Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » What was the weekend's biggest surprise?

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
2/27/2011 4:00:07 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
I'm going to go with San Jose State over UCLA ... wow, that's a shocker.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
2/27/2011 6:44:33 PM

RoundingThirdStaff
RoundingThirdStaff
The first three I would consider Pleasant Surprises...

San Jose State was a pleasant surprise...good to see the Spartan Program compete after getting hosed in the regional selection two years ago...They have good talent...Let's hope they can keep it up.

Fullerton is a great team no doubt...so it comes as a pleasant surprise that they take two from TCU after so many predicted the opposite.

And Cal is on a mission... what a very pleasant surprise...They sweep their opponents and look outstanding...Each win makes their AD look like a buffoon.

Big surprises are Coastal Carolina's Lost weekend...Irvines football scores, Wazzu playing a double header in 13 degree weather and seeing on Gametracker that Michigan was playing The New York Mets.
edited by RoundingThirdStaff on 2/27/2011
0 permalink
2/27/2011 8:17:51 PM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
As I said in a previous post, it's San Jose State in a landslide.

Fullerton can't be considered TOO much of a surprise given that they ARE a Top 15 team and didn't face Purke.

I am desperately pulling for Cal to actually win the Pac-10/get to Omaha. It'd be a big ol' 'eff you' to the AD and the rest of the idiots who were a part of this decision.
+1 permalink
2/27/2011 10:18:00 PM

eagleboy415
eagleboy415
I'm sure many here may not think it was, but I was shocked that USM lost 2/3 at Troy. I just feel that we should have won at least 2/3. Didn't see it happening the other way. But Troy has a good team.
0 permalink
2/28/2011 7:18:49 AM

PalmettoBBFan
PalmettoBBFan
Coastal getting Kicked.
0 permalink
2/28/2011 11:18:20 AM

Stork
Stork
Coastal's performance really shocked me. They got drilled
0 permalink
2/28/2011 11:18:51 AM

Nuke LaLoosh
Nuke LaLoosh
Coastal losing the weekend surprised me, but the way in which we lost really shocked me. Getting smacked like that is not something we have become accustomed to seeing in Conway. The 17-0 loss to Cal is the worst since 2002 I believe, and the whole team just looks "off" right now. Fortunately we have plenty of time left to make some hay, but these tournaments are huge RPI boosts for us at the end of the year, and another weekend like this and our chances of being a #1 are going to take a serious hit.

That being said, the UCLA series really blew me away. Losing 2 of 3 at home with your regular weekend guys is a little different than losing tournament games when your rotation isn't always set the same way and when guy's routines can be a little off. Savage is a solid coach though, so I have no doubt this is just a bump in the road. Still, clearly the biggest surprise of the weekend for me.
0 permalink
2/28/2011 11:20:36 AM

Stork
Stork
Does Coastal seem to be lacking from their new players not playing as well as thought or are the returning players not performing as they did last year.....or both?
0 permalink
2/28/2011 12:02:43 PM

Nuke LaLoosh
Nuke LaLoosh
I think its a combination of both. Some of it, to be honest is just baseball. Their run last year was unprecedented, and going undefeated and winning 55 games is hard to do regardless of the conference. This program has won over 200 games in the last four years and hasn't really had what I would call bad weekend in that time, so we would have to assume that a bad weekend would show itself at some point.

The young guys have been doing just fine IMO, and are right where we would expect them to be. Our veterans need to step up right now and take the reins, I love when freshmen are given the opportunity to contribute, but relying on them is a dangerous game, and one that usually does not result in success in the post season.

One thing to consider, that I think a lot of people outside of the state of South Carolina do not realize, is that when Coastal plays a team from a Major conference in a tournament or in a midweek, they do not throw their 1, 2, or 3. They typically will either throw their midweek guy, or a seldom worked guy.

Now that certainly doesn't excuse all of these losses, especially not the Cal loss. However, it's just something to consider that when these matchups happen, it's not always Coastal "A" roster and not always a weekend guy throwing.

All that being said, has horrible as this weekend was, it is just that...a weekend. Look for them to get things on track.
0 permalink
2/28/2011 12:05:31 PM

Stork
Stork
Who did they throw against Cal. Seems like they would throw their A team out there to boost their RPI
0 permalink
2/28/2011 12:51:05 PM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
I remember one pretty bad weekend for the Chants. It wasn't in the regular season though.

Nuke LaLoosh wrote:
I think its a combination of both. Some of it, to be honest is just baseball. Their run last year was unprecedented, and going undefeated and winning 55 games is hard to do regardless of the conference. This program has won over 200 games in the last four years and hasn't really had what I would call bad weekend in that time, so we would have to assume that a bad weekend would show itself at some point.

The young guys have been doing just fine IMO, and are right where we would expect them to be. Our veterans need to step up right now and take the reins, I love when freshmen are given the opportunity to contribute, but relying on them is a dangerous game, and one that usually does not result in success in the post season.

One thing to consider, that I think a lot of people outside of the state of South Carolina do not realize, is that when Coastal plays a team from a Major conference in a tournament or in a midweek, they do not throw their 1, 2, or 3. They typically will either throw their midweek guy, or a seldom worked guy.

Now that certainly doesn't excuse all of these losses, especially not the Cal loss. However, it's just something to consider that when these matchups happen, it's not always Coastal "A" roster and not always a weekend guy throwing.

All that being said, has horrible as this weekend was, it is just that...a weekend. Look for them to get things on track.
0 permalink
2/28/2011 1:26:33 PM

Nuke LaLoosh
Nuke LaLoosh
We threw Meo against Cal, so no excuses there, and I wasn't trying to imply that during a tournament we would never have an ace matched up with a top end team. I was simply stating that because I think the going thought is that Mid-Majors throw their best guy against the big boys and hope to win. Coastal's philosophy has always been a little different, and it is...we're good enough to win with any of our guys, and we're not breaking our rotation for UNC, Clemson, UVA, etc. (that is when we play them in the regular season).

Now, obviously the big boys aren't throwing their ace in a midweek against Coastal either. But logic should dictate that the 4th or 5th guy at UNC should be better than the 4th or 5th at Coastal. Again, not making excuses for us, because to get to the level that Coastal wants to get to, we need to be able to beat these teams regardless of who we throw.

Heels, I remember that series well. It was by far the hottest I have ever been at a sporting event in my life. It was absolutely suffocating on those metal bleachers. Unfortunately on that weekend, I wouldn't say we had a bad weekend as much as we were severely outmatched. You guys were unbelievable that year. We didn't play great, but it wouldn't have mattered one way or the other that year.

*Side note to that UNC series, that was the weekend I gained a new found respect for your program and your fans. Rico Noel was freshman playing out of position and had a BRUTAL weekend in the field. After one inning mercifully ended, in which Rico had booted several routine plays, the Heels fans gave him a standing ovation, not in mockery, but in support. As he left the field he tipped his cap to you guys. I personally know I have never forgotten the class shown by you guys that weekend.
0 permalink
2/28/2011 2:28:48 PM

FLFinest
FLFinest
Jacksonville University sweeping a 5-0 (hot start) Samford team. They have huge match up with College of Charleston Tuesday. Matt Tomshaw is back on the hill - They are 6-2 without the services of Top Pitcher thus far.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » What was the weekend's biggest surprise?