha
0 permalink
5/31/2011 8:03:24 AM

Seriously, you're complaining about a team that NEVER left the state of LA to play a non conference game this year and finished ninth in the conference! I respect the LSU program, but you have to schedule better. Both who and where you play do matter! We just spent big bucks as well to remodel our stadium, although not to the extent you guys did, and we actually went across country to play the first weekend of the season.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Some thoughts on the committee and the SEC