Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Upswing programs: Who are they? (1.17)

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
1/18/2012 1:07:19 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Here's our inside look at 10 programs on the upswing going into 2012:

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=6475

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
1/18/2012 7:41:35 AM

weg313
weg313
K, not sure how in the world Arizona gets on an "up and coming" listing of programs. Sure, they had a couple down years, but so too did Stanford several years back. And while I gave great respect for the development of the Texas State program, I'd be hard pressed to put them ahead of Sam Houston State or Dallas Baptist as programs on the upswing.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
1/18/2012 10:38:49 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Walt,
Not necessarily up and coming, just teams on the upswing from last year to this year .... those programs listed certainly meet that equation.

You bring up a good team in Sam Houston State. I think Coach Pierce will do a good job there, but Texas State just continues to establish consistency and honestly could have a SR team with the right draw. The Bobcats were only a win or two away from accomplishing that goal last season.

As for Dallas Baptist, I'd be a little surprised if they had a better campaign this year than it did last season. With that said, I'm very interested to see how long Dan Heefner can stay at DBU. He has to be a hot commodity, as he's a fabulous head coach, and hitting coach. Though, I've heard from sources he has no intention of leaving DBU at any point .. loves it there.

BTW .. spoke to a couple of head coaches that absolutely love Rice's team this year. I like this team a lot, too. If the Owls hit as expected, they're going to be pretty nasty.

--
0 permalink
1/18/2012 4:34:13 PM

weg313
weg313
K, with regards to the Owls, this is the most optimistic preseason we have been in quite some time. The 2009 squad had a great returning offense, but we lacked pitching depth and sufferred through too many injuries....and still made it to the LSU Supers (being jipped out of a national seed). This year's team boasts the best and deepest pitching staff we have had since the Big 3 left in 2004. We're so loaded that John Simms will likely join Tyler Duffey and JT Chargois in the back of the bullpen, and Taylor Wall may move from weekend starter to the Abe Gonzales/Bobby Bramhall jack-of-all-trades bullpen role. Barring injury, the offense and defense should be vastly improved, given the year of experience by Hamilton and Hoelscher. Fuda, Rathjen, Ratterree and Manuel are all proven hitters...and Ryan Lewis had an exceptional Fall at 1B (returning to the form he flashed as a Freshman in '09). Can't wait for Opening Day.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
1/18/2012 4:50:50 PM

FLFinest
FLFinest
Can't leave out an up and coming Jacksonville University. They have two of the best hitters in the country and bring in a very talented pitching staff for this 2012 season. Although JU is not a team that brings in your usual Top Tier Known Talents - they find a way to win. Thier pitching coach (Tim Montez) does an excellent job of getting his guys ready for a season. He coached (Garza - Fister - and Lee) in college and knows a thing or two about pitching in the big games. Offensively JU has hit with everyone - (ask FSU and Florida about JU's hitting?) - This is the year JU takes that next step ------------SUPER REGIONALS and we might not be the best team in our own conference (Stetson - ASUN) - Be on the look out for: Dan Gulbransen-OF; Adam Brett Walker-1B/OF; Jonathon Murphy-OF (15 OF assist); Chris Anderson-P (former Cubs draftee); Steve Egerton-P (only undefeated pitcher w/9+wins); and other up and coming prospects within the JU program.
0 permalink
1/20/2012 2:39:24 PM

ucfalum08
ucfalum08
Kendall,

Any thoughts on UCF"s pitching? I expect the hitting to be strong again despite a couple big losses, but in order to take the next step we will need better and more consistent pitching.
0 permalink
1/20/2012 11:24:03 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
FLFinest wrote:
Can't leave out an up and coming Jacksonville University. They have two of the best hitters in the country and bring in a very talented pitching staff for this 2012 season. Although JU is not a team that brings in your usual Top Tier Known Talents - they find a way to win. Thier pitching coach (Tim Montez) does an excellent job of getting his guys ready for a season. He coached (Garza - Fister - and Lee) in college and knows a thing or two about pitching in the big games. Offensively JU has hit with everyone - (ask FSU and Florida about JU's hitting?) - This is the year JU takes that next step ------------SUPER REGIONALS and we might not be the best team in our own conference (Stetson - ASUN) - Be on the look out for: Dan Gulbransen-OF; Adam Brett Walker-1B/OF; Jonathon Murphy-OF (15 OF assist); Chris Anderson-P (former Cubs draftee); Steve Egerton-P (only undefeated pitcher w/9+wins); and other up and coming prospects within the JU program.

JU is a very good program to put on the list. As a matter of fact, the Dolphins were the last team out on this last. I'm not sure the Dolphins will be much better than last season, but we'll see. As you said, they'll certainly have the key crop of sticks to help lead the way.

--
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Upswing programs: Who are they? (1.17)