Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » EIGHT FOR OMAHA: The eight for 2012 (7/6)

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
7/6/2011 1:30:16 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Here's our inside look at the eight teams we think will be in Omaha next June, and why.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=5977

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
7/6/2011 4:22:36 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Wow Kendall. Already backing the Cardinal. Last year didn't turn out as well as you predicted. I say this year will be no different. Sorry but it's just my take. OSU will be in the mix in Omaha, not the 'ferd.
0 permalink
7/6/2011 6:18:27 AM

weg313
weg313
Florida Beaver, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Stanford finished this season just as virtually everyone predicted in the preseason-- amongst the top 8 - 12 teamsin the country, and return just about everyone save for Pries and Reed from the pitching staff. Based on returning, proven talent, most would agree that the Cardinal and Florida should be favorites entering the 2012 season.

K, as the my Owls, strange that you made no mention at all of Rathjen, who will very likely return and who should be our cleanup hitter in 2012. Rice will probably bring back everyone save for Rendon, Cingrani and Gonzales from a very young team that overachieved due to a rash of crippling injuries this past season that forced a multitude of first time players into action.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
+1 permalink
7/6/2011 7:10:14 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
weg313 wrote:
Florida Beaver, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Stanford finished this season just as virtually everyone predicted in the preseason-- amongst the top 8 - 12 teamsin the country, and return just about everyone save for Pries and Reed from the pitching staff. Based on returning, proven talent, most would agree that the Cardinal and Florida should be favorites entering the 2012 season.

K, as the my Owls, strange that you made no mention at all of Rathjen, who will very likely return and who should be our cleanup hitter in 2012. Rice will probably bring back everyone save for Rendon, Cingrani and Gonzales from a very young team that overachieved due to a rash of crippling injuries this past season that forced a multitude of first time players into action.

WG,
I had Jeremy's name written down ... finished that thing at 3 a.m., so forgot to include him. That's been fixed. Should be an interesting 2012 for Rice. I'm interested to see if David leaving makes any impact at all.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
7/6/2011 7:35:44 AM

weg313
weg313
Kendall wrote:
weg313 wrote:

WG,
I had Jeremy's name written down ... finished that thing at 3 a.m., so forgot to include him. That's been fixed. Should be an interesting 2012 for Rice. I'm interested to see if David leaving makes any impact at all.

K, as oustanding a coach as Pierce was and is, I think his impact will be far less than the loss of other key assistant coaches. Why, you might ask? Well, though Pierce was responsible for working with the pitchers, the reality is that Wayne Graham has always been the pitching guru for the Owls. He is the one who has identified the mechanical flaws (e.g., Bryce Cox, Bryan Price, Tyler Duffey, Tony Cingrani) and suggested fixes to the delivery; the pitching coach's primary job at Rice is to carry out Coach Graham's instructions and to oversee the day-to-day bullpens.

BTW, your writeup on the Owls simply mentions Tyler Duffey as just another returning pitcher, without pointing out that he was one of the most effective-- and dominant-- relief pitchers in the country the second half of this past season. As I'vve mentioned before, I don't think anyone in the country returns the proven pitching depth that Rice does; especially if Reckling and Wall return, as expected. Even if you presume that McDowell will start the season in the bullpen (as he regains his arm strength and command after TJS), you've got Kubitza, Simms, Reckling, Wall, Connor Mason (the 3rd of the new generation Big 3 who sat out last season after surgery) and Brad Kottman (Soph transfer from Brown who sat out last season, but who pitched very effectively in Fall Ball and again this Summer) competing for weekend spot-- with four of those guys having weekend rotation experience, and an experienced bullpen anchored by Duffey and Chargois, but also including the losers in the starting spot sweepstakes, along with experienced guys such as McNair, Fant, Spurlin, McDowell and Fazio. And that doesn't even factor in three incoming Freshman studs (Stephens, Lemond, Williamson). The Owls pitching staff will be loaded with both experienced, proven talent, as well as 6+ power arms who boast low-to-mid 90s velocity.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » EIGHT FOR OMAHA: The eight for 2012 (7/6)