Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » High School Baseball » PG Rating Grades

High School Baseball Forum
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
8/16/2011 10:39:28 AM

username
username
When will the PG Grades be posted for the recent Showcases - Ohio Valley, NE Underslass, etc.?
Thanks
0 permalink
8/17/2011 10:12:38 AM

tgold
tgold
Administrator
All reports and grades from showcases are posted within 4 weeks of the events. Possibly sooner.

There will be a post on the What's Happening section of the front page letting everyone know when new reports are posted.
0 permalink
8/18/2011 8:42:16 PM

Raymond
Raymond
When will National Reports be out?
0 permalink
9/5/2011 6:30:35 PM

Dg2210
Dg2210
How does a kid get the same grade, when he basically improves in every category....faster 60 time and arm strength goes from 77 to 86....last year kid was graded 8 and this year 8. Can someone explain?
0 permalink
9/5/2011 7:57:06 PM

CCARROLL
CCARROLL
how can you see your own grade?
0 permalink
9/9/2011 3:30:02 PM

William1992
William1992
Its been almost 4 weeks for the Southeast Underclass and Southeast Top.
0 permalink
9/27/2011 4:06:44 PM

theskipper
theskipper
How does a kid get the same grade, when he basically improves in every category....faster 60 time and arm strength goes from 77 to 86....last year kid was graded 8 and this year 8. Can someone explain?

Dg2210
I've always understood that the grades are based on potential rather than current ability. Therefore, it is understandable that a player graded an 8 should be better from one year to the next. However, it does seem like 77 to 86 might be a bit higher jump than what was projected the first time. I suggest you email staff@perfectgame.org and explain your thoughts. They are good about taking a second look if you have a good point.
0 permalink
10/1/2011 11:49:32 AM

McBulldog
McBulldog
theskipper wrote:

Dg2210
I've always understood that the grades are based on potential rather than current ability. Therefore, it is understandable that a player graded an 8 should be better from one year to the next. However, it does seem like 77 to 86 might be a bit higher jump than what was projected the first time. I suggest you email staff@perfectgame.org and explain your thoughts. They are good about taking a second look if you have a good point.

My son (class of '13) attended his first showcase this fall. I know some of the players who attended as my son has played with or against them for years. The grades received by a few players were not what I thought they would receive. That said, I'm just a Dad who knows a little something about baseball. I trust that Perfect Game knows a ton more than me or any other armchair baseball expert/Dad. I know players who have played circles around other players for years and those players earned, in some cases, a full 2 points higher in their score. I do not understand why but a showcase is a showcase. I like PG, trust PG, and believe they do an excellent job.

For those coming to a showcase for the first time, as my son did this fall, I have some suggestions.

1- Do not play a football game half a state away and get home at 1 am and then get up and drive 2 1/2 hr.s for a 8 am showcase. LOL!

2- Accuracy evidently is not considered much in the grading process. I couldn't understand why most of the players throws were way, way, way, off the target. They almost all threw the ball so hard, I'm sure they were on the verge of a hernia. There are players who never threw one single accurate throw but yet scored very high. I believe PG is more interested in a player's velocity than they are on accuracy. My son learned a valuable lesson and will take note at the spring showcase.

3- Pitching is the same as above! All pitching is evaluated during the games. A pitcher can not walk a batter, after 4 balls the pitcher is "SUPPOSE" to throw nothing but fastballs. I saw players throwing as hard as they possibly could and throwing an additional 8 - 10 balls after the first 4 balls. Since they were throwing in the mid to upper 80's ... I guess it did not matter ... as a couple pitchers I saw still scored pretty well with their overall grade. Again, it's the velocity and not really the result that I believe PG is looking for. Again a lesson learned before next spring.

4- Do not be shy. If I or my son had it over, we would have asked a lot more questions going in to the event. The PG staff is very much available and more than happy to answer any questions.

In summary, my son is not upset with his score but does believe it should have been higher. I certainly hope that next spring, if he runs a faster 60 and throws 10 mph faster, his PG score would go up. If it did not, I would contact PG and see if there might be a fix available. Work hard, play hard!
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » High School Baseball » PG Rating Grades