Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 Predictions: Week 6

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 3 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/20/2012 5:57:38 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Week 6

Using Perfect Game's rankings this week, all teams but Wazzu and Utah are in the top 50.

This week's games
  • #7 Ariz at #26 OSU
  • #39 Cal at #17 ASU
  • WSU at #6 UCLA
  • #43 USC at #2 Stan
  • Utah at #27 Ore
  • CS Bakersfield (YYB) at #40 UW
Week 5 Series
  • The top series this weekend is one I called out before the season as a key to not only Oregon State’s conference title hopes, but also one that would have an impact on Arizona and the rest of the conference. If the Beavers win this series, especially with their pitching situation still in flux, it signals their potential to stay at the top throughout conference play. Arizona faces Stanford the following week, and a poor showing in Corvallis could put the Cats in a hole quickly.
  • The other key contest between ranked teams has Cal visiting Arizona State. Both are good teams, yet both are under .500 in conference after one week of play. One of them could very well be stuck in the cellar for a while if they lose this series. ASU’s next conference opponent will be Oregon in Eugene; Cal will have two weeks to regroup, but will be heading to the Lone Star State to play Texas for four games--not a good situation for “licking one’s wounds”. Playing at home, give the Devils the advantage.
  • Wazzu visits UCLA, one of three top-ten Pac-12 teams. The Cougs are inconsistent, but they still managed to take the first game last weekend from Arizona and played the Cats tough. UCLA is playing much better than at the start of the season, but I can’t forget that they lost two to Maryland. Bruins are favored, but look for some close games if they make any mistakes.
  • What an unpleasant surprise last weekend was for the Trojans, who looked to be building on some very good wins against nonconference heavyweights then lost two (and almost three) to Utah. Now they travel to Palo Alto to take on a well-rested Stanford and their #2 ranking. I think USC still has some good one-two arms and could put up a fight. But it looks like another setback for the Trojans. They may have to wait for their trip next week to the Palouse for some redemption. Note: This series does not start until Saturday.
  • The upstart Utes visit Oregon and probably get their one-week-late hazing as newbs to the conference. Everyone expected a USC blowout that never came. It would be silly to think they could avoid their medicine two weeks in a row, especially from a Duck team that had its own USC-like disappointing weekend against UW.
  • The nonconference affair this week is Cal State Bakersfield at UW. The Roadrunners are 7-11 with a couple of good wins under their belts (Kansas State, Fresno State, Portland). But with the way the Dawgs are playing, even in that scrub field they call home, it’s hard to think CSUB will come out with a series win.
0 permalink
3/20/2012 6:59:12 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Hmmm. More interesting lineups this week. Okay.....

OSU 2-1
ASU 3-0
UCLA 2-1
Stan 3-0
Ore 3-0
UW 2-1

Dam this is exciting!!!!

GO BEAVS
0 permalink
3/20/2012 7:22:11 PM

WildCard85
WildCard85
OSU 2-1
ASU 2-1
UCLA 2-1
STAN 3-0
ORE 2-1
UW 3-0

GO CARDINAL !!!!!
0 permalink
3/20/2012 8:04:08 PM

MostUnknown
MostUnknown
UofA 2-1
ASU 2-1
UCLA 2-1
Stan 3-0
Ore 2-1
UDub 2-1
0 permalink
3/20/2012 9:27:07 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I'm looking forward to a great weekend of baseball. RiverDuck, my Duck buddy has invited me to watch the Friday game in Eugene with him. I'm expecting the Ducks to rebound and put a thumping on Utah this weekend. I'm going to catch both of the Beavers games on Saturday and Sunday. The weather is looking great in Corvallis. Sunny and in the mid 50s.

FB, I'm loving your enthusiasm. I just saw you coments on Rivals. I'm loving it.

Ophiman, track me down if you are at the games this weekend.

DM, thanks again for keeping me entertained another week. Great job. It's great to see a few more fans as we move into conference play, especially non Beavers.

OSU 2-1
ASU 2-1
UCLA 2-1
Stan 3-0
Ore 3-0
UW 2-1
+1 permalink
3/21/2012 1:46:12 AM

BeaverBeliever20
BeaverBeliever20
OSU 3-0
ASU 2-1
UCLA 2-1
Stan 2-1
Utah 2-1
UW 3-0
0 permalink
3/21/2012 1:57:52 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Don't have tickets yet...but planning on going!

BeaverBob wrote:

Ophiman, track me down if you are at the games this weekend.
0 permalink
3/21/2012 1:59:10 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
OSU 3-0
ASU 2-1
UCLA 3-0
Stan 3-0
Ore 2-1
UW 2-1
0 permalink
3/21/2012 2:23:49 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Ah, and here I was talking about keeping my emotions in check, then BB talks about my rivals comments. 2Bulldogs ignorance just teed me off. I just re-read the thread and actually found it somewhat humorous.
0 permalink
3/21/2012 12:13:44 PM

Daweez04
Daweez04
Snowed in Cornvalley today, hope those Arizona boys like the cold
0 permalink
3/21/2012 12:43:21 PM

borgguy
borgguy
OSU 2-1 I dont want to get my hopes up too much after just one weekend but things are looking good thus far, but cats are too good to get swept.
ASU 2-1 i just dont see cal getting swept 2 weeks in a row, Devils roll
UCLA 3-0 cougs will play with heart and hang tough, but wont be able to break through this weekend
Stan 2-1 i know everyone is calling for a sweep after USC got embarassed last week, but that was a fluke, trojans garner 1 win this wk and leave the bay area happy for it
Ore 2-1 after dissapointing setback against the fuskies ducks right the ship by getting the series win against the upsart Utes
UW 3-0 Fuskies sweep an overmatched non con feast

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
3/21/2012 1:18:35 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Florida Beaver wrote:
Ah, and here I was talking about keeping my emotions in check, then BB talks about my rivals comments. 2Bulldogs ignorance just teed me off. I just re-read the thread and actually found it somewhat humorous.

FWIW, I considered responding to 2Bulldogs's comments before you actually did, but thought better of it. He's not a bad guy, though he does like to argue. And his comments (regarding stats) weren't that far off. The fact that he was discussing Pac-12 baseball was good, IMO. (He's an Anteater guy, a Gillespie guy, and...a number of other guys as well.) Anyway, pointing out the results of the series and asking his reassessment might have produced more interesting comments. Just sayin'. Cool
0 permalink
3/21/2012 1:40:45 PM

FullertonBaseballFan
FullertonBaseballFan
OSU 2-1
ASU 2-1
UCLA 2-1
Stan 2-1
OR 2-1
UW 2-1
0 permalink
3/21/2012 3:45:16 PM

borgguy
borgguy
i know that this isnt pac 12 baseball related.... but any of the beaver fans on here who live in corvallis are interested; i am trying to put together a city league softball team and need more players. and it would be great to meet some of yall in person. if you are interested shoot me a PM and i can fill you in on some of the deets

THANKS

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
3/21/2012 9:26:59 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
NM State beat down Arizona for the second game 13-8. That's not good. I know the Aggies are a pretty good team, but wow! Now Corvallis this weekend will be a big ? for the 'cats. Especially that it snowed today. Gonnna make for some chiily temps with forecast high temps in the low 50s and possible rain showers for the weekend. Bring your winter gear fans! mukaluks, snowsuits and lobster gloves. PERFECT beaver weather. Ain't nothing like hot beavers to make a spring day of baseball even better.
+1 permalink
3/21/2012 9:34:28 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
My daughter just left the basketball game at OSU and said it was snowing hard -- 5-10 inches of snow possible tonight.
http://webcam.oregonstate.edu/

Daweez04 wrote:
Snowed in Cornvalley today, hope those Arizona boys like the cold

edited by BeaverBob on 3/21/2012
0 permalink
3/21/2012 9:46:12 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
I guess Oregon missed the 1st day of spring notice. Or has winter finally arrived? Sounds like this is the most winter accumulative snow amounts in several years for cornvalley. I remember around 3 feet of snow on the ground in, I think 71 or 72. But dam! This is the end of March, ya know?
0 permalink
3/21/2012 9:49:37 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
FB, it's been a crazy last couple of weeks in Oregon. I think we have had snow 3 or 4 times in the last 10 days.

http://www.bing.com/weather/alert?q=corvallis+weather&unit=F&FORM=DTPWEO&qpvt=corvallis+weather

Florida Beaver wrote:
I guess Oregon missed the 1st day of spring notice. Or has winter finally arrived? Sounds like this is the most winter accumulative snow amounts in several years for cornvalley. I remember around 3 feet of snow on the ground in, I think 71 or 72. But dam! This is the end of March, ya know?

0 permalink
3/22/2012 3:09:34 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I can vouch for your daughters estimation Bob, I left the game early hoping to get on the roads before it go really ugly...my reward, sitting in a ditch on the side of Hwy 34. This is ridiculous and it is still snowing, easily a foot on the ground where I am...
0 permalink
3/22/2012 3:43:39 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Opihi,

Hope you are all right. Usually (from my past experiences) a ditch is the least damaging place to end up. Guardrails, other cars, etc. usually hurt cars, trucks, whatevers, real bad. The ditch is the most embarrassing though. Gotta sit and ask for help to get out.

As long as the field is playable on Friday afternoon, I'm good with the snow. Of course, it was sunny and 81 here yesterday.
edited by Florida Beaver on 3/22/2012
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 Predictions: Week 6