Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » ASU got hosed big time

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
6/12/2011 6:32:16 PM

jdh008
jdh008
ASU has a runner on first and one out. The runner on first takes off for second on a 3-2 count. The pitch is ball 4. The runner should take first and the lead runner is ENTITLED to second. However, the umpire calls interference on the batter in the box.

So, in other words, catchers should always try to draw interference even when the runner heading to second can't be thrown out. ASU got punished for the UT catcher throwing down when he didn't need to. Unbelievable.

--
TheFanManifesto.com
0 permalink
6/12/2011 7:43:09 PM

Wahoo2012
Wahoo2012
Horrible call cant believe it was made at this level
0 permalink
6/12/2011 8:57:03 PM

cmk4pres
cmk4pres
Hook em. 34 and counting....

--
The University of Texas @ Omaha
0 permalink
6/12/2011 10:08:01 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
jdh008 wrote:
ASU has a runner on first and one out. The runner on first takes off for second on a 3-2 count. The pitch is ball 4. The runner should take first and the lead runner is ENTITLED to second. However, the umpire calls interference on the batter in the box.

So, in other words, catchers should always try to draw interference even when the runner heading to second can't be thrown out. ASU got punished for the UT catcher throwing down when he didn't need to. Unbelievable.

That was a horrendous call. Funny times after the game. Garrido seemed perplexed at the call (But obviously glad), while Esmay said he wouldn't answer questions about it with a smirk on his face.

I have a feeling those videos will be reviewed in the offseason. Brutal.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
6/12/2011 10:40:52 PM

shoelessT
shoelessT
I am shocked that they did not get it right after thinking about it for a second. That was really bad. Like worst ever.
0 permalink
6/13/2011 6:34:32 AM

sigsky
sigsky
jdh008 wrote:

I like to monitor umpire's performance just for my own interest. So who was the home plate umpire or which game was it and I'll look it up. Thanks
0 permalink
6/13/2011 7:08:56 AM

cmk4pres
cmk4pres
FYI, by rule, if batter interference is called, the batter must be called out.

Its a poorly written rule, but thats the rule.

--
The University of Texas @ Omaha
0 permalink
6/13/2011 7:18:57 AM

Lute31
Lute31
cmk4pres wrote:
FYI, by rule, if batter interference is called, the batter must be called out.

Its a poorly written rule, but thats the rule.

I agree that the rule is poorly written but where was the interference? There was no contact at all and it wasn't very close to contact on either end.
0 permalink
6/13/2011 8:50:17 AM

rcw1126
rcw1126
More evidence that the pinheads are overtaking our society: When the spirit of a rule is completely set aside to enforce a rule in a nonsensical context.

[To be said very officiously] "Rule 7-11-f must be enforced, despite the fact that there was absolutely no play involved."

Thanks to the pinheads arguing nonsense, every walked batter from now on will be waiting to advance to first until he knows whether the catcher is going to be a dumb** and throw the ball to second. Beautiful.
0 permalink
6/13/2011 9:12:31 AM

shoelessT
shoelessT
It is a poorly written rule but if it is ball 4 then there is no chance for batter interference because the runner stealing 2nd is not "live." He could not have been thrown out. Interference was a horrible call there. That is not even the rule. Poorly written or not, thats not the rule.
0 permalink
6/13/2011 11:58:24 AM

ASU74
ASU74
I was at the game and even the UT fans around me were embarrassed by the interference call and the phantom balk call. They will take the win home with them, but they wished the players would have decided the outcome of the game and not umpires.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuQOpomBWXo

UT Fans:
They really get behind their team, but they also exemplified Texas Hospitality by inviting Sun Devils to their GGGREAT tail gate. Thank you.
edited by ASU74 on 6/13/2011

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » ASU got hosed big time