Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Greatest Coaches Ever

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
6/15/2011 8:24:41 PM

shoelessT
shoelessT
Thought it would be fun to put together a list of the top 10 greatest coaches (managers...whatever) in college baseball history. Not in order but here is some off the top of my head. Add or subtract with your opinions. Try and limit the homerism!

Augie Garrido- Fullerton, Texas
Rod Dedeaux- USC
Gene Stephensen- Wichita St
Ron Fraser- Miami
Skip Bertman- LSU
Mark Marquess- Stanford
Jim Morris- Miami
Cliff Gustafson- Texas
Jim Brock- Arizona St
Andy Lopez- Pepperdine, Florida, Arizona

I don't know about Lopez. Was just trying to go off the top of my head. I am sure I am leaving some guys out. Also, the big question is do you have to have a championship? Certainly Mike Martin would be considered as would Ron Polk. Just a fun list.
0 permalink
6/16/2011 6:32:55 PM

cmk4pres
cmk4pres
Augie then everyone else. 5 Titles at 2 different schools over 4 different decades...

--
The University of Texas @ Omaha
0 permalink
6/16/2011 6:56:59 PM

Kenny Powers
Kenny Powers
Homerism aside I think most people would agree that this conversation begins and ends with Augie Garrido (and the ones who don't agree are flat wrong)

Augie belongs on the short list of the best coaches in the history of college athletics, not just Baseball.

And not necessarily for what he's done at Texas, but the fact that he built a little known commuter school into a national power (winning 3 Titles) and he's carried that success from Fullerton to Texas.

There's none better.
0 permalink
6/16/2011 8:34:53 PM

The Ghost of Dan Canevari
The Ghost of Dan Canevari
Jim Morris????... You are better off putting Ron Fraser down twice.... The guy never made it to Omaha until he inherited everything that Ron built
0 permalink
6/16/2011 9:09:46 PM

shoelessT
shoelessT
The Ghost of Dan Canevari wrote:
Jim Morris????... You are better off putting Ron Fraser down twice.... The guy never made it to Omaha until he inherited everything that Ron built

Are you kidding? Jim Morris has to be on the list. He has 2 national championships, has over 1200 wins, and has been to Omaha regularly at Miami. He took over in what? 1994? He won titles in 1999 and 2001. Of course Ron Fraser built the program but that doesn't downplay what Morris has done. A top 10 list without Jim Morris would be a joke.
0 permalink
6/17/2011 3:46:23 PM

Tommy Salami
Tommy Salami
If SC wins another title this year I think Ray Tanner cracks this list assuming he stays at SC for a while longer and keeps up this success. He has brought SC up to a whole new level consistently. SC has now been the winningest program in the SEC since 2000 both overall and in conference play with 9 supers and 5 CWS during that span. Another title this year and I think Tanner definitely deserves some consideration, probably already does anyway.
0 permalink
6/17/2011 6:32:17 PM

1whoknows
1whoknows
You have to put Pat Casey on the list. 2006 and 2007. Enough said.

I coached against him in 4 games back in the late 90's. I have never seen such focus and determination.
0 permalink
6/18/2011 4:03:42 PM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
Wayne Graham
0 permalink
6/19/2011 11:10:17 PM

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
Great list Shoeless and I don't know that I could say any single one is better than the other, every single one you have listed is exceptional.Being a South Carolina fan and going way back to 1975, Cliff's teams in the 70s and 80s were absolute hell to contend with.1466-377-2 is a record that will be tough to beat as a individual coach.Marquess, Dedeaux, Stephenson's teams from the 80s, and Bertman inventing 'gorilla ball" in the 90s all have had a huge impact on the game. My favorite is Augie though and I have a feeling that Ray Tanner will be on this list before it's over. Sorry to be such a homer but I believe Ray's 5 trips to Omaha since 2002 will come to fruition soon.

--
Baseball is like church....many attend but few understand.
0 permalink
6/20/2011 9:15:29 AM

shoelessT
shoelessT
Carolina Mike wrote:
Great list Shoeless and I don't know that I could say any single one is better than the other, every single one you have listed is exceptional.Being a South Carolina fan and going way back to 1975, Cliff's teams in the 70s and 80s were absolute hell to contend with.1466-377-2 is a record that will be tough to beat as a individual coach.Marquess, Dedeaux, Stephenson's teams from the 80s, and Bertman inventing 'gorilla ball" in the 90s all have had a huge impact on the game. My favorite is Augie though and I have a feeling that Ray Tanner will be on this list before it's over. Sorry to be such a homer but I believe Ray's 5 trips to Omaha since 2002 will come to fruition soon.

I think Ray Tanner could be on that list very soon.
0 permalink
6/20/2011 7:17:52 PM

jdh008
jdh008
Assuming that UNC plays at level even close to what they are playing now for the next decade or so and they finally get a national title, Mike Fox could find himself on that list. What they have done in the last 5-6 years is very impressive.

--
TheFanManifesto.com
0 permalink
6/22/2011 12:38:43 PM

FullertonBaseballFan
FullertonBaseballFan
Jerry Kindall - three national titles at Arizona

Bobby Winkles - three national titles at ASU
0 permalink
6/22/2011 12:42:24 PM

FullertonBaseballFan
FullertonBaseballFan
Here are the coaches currently in the College H.O.F. There will obviously be others added along the way.

Name University Year Inducted Skip Bertman Louisiana State 2006 Rod Dedeaux Southern California 2006 Ron Fraser Miami 2006 Cliff Gustafson Texas 2006 Bobby Winkles Arizona State 2006 Chuck Brayton Washington State 2007 Jim Brock Arizona State 2007 Bibb Falk Texas 2007 Jerry Kindall Arizona 2007 Dick Siebert Minnesota 2007 Bob Todd Ohio State 2008 Gary Ward Oklahoma State, New Mexico State 2008 Gordie Gillespie University of St. Francis 2009 Ron Polk Georgia Southern, Mississippi State, Georgia 2009 Bob Bennett Fresno State 2010 Wally Kincaid Cerritos College 2010
0 permalink
6/26/2011 8:40:10 AM

weg313
weg313
shoelessT wrote:
Thought it would be fun to put together a list of the top 10 greatest coaches (managers...whatever) in college baseball history. Not in order but here is some off the top of my head. Add or subtract with your opinions. Try and limit the homerism!

Augie Garrido- Fullerton, Texas
Rod Dedeaux- USC
Gene Stephensen- Wichita St
Ron Fraser- Miami
Skip Bertman- LSU
Mark Marquess- Stanford
Jim Morris- Miami
Cliff Gustafson- Texas
Jim Brock- Arizona St
Andy Lopez- Pepperdine, Florida, Arizona

I don't know about Lopez. Was just trying to go off the top of my head. I am sure I am leaving some guys out. Also, the big question is do you have to have a championship? Certainly Mike Martin would be considered as would Ron Polk. Just a fun list.

Hard to question anyone on your list, but I do think Wayne Graham (Rice) deserves to be included on this list, and not just because I'm a Rice homer. Unlike many of the names you mentioned, Coach Graham took a small, private school (the second smallest enrollment in D-I), burdened with elite academic requirements (even for athletes), with no prior history of success in college baseball, and in the matter of 3 - 4 seasons turned it into a perennial national power. In his 20 seasons at Rice, Graham has led the Owls to 17 post season appearances (they had none previously), including their current streak of 16 consecutive conference championships...7 CWS appearances...and one national championship. Again, all the other guys you listed are deserving, but only a couple of those guys (Augie, Stephenson) built a program from scratch at schools with no prior baseball history and meager athletic budgets (and neither of those schools-- CSF, Wichita State-- provide academic hurdles for their student-athletes).

Also, though it was not accomplished at the D-I level, let's not forget that Coach Graham won five national JUCO championships at San Jacinto (which included the tutelage of the young Roger Clemens and Andy Petitte) before finally getting the opportunity at Rice.
edited by weg313 on 6/26/2011

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Greatest Coaches Ever