Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Draft Insider Forum » Aaron West, RHP, Washington

Insider-based subscribers can receive updates and reports from the PG staff on some of the top draft-eligible players from across the nation.
| you must log in at the top of the page to post
2/23/2012 7:56:18 AM

pebert
pebert
Administrator
I caught up with some recordings I had from over the weekend, particularly the Washington/San Diego State matchup from last Friday. I was pleased to catch RHP Aaron West of Washington, who we ranked as the No. 1 prospect in the Far West League last summer. Those reports had West working in the low-90s, peaking around 95, with a slider that tops out in the mid-80s.

I like the way West pitches, as he commands the strike zone really well and pitches to contact. That approach doesn't serve him as well at the college level, when a lot of pitchers are taught to pitch away from contact, and because of that I could see West enjoying more success at the next level. It took him a while to find the feel for his breaking ball, labelled a slider, but it has some downer curveball action to it. It could stand to be tightened up, and he also threw a handful of solid changeups that he throws with the same arm action/speed as his fastball.

He has a very good pickoff move, and does a nice job dictating the tempo of the game, really slowing down with a lot of moves to first base with runners on base. He's one of those pitchers that can lull undisciplined hitters to sleep by how long it takes him to deliver a pitch, and got the Aztecs swinging a lot on the first pitch almost seemingly because of this.

West has good, not great size with a medium, athletic build. His delivery is balanced and he repeats it well, and he appears to do a good job throwing downhill. He started the game leaving the ball up, as it was easy to see why he gives up so many base hits, but did a better job getting his pitches down in the zone as the game progressed.
0 permalink
| you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » Draft Insider Forum » Aaron West, RHP, Washington